Dress Code in MDR on Freedom

This will be our very first cruise on the LOS please help me with what to pack for the MD. I'm confused with what the dress code is and what people really wear. I told my DH that he must bring dress pants for the MD, but he can bring jeans? I also told him he has to wear his suit to the formal nights and he wasn't to excited. Please help clarify what is ok. He really prefers to dress a little more on the causal side, say a pullover with kaki shorts or jeans. We would prefer to blend in with everyone else. Thanks

Edited by lbylore

This will be our very first cruise on the LOS please help me with what to pack for the MD. I'm confused with what the dress code is and what people really wear. I told my DH that he must bring dress pants for the MD, but he can bring jeans? I also told him he has to wear his suit to the formal nights and he wasn't to excited. Please help clarify what is ok. He really prefers to dress a little more on the causal side, say a pullover with kaki shorts or jeans. We would prefer to blend in with everyone else. Thanks

He can wear jeans. For formal night, there will be men in tuxes, men in suits, men in sport coats, men in shirt & tie, men in shirts with no ties. Shorts & men's tank tops are considered to be prohibited.

Sherri:)

He can wear jeans. For formal night, there will be men in tuxes, men in suits, men in sport coats, men in shirt & tie, men in shirts with no ties. Shorts & men's tank tops are considered to be prohibited.

Sherri:)

Thank you, now I know my options.

One quick question- On the first night, it states that dress is casual. I had assumed it meant shorts, but now I see that shorts aren't recommended. Will we have our suitcases in time to change or would it be better to wear long pants for boarding? We have kids who like to eat early (~5:30).

One quick question- On the first night, it states that dress is casual. I had assumed it meant shorts, but now I see that shorts aren't recommended. Will we have our suitcases in time to change or would it be better to wear long pants for boarding? We have kids who like to eat early (~5:30).

You will usually have your suitcases before dinner. However, just in case, I take a pair of long pants in my carry-on.

You should be fine in shorts on the first night. Never seen anyone turned away that day as pax don't always have their baggage yet. Other nights may be another story.

This is from my review of the MDR clothing on our Freedom cruise:

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard - I had on shorts and a polo shirt as our luggage didn't arrive till after dinner)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tux, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but it was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR.

Edited by bigque

RCCL almost never enforces the dress code. You will see trashy people in torn shorts, jeans and t-shirts on formal nights. They look awful and could care less that they do.

why should they care when there are so many others racing to do it for them?

Shirt, tie, pants, and jacket really DO make the man.

hero.jpg

Oddly enough, saw somebody wearing a jacket and tie that wasn't too terribly far off from Rodney. Thought the guy might have been going to a "Revenge of the Nerds" screening.

Also saw people in shorts at Giovanni's.

That would be me, on embarkation day. I specifically asked when I made my reservation that afternoon (in person) and the person taking the reservation said shorts were not a problem on that night.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but it was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR.

Which is a crying shame. :(

RCCL almost never enforces the dress code. You will see trashy people in torn shorts, jeans and t-shirts on formal nights. They look awful and could care less that they do.

what makes a person in torn shorts trashy. maybe the airline lost his luggage and that was all that was available for him to wear. you do not know his circumstance. :confused::confused:

You do not have to worry about the SUGGESTED FORMAL DRESS NIGHTS, unless you wants to dress to the nines Formally or Designer chic. You will see everything, and sadly yes some bippy shorts. IMHO, just look a little nicer on formal nights and the fashion police will not bother you.

what makes a person in torn shorts trashy. maybe the airline lost his luggage and that was all that was available for him to wear. you do not know his circumstance. :confused::confused:

We are just going to have to disagree. Some of us are less than thrilled to see people wearing torn shorts into the dining room on formal night. But we already have a "People of Walmart" website these days to show how people love to dress at Walmart. Maybe we can start a "People of RCCL" website. Lets all dress however we want whenever we want on the ships and bump Carnival out of their spot as the bottom of the barrel cruise line. I think I am going to wear the bottom half of a Santa costume and a metallica t-shirt on my formal night on the Independence later this month. What do you guys think? Would that make for a good look? If anybody questions me I will say the airplane lost my luggage and this 1/2 of a Santa costume and t-shirt is all I had to wear. It should be pretty easy to find my pictures in the photo gallery if nothing else. :D

Edited by WhenIsLobsterNight

Sorry, if someone wants to pull clothes out of the trash to wear on the plane, they should accept the consequences and eat in the cafeteria or get room service when their luggage goes missing. Or go to one of the shops and buy a decent pair of slacks.