Carnival cruise ships tenders.

DutchCruiseFan

Why are Carnival cruise ships almost never equiped with tenders?

I believe the only cruise ships of carnival having tenders are the Spirit class and the Carnival Splendor.

I have no idea what you are asking. All ships have life boats, some use them as tenders.

Why are Carnival cruise ships almost never equiped with tenders?

I believe the only cruise ships of carnival having tenders are the Spirit class and the Carnival Splendor.

I think when/if Carnival used "on board" tenders it would slow down the process. Those going ashore would have to wait the additional time for the tenders to be off-loaded, fired up.

IMHO - bad idea.

Well, the Fantasy, Destiny, Conquest and Dream class don't have lifeboats that can be used as tenders.

So my question is why is this?

The Splendor and the Spirit class ships are not "Carnival" designs. Spirit class was conceived for Holland America and the Splendor was originally ordered for Costa but transferred to Carnival during the construction process.

Both Holland and Costa are globe-trotting cruise lines, many times visiting off the beaten path ports where there are no cruise terminals or local tender services, thus needing to be equipped with their own. Carnival on the other hand, cruises year round to popular destinations where there's either no need for tenders or where the tenders are provided by local companies.

Based on that, I'm guessing that this is the reason why Splendor and Spirit class ships have tenders and the other classes of ship don't.

Edited by Tapi

I think when/if Carnival used "on board" tenders it would slow down the process. Those going ashore would have to wait the additional time for the tenders to be off-loaded, fired up.

IMHO - bad idea.

We used the ship's own tenders when we sailed on Princess last fall in Santa Barbara and on Holland the previous summer in Sitka. The process was faster and with shorter lines than when we've tendered ashore using local tenders, like in Grand Cayman and Belize, which now that I think about it, had hellaciously long lines under the sun.

In all fairness, there were 4 ships departing at the same time trying from the same spot in Grand Cayman, but in Belize, we were the only ship and the lines were just as bad.

Edited by Tapi

We used the ship's own tenders when we sailed on Princess last fall in Santa Barbara and on Holland the previous summer in Sitka. The process was faster and with shorter lines than when we've tendered ashore using local tenders, like in Grand Cayman and Belize, which now that I think about it, had hellaciously long lines under the sun.

In all fairness, there were 4 ships departing at the same time trying from the same spot in Grand Cayman, but in Belize, we were the only ship and the lines were just as bad.

I had not thought of them in that regard. Funny, on our last cruise Celebrity used theirs as tenders in GC.

Edited by jimbo5544

The Splendor and the Spirit class ships are not "Carnival" designs. Spirit class was conceived for Holland America and the Splendor was originally ordered for Costa but transferred to Carnival during the construction process.

Both Holland and Costa are globe-trotting cruise lines, many times visiting off the beaten path ports where there are no cruise terminals or local tender services, thus needing to be equipped with their own. Carnival on the other hand, cruises year round to popular destinations where there's either no need for tenders or where the tenders are provided by local companies.

Based on that, I'm guessing that this is the reason why Splendor and Spirit class ships have tenders and the other classes of ship don't.

HAL is not using the Spirit class i thought.

It is the same class (but maybe with a different name). A newer generation of built by a different cruise ship builder I beleive. Hal's most recent class of ship (not sure of the name of the class but the ship is Niew Amsterdamn) looks a slightly bigger Spirit class ship. Many features are the same.

The Spirit class are the only 4 ships Carnival has that were not built by Fincantieri.

Edited by jimbo5544

HAL has the Vista class. Carnival's has the Spirit class but they are structurally the same.

The Spirit class was derived from HAL's Vista class when they were looking for a ship design that was faster and could fit through the existing Panama Canal. So they used the Vista platform and tweaked it. The result? One of Carnival's most popular classes of ship, with one of the best space to passenger ratios and best passenger flow.

If you take a Vista class ship, paint the hull white and change the smokestack to a red/white/blue whale tail, it will look just like a Spirit class ship, although the interiors will not

...the Spirit class came in service before the Vista's, so they can not be derived from the Vista class.

Remember that HAL and Carnival are both owned by Carnival Corp. The Vista design was created for HAL, but Carnival launched the Spirit first since they were on a massive growth spur at the time, while HAL growth was more modest with ships being launched more slowly. The last of its Rotterdam class ships was launched in 2000, when the Carnival Spirit launched along with Carnival Victory. HAL then waited two more years to launch Zuiderdam.

Another thing to consider, the ship's own tenders are much smaller than the ones contracted from shore.

Depends on the port. The previous tenders for Catalina held 50 pax max and there were at least 5 continuously in service.

Now Carnival uses the old ferries holding 270-400 pax. Takes forever to get going.

Depends on the port. The previous tenders for Catalina held 50 pax max and there were at least 5 continuously in service.

Now Carnival uses the old ferries holding 270-400 pax. Takes forever to get going.

Interesting I interpret it just the opposite way. I would much rather be on the large tenders for many reasons.....to each their own.

I wish there was a like button or award or something to give to knowledgeable cruisers and forum members (not for well known information) because you would definitely get a few from me Tapi!!!!

Interesting I interpret it just the opposite way. I would much rather be on the large tenders for many reasons.....to each their own.

See your point of view. But waiting an hour for the tender to fill for a 10 minute ride was pushing the limits of our patience.

See your point of view. But waiting an hour for the tender to fill for a 10 minute ride was pushing the limits of our patience.

I agree and miss the smaller tenders at Catalina. The large tenders have a smoke stack that emit a lot of exhaust that was making some in our group nauseous from the diesel fumes. There was no where else to move to to get away from the fumes.

Seems like a reasonable explanation...thanks.