Another packing list question?

suamom

We are sailing on the Radiance leaving on June 26th from Vancouver and have a land tour at the end of our cruise. I really am confused about what to pack. I have read many threads that says to pack layers. What outerwear should we pack...just rain coats or something heavier? Do we need jeans and sweaters or would capris and lighter shirts be feasible? What about foorwear? Do we need to bring boots? Rain boots? Winter boats?

I am a planner and it is driving me crazy that I do not even know where to begin with packing for this trip...

Please your advice is appreciated,

Trish

Your question has been asked and answered many times. If you use SEARCH THIS FORUM with the word clothing, you'll find many past responses. Or look at the trip reports .... josierhodes started her photojournal with info on packing.

The reason for layers is that weather is unpredictable ... it might be sunny and 75 for your entire trip or it might be rainy windy and 50. And it might change within the day while you're sightseeing. If you layer you're prepared for any weather.

You need a tshirt or shirt for each day as your first layer, then a couple of sweaters or sweatshirts, topped by a waterproof jacket (preferably hooded). Carry a small daypack for your layers ... if the day warms up you'll have a place to store the layers or if the day turns ugly you have layers to put on.

I take a pr of jeans, 1 khakis, 1 capri. An extra pr of walking shoes. This is in addition to what I wear on the plane.

A pr of gloves if you're doing any glacier viewing or have any tour on the water.

Sunglasses!

If you read thru trip reports you'll find that some people had great weather for the entire trip and wore shorts/tshirts most days. I've NEVER had more than 2 nice days in a row during any trip to Alaska. Even had snow flurries in Denali in August. So be prepared ... you just don't know. LAYER

What is there to be confused about? Where are you from? Do you have different temperatures where you live? If you are from a warm climate, you will probably need to pack a few heavier clothes than what you are used to wearing in the winter. You should be prepared for temperatures from the 30's to the mid-70's. You should be prepared for wind, rain, and beautiful warm sunshine.

Do you understand what is meant by layers? Layers allow you to adjust your clothing to variable weather conditions. So have some short-sleeved and some long-sleeved shirts. Maybe a sweater or two. Maybe a fleece. Some type of jacket for wind and rain protection. Waterproof shoes will help.

A lot depends on whether or not you will participate in outdoors activities or not, and the climate you are already accustomed to. If it is rainy, will you still go out for hours at a time?

Do not overthink this. Use common sense and prepare for varying conditions. Don't try pack your entire wardrobe. No one will notice if you wear the same thing several days in a row!

There are many, many threads on these boards that offer complete packing lists or suggestions, if you need more specific help.

I highly recommend that you practice packing at least a couple of weeks in advance. You might be surprised at how much space your stuff takes up. This gives you time to make adjustments, and it could help you better relax. If all else fails, buy what you need when you get there.

Enjoy your trip!!:)

The responses above are good advice. I'll just echo portiemom to say if all else fails, you can buy it there.

My last Alaska cruise I'd packed the recommended layers, including a waterproof shell. But when we got to port it was a beautiful, sunny day. I headed into town sans jacket. What's that old joke? "If you don't like the weather in Alaska, wait 15 minutes. It'll change." I got caught in a downpour. Luckily, the souvenir shop I ducked into had hooded rain jackets for less than $20. The jacket got me back to the ship in good shape and became my rainy day dog walking jacket for years to come.

Posts from last summer indicated rainwear and fleece were still plentiful and inexpensive in the port towns.

Vicki

a string backpack into our backpack we will carry off the ship- this is just in case those heavier layers or rain jackets are not needed....

I am currently going thru my clothes to pick my most comfortable layers to wear....for my upcoming trip...

I know my ship has a self-service laundry...so I also make my choices knowing that is mostly available...

I bought a can of waterproofing spray and treated a pair of boot/shoes I am thinking of taking....

I gather stuff in one area and re sort and take stuff off the pile as my choices begin to make sense....

I invested in binoculars for both of us for this trip....

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet
add

I haven't gone yet, (15 days!), but I've done a couple of mock-packings. Sweaters are a big no-no. They take up sooooooo much room. We have t-shirts for next to the skin, long-sleeved polos or tees for next layer, packable down vest, packable down jacket and packable rain jacket. Packable means it will squish down into the size of a man's fist. I threw in a light-weight fleece pullover for me, (I'm from Florida... 50 degrees is deep winter. :)

Our packable jackets go in our backpack. We are going to wear our hiking shoes there, and the Legend MDR will see me twice in each evening outfit.

Edited by Surfwench

We went in 2011 and are preparing to go again in September. I remember last time I took too many jeans. Now we just let the ship laundry our jeans halfway through our trip.

I agree with the poster that said you can buy when you get there. We had nice waterproof jackets from the local sporting goods store. We waited until we were in Alaska to buy fleece jackets to put under them. The jackets and hats were very affordable. It seems like the fleece jackets were 29 to 39 each, but that was 4 years ago.

I took Merrill waterproof sneakers, but I don't think they were really necessary.

Have fun packing and preparing for your trip.

Edited to add....last time I took a backpack, but to me, it was awkward getting it on and off. Not sure what I'm doing this time. Maybe a tote bag. We have string bags too....just not sure what we are doing for a bag.

Edited by Cheryl H

I haven't gone yet, (15 days!), but I've done a couple of mock-packings. Sweaters are a big no-no. They take up sooooooo much room. We have t-shirts for next to the skin, long-sleeved polos or tees for next layer, packable down vest, packable down jacket and packable rain jacket. Packable means it will squish down into the size of a man's fist. I threw in a light-weight fleece pullover for me, (I'm from Florida... 50 degrees is deep winter. :)

Our packable jackets go in our backpack. We are going to wear our hiking shoes there, and the Legend MDR will see me twice in each evening outfit.

Hi:)...I am from Florida too...North Florida....we get way colder than 50

(in Jan/Feb);).....I have been to Alaska 3 previous times and I have to

disagree with your sweater comment....I have some lightweight ones

that I LOVE:)...they are not bulky and I am planning to bring them. They

are great for layering.....

So I guess it is about what is most comfy for the individual:D

I leave for Alaska next Friday:D...I should say I fly to Seattle on Thursday

and sail on Friday.......

Edited by Lois R

Thank for starting this thread. I understand the layers and all that information. And I have searched "clothing", "packing list" etc. but I am trying to find a post by this wonderful person who actually made a list of items to bring on an Alaskan cruise. I have searched and searched. Lol

If anyone knows what I am talking about. Please help me find it. I would really appreciate it.

Edit: Found it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1502039

Edited by coco33

but I am trying to find a post by this wonderful person who actually made a list of items to bring on an Alaskan cruise. I have searched and searched.

And if you read the comments that go along with that list , everyone says IT's WAY TOO MUCH STUFF.

I'm convinced that people complicate the packing issue in order to justify more shopping.

You only need a small suitcase and a daypack.

I agree that there's a lot of unnecessary stuff on that list. Hangers? I've never had a shortage of hangers in my room, and they certainly wouldn't have a problem with the amount of clothes they are taking. Unless they hang every t-shirt or something dumb like that. Even so, you can just ask your room steward for more!

Thank for starting this thread. I understand the layers and all that information. And I have searched "clothing", "packing list" etc. but I am trying to find a post by this wonderful person who actually made a list of items to bring on an Alaskan cruise. I have searched and searched. Lol

If anyone knows what I am talking about. Please help me find it. I would really appreciate it.

There is another packing list which was posted on Cruise Critic several years ago. AFTER their trip to Alaska the person posted the list of items they had taken, then a list of items they had taken but didn't use, and finally a small list of some items they would have used had they packed them. The lists were in "bullet" format. It was probably the most helpful packing list I've read, but this particular list located by coco was rather interesting due to the comments it prompted.

There is another packing list which was posted on Cruise Critic several years ago. AFTER their trip to Alaska the person posted the list of items they had taken, then a list of items they had taken but didn't use, and finally a small list of some items they would have used had they packed them. The lists were in "bullet" format. It was probably the most helpful packing list I've read, but this particular list located by coco was rather interesting due to the comments it prompted.

I realize the list that I linked is very through and I do realize it is too much stuff. If you could find list that you are talking about, I would greatly appreciate it.

Looks as though I posted on the list you quoted. Here is the list I found most useful.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/what-to-pack.html We take two 25" roller bags and small backpacks for day use.

I have a quart bag with cruise essentials -- Duck tape, binder clip, highlighter, magnets for map on wall, etc. It stays permanently packed in my travel tub. Toiletries and OTC meds etc we share. I want to spend my time enjoying a port and not searching for such items. I use a small zipper bag for our med kit.

I found it essential to have waterproof shoes, a breathable waterproof jacket/raincoat, a quilted vest, and smart wool socks.

This is a fairly good list. http://www.windowsofnature.com/Libraries/support/Alaska_Packing_List.sflb.ashx

As is this! http://www.alaskatourjobs.com/blog/only-in-alaska/the-unconventional-guide-to-alaska-dont-head-off-to-alaska-without-packing-these-musts/

Think about packing for 7 days and doing laundry. Synthetic fabrics dry faster than cottons.

Edited by Alaskanb

And if you read the comments that go along with that list , everyone says IT's WAY TOO MUCH STUFF.

I'm convinced that people complicate the packing issue in order to justify more shopping.

You only need a small suitcase and a daypack.

mapleleaves, I have seen your comments on several threads where you mention "daypacks". I have checked my local sporting goods store and they are not sure what is meant by "daypack". Are you talking about a regular backpack, a small backpack, a fanny-pack, or ?? Got a link to a shopping site that answers the question? I could imagine something to hold a camera or 2, binoculars, raincoat, clothing layers, etc. What else do you take? Thanks for your answer.

mapleleaves, I have seen your comments on several threads where you mention "daypacks". I have checked my local sporting goods store and they are not sure what is meant by "daypack". Are you talking about a regular backpack, a small backpack, a fanny-pack, or ?? Got a link to a shopping site that answers the question? I could imagine something to hold a camera or 2, binoculars, raincoat, clothing layers, etc. What else do you take? Thanks for your answer.

yes, it's like a small backpack. It's not a big or deep as a regular backpack as it is meant for day hikes. You could even use a school kid's book bag.

Look at AryMay's trip report, starting with reply #42 and you'll see several photos of a red 'daypack' throughout pg 3. It's similar to mine, which I bought at Costco for about $15. In the main compartment I keep a sweatshirt, camera, binoculars, wallet, poncho, gloves, sunglasses, cap. In the smaller compartment; map, guide book, tickets, snacks, a small cosmetic bag (chapstick, bandaids, aspirin, Kleenex, wetwipes). There is a mesh pocket on each side which is perfect for water bottles.

Hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055691&page=3

We are sailing on the Radiance leaving on June 26th from Vancouver and have a land tour at the end of our cruise. I really am confused about what to pack. I have read many threads that says to pack layers. What outerwear should we pack...just rain coats or something heavier? Do we need jeans and sweaters or would capris and lighter shirts be feasible? What about foorwear? Do we need to bring boots? Rain boots? Winter boats?

I have been reading cruisecritic for the last year in anticipation of our cruise in June (june12th) on the Radiance. I remember reading a trip report that posted a minimalist packing list. Here is the linkhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2061699

This might give you some ideas also :-)

MerLib

Edited by merlib
typos

I admire folks who can pack minimally! We used to be able to pack for longer trips in a carry-on bag until we "aged" and DH needed a C-pap. Now we prefer to let the airlines etc haul our luggage and keep our carry-on items minimal --usually the c-pap in a daypack and camera in it's own bag along with essential meds and Kindle/tablet. DH has a travel vest for his small stuff. I use a cross body bag as my personal item. (Bagallini -- Marshalls often has a good selection). Rain jackets go in the outer pockets of our 25" checked bags so they can be grabbed easily when we arrive in a cool rainy climate. I know that our bags do not exceed the airline weight when packed with our normal items. There is always room for whatever we acquire along the way -- in Alaska it was three Ulu sets and wonderful signed artwork from a gallery in Ketchikan http://www.crazywolfstudio.com/art.html.

Do a practice pack --it's easy to weed out the extras! Think about the minimum you would need for 7 days and plan on doing laundry while on the ship. (I meet lovely folks in the laundry room). Use packing cubes or zip lock bags to keep things straight.

You do not need a new outfit each day -- mix and match. My uniform on our first Alaska trip was a long-sleeve shirt, LL Bean quilted vest, jeans or pointe pants, and waterproof walking shoes with wool socks plus rain jacket. I took a pair of shorts and capris but never wore them. For the dining room I wore the same pants, sleeveless knit top, along with a cardigan and bling. For formal night I have a long black dress that rolls up with no wrinkles. DH wears a long sleeve shirt with tie and washable black pants. Only you know what will make you happy to wear. Don't forget a swimsuit for the hot tubs.

I admit to carrying a travel kettle and unbreakable mugs so we can have hot drinks whenever we want to without having to leave the cabin --takes up the space of a pair of sneakers but very light.

here is my must have packing list

camera,

memory (a lot of them) or portable HD to download images

GoPro camcorder or similar

Binoculars (10x42 or 8x42 with waterproof feature)

rain jacket

tourbook

backpack

walking shoes

Jeans are fine.. but hiking pants will be more comfortable