Going to try Cunard

Sorry, I could not get the link to the e-mail to work. (It could be my new computer!)

The Princess Grill staterooms on the Queen Mary 2 are somewhat smaller than the Neptune suites, but they have a large balcony with two traditional teak deck-chairs. The basic Queen's Grill staterooms are the same size and shape as Neptunes, but better furnished. Personally I don't think Queen's is worth the difference from Princess. That doesn't mean I was disappointed; it was everything it should be and we enjoyed it thoroughly. For $2,000 (is that p.p. or for two?) I don't think I would pay it even if it was for two. Our two crossings in Queen's were upgrades:)that were appreciated. The Queen's restaurant, as I stated, offers some perks not as readily available in Princess. In Queen's there is a butler in addition to the steward(ess) and a complimentary bar set-up. It starts with two litre-size bottles and they will be replenished if finished. Priority embarkation is the same for both "Grills" and the two lounges and deck space are available for all Grills passengers. Princess Grill is just fine for us and we miss it when we travel in the basic parts of the ship, although we have enjoyed every crossing no matter where we eat and sleep. Princess Grill on the smaller "Queens" is a bit different, but that may not matter to you if you are on a TA as those ships rarely do crossings.

Thanks, David. I had discovered that the Princess suites are much smaller than the Neptune Suites. They are about the same as the Signature Suites, which are fine with us. They did look lovely, however. I think the Princess Grill is our choice.

Now, if we can get the good prices on a summer 2016 crossing that Cunard has this year on some of its July, 2015 crossings. There is a $2,000 pp increase in 2016 compared to the same crossing this year. Probably because it is in the beyond final payment date. Think we will wait to book. Thanks so much for your help.

I stayed in a sheltered balcony on QM2. Those are coveted for the passengers that are in regular type rooms. I was upgraded 4 categories. The room was bigger than HAL's balcony rooms with a king sized bed and a separate sitting area. Now I am answering as one of the non grill type passengers, but will tell you I would not hesitate to go on her again. I went alone and had the time of my life. It was a gift to myself as I had just retired. My DH would probably not have liked it as well due to the dress requirements. I did dress nicely for all MDR meals. I did take a couple of formals to wear. You can participate in the Black and White Ball and there is another ball as well on the 7 day TA cruise. I didn't participate in the balls. As it is a TA there are no ports, however, the lectures were quite interesting. The trip before me had James Taylor and he did several concerts. The cruise I was on included the Royal Symphony Orchestra and the concerts were great. If you like to sing, you can join a the chorus when the orchestra is on board and that was a lot of fun. Cunard brings in a lot of interesting lecturers as stated above there are no ports on a TA. The people were mainly English, Scottish and Australian on my cruise. We had a few Germans and some Americans. I enjoyed the passengers as they were very friendly. I would not hesitate to go again.

As for HAL, I really enjoy HALs ships as well. My DH likes HAL as he doesn't like to dress up in a suit. We dine elsewhere on HAL's formal nights. We are heading to Alaska in about a week for a land and sea tour and I am looking forward to our HAL cruise. Alaska cruises are more relaxed and that is nice as well. This will be our second HAL cruise. I would have no issue going back and forth between QM2 and HAL ships

Go up and see the dog kennel on deck 12 if you travel on the QM2. Many people take pets that are going to be in Europe for extended stays instead of flying. If you like to read they have a wonderful library.

I hope you enjoy your Cunard cruise. Both cruise lines have very special experiences.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

WHEN PACKING be sure to include an INHALER for each person in your party. you will find their ships to be very STUFFY.

The last and only time I was on (QE2) I thought I was enlisted back in the NAVY. As a LOWER class passenger I was not permitted to PEE in the same urinals as the FIRST class passengers.

Stuffy - hmmm! I suppose you don't fly economy because airlines don't allow you to use the First class or Business class loo;). You will be pleased to know that on the QM2 there are no public toilet facilities which are available only to those in the Grills. The very plain washrooms outside the Princess and Queen's Grill restaurants are available to everyone, even those using the nearby cafeteria. On the two newer Queens, the Grills area is separate from the rest of the ship. It is difficult for a non-Grill passenger to stumble upon these washrooms because the Grills area is accessible by key card in the lifts or a stairway with a signpost in the centre. Entertainment is available to everyone with the exception of the occasional after-dinner concert (usually classical) held in the Queen's Grill Lounge.

We have just returned from our first cruise with HAL, our previous cruise being with Cunard. We were surprised just how little effort was made by the passengers on HAL for Formal Night, with very few DJ's or long evening dresses on show.

There is no class system on Cunard that would be noticeable to any passenger on board, so not worth thinking about.

As for afternoon tea, well we thought the one offered on HAL was the worst we had ever experienced, they should abolish it. By comparison the afternoon tea on Cunard is delightful and a proper afternoon tea experience, not to be missed.

Overall we wee disapointed with our onboard HAL experience and won't be rushing back, Cunard is in a different league and I am sure you will have a wonderful time onboard.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

WHEN PACKING be sure to include an INHALER for each person in your party. you will find their ships to be very STUFFY.

The last and only time I was on (QE2) I thought I was enlisted back in the NAVY. As a LOWER class passenger I was not permitted to PEE in the same urinals as the FIRST class passengers.

We were assigned separate dining tables and different entertainment times and did not always get the same shows that the 1st class passengers did

When the Capt. was told that I was unhappy and was a retired Navy officer (mustang) he treated me to a private tour of the ship etc. any where I wanted to go.

I know it's not that bad today but ????

SEA YA

When was your trip on QE2? I go back pretty far with her and never experienced the degree of separation you describe. She did start out as a 2-class ship, which was not at all unusual back then. The France (later SS Norway) was very strictly two class then. Only the chapel and kids' playroom were shared. On the France, even shopping was segregated. Same shops, but separate shopping times for the two classes. QE2 was never that strictly separated.

As for stuffy? Not stuffy. Elegant.

Antique Sailor - I feel badly that your Cunard experience was so poor compared to our experience. We sailed in a Britannia Balcony Stateroom. We didn't feel any of the class differentiation that you did and we partook in many of the activities offered on our TA. We enjoyed dressing up for dinner - especially since there was nothing else we "had" to do the rest of each day :D

Our MDR dining pairings were undoubtedly the best we've ever had. There were 4 couples - 2 from the US and 2 from England. All 4 of the men were retired and all 4 of the women were still working - thus the "shirkers and the workers". :D Each of us has something in common careerwise with at least one other table mate. We had a hard time getting our dinners eaten because of all the great conversation and laughter. The wine steward even started hanging out at our table when his duties were completed.

It was a totally wonderful experience. :)

(bold is mine) This has often been our experience on Cunard. On one crossing, we were three couples, about as different as could be, but we had a wonderful time getting to know each other and often were one of the last tables to leave the dining room.

Would love to try Cunard as so much history, elegance .... but all 4 of my grandparents came to the US in steerage and I just cannot get past having a 'class system' on a cruise ship.

Did you parents make the crossing on a Cunard ship?

I don't mean to attack you, specifically, but I am tired of people who have never sailed on Cunard complaining about the supposed class system.

Yes, there are different levels of dining room, but the majority of the passengers are in the lowest level, or if you insist, "class." That's how I've always sailed on QM2, and I have never been made to feel like a lesser being. Nobody walks up to you and asks what kind of stateroom you have or announces what kind of stateroom they have. Out in the public spaces, nobody cares.

The Grills get different dining rooms with a larger and fancier selection of foods. And on QM2 they get ONE bar that is for those passengers and ONE small deck area. Performances, lectures, spa, planetarium, movies, and whatever else is on offer are available to everyone. Grills passengers pay a lot more than I do, and I do not begrudge them their amenities.

My grandmother came to the US on a Cunard ship, somewhere between First Class and Steerage. My other grandmother and her parents came to the US on a Cunard ship. I don't know what their class of accommodation was. But instead of complaining about the long-ago class system, I choose to sail Cunard to celebrate my family history. I go to the wall covered with pictures of Cunard ships and find the ones my grandmothers crossed on.

The part I find ironic is that there are elements of class separation on plenty of ships, and nobody accuses them of having a "class system." NCL's Haven? A friend who's had a suite on Royal Caribbean has told me about their roped-off deck areas, going to the head of the tender line, and IIRC, reserved seats (or a reserved area) for shows. HAL Neptune and Pinnacle suites get priority boarding, the Neptune Lounge (not a thrill, but it is an exclusive area) and they can have breakfast in the Pinnacle instead of the MDR or Lido. Pay more, get more. It's everywhere.

To all of the posters who complain about Cunard's supposed class system, do you refuse to fly on a plane that has a first-class section?

Kathy, you don't say which HAL ships you've been on and I don't see QE/QV in your signature so I'd like to chime in a bit here. Differences in passenger experience by cabin purchased is pretty universal, as is differences by "loyalty system level". While "Class system" is used in relation to Cunard, the euphemism with other lines is "Suite Perks" or "perks" as applied to loyalty programs.

I've really only seen truly equal treatment on a couple of lines, Blount Small Ship Adventures and Windstar. For others:

"Steerage", even on Crystal is not quite equal. I don't get a butler and don't get to order room service from the specialty restaurants. Neither a biggie, but just goes to show you how pervasive the rewards of paying more can be.

Other than NCL which I haven't sailed, Celebriy and Royal Caribbean are probably the most "perk" conscious with special lounges everywhere, reserved sections in often crowded theaters and many restricted "events", as well as a separate restaurant for "Aqua" pax on Celebrity.

HAL is somewhat behind those two but more differentiated than Cunard.

Cunard's QE/QV and HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam are pretty close to identical ships. While I haven't actually sailed on NA/Eurodam, I can say with authority that unless the dining rooms are VERY different from the R&S class ships, steerage passengers on QE/QV get essentially the same lunch and dinner experience as those in Neptune Suites on NA/Eurodam with the possible exception that Cunard dining rooms are nearly always open for lunch on port days. Breakfast for those in regular cabins is similar and Grills breakfast is probably similar to that in the Pinnacle Grill. Unlike HAL, first time Cunarders in inside cabins will only wait at tenders for a maximum of 10 priority passengers rather than for the potential hundreds on HAL. The areas on QE/QV reserved for the Grills are in an area on a very top deck that does not even exist on NA/Eurodam. Everything else is open to everybody. While QM2 is a unique ship and different in details, the distinctions there are no greater than on QE/QV.

I only sailed QE2 once and it was more of a class ship but it's been retired 7 years now, not much more than twice as long as the SS Rotterdam with it's separate stairways, restaurants, and theater sections. It's time to get over QE2 and other long retired ships.

I sail HAL for it's itineraries and smaller ships but have no illusion there's any less class/perk distinction than on HAL.

Roy

Kathy, you don't say which HAL ships you've been on and I don't see QE/QV in your signature so I'd like to chime in a bit here. Differences in passenger experience by cabin purchased is pretty universal, as is differences by "loyalty system level". While "Class system" is used in relation to Cunard, the euphemism with other lines is "Suite Perks" or "perks" as applied to loyalty programs.

I've really only seen truly equal treatment on a couple of lines, Blount Small Ship Adventures and Windstar. For others:

"Steerage", even on Crystal is not quite equal. I don't get a butler and don't get to order room service from the specialty restaurants. Neither a biggie, but just goes to show you how pervasive the rewards of paying more can be.

Other than NCL which I haven't sailed, Celebriy and Royal Caribbean are probably the most "perk" conscious with special lounges everywhere, reserved sections in often crowded theaters and many restricted "events", as well as a separate restaurant for "Aqua" pax on Celebrity.

HAL is somewhat behind those two but more differentiated than Cunard.

Cunard's QE/QV and HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam are pretty close to identical ships. While I haven't actually sailed on NA/Eurodam, I can say with authority that unless the dining rooms are VERY different from the R&S class ships, steerage passengers on QE/QV get essentially the same lunch and dinner experience as those in Neptune Suites on NA/Eurodam with the possible exception that Cunard dining rooms are nearly always open for lunch on port days. Breakfast for those in regular cabins is similar and Grills breakfast is probably similar to that in the Pinnacle Grill. Unlike HAL, first time Cunarders in inside cabins will only wait at tenders for a maximum of 10 priority passengers rather than for the potential hundreds on HAL. The areas on QE/QV reserved for the Grills are in an area on a very top deck that does not even exist on NA/Eurodam. Everything else is open to everybody. While QM2 is a unique ship and different in details, the distinctions there are no greater than on QE/QV.

I only sailed QE2 once and it was more of a class ship but it's been retired 7 years now, not much more than twice as long as the SS Rotterdam with it's separate stairways, restaurants, and theater sections. It's time to get over QE2 and other long retired ships.

I sail HAL for it's itineraries and smaller ships but have no illusion there's any less class/perk distinction than on HAL.

Roy

Well said Roy. Having just done cruises on both HAL and Cunard, I can honestly say that I felt far like I was being treated as a second class citizen with HAL than I ever did with Cunard. From the booking system right through to the actual cruise experience, it was clear to me that the class system is alive and kicking on HAL, but they just call it The Mariner Society.

Hi All-

We've booked the QM2 on 01-03-16 Eastbound TA. I've already posted some questions on the Cunard board but was wondering if any of the HAL posters have any advice for a Cunard ship jumper.

My 2 biggest concerns are laundry and formal nights, actually my wife is more concerned about formal nights than me. Do they really have an inspection before you are allowed out of your cabin on formal night? (just kidding). We are in a Princess Grill Suite but I don't think it includes laundry so what should I expect since it is such a clothing required line even have to wear a jacket and slacks on "informal" night.

Thanks we haven't given up on HAL by any means but there is more than one cruise line on the high seas, and the TA on the QM2 should be on every cruisers bucket list.

Thanks,

Paul

Hope you come back and do a comparison of the 2 lines for us.

Well said Roy. Having just done cruises on both HAL and Cunard, I can honestly say that I felt far like I was being treated as a second class citizen with HAL than I ever did with Cunard. From the booking system right through to the actual cruise experience, it was clear to me that the class system is alive and kicking on HAL, but they just call it The Mariner Society.

I'm curious. What about the Mariner Society made you feel that way? I've never noticed any special treatment, but then I'm not very high in Mariner stars.

Roy, I haven't been on QE/QV. My HAL ships are Veendam, Maasdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam. I thought QE/QV were Vistas, similar to Westy and Zuidy. I haven't looked at NA or Eurodam.

The Mariner Society is a class system??? Anyone who has one previous HAL under his/her belt is a "mariner." How in heaven's name is that a class system? Until you reach 4 stars, none of the perks of being a "mariner" is worth a hoot.

The Mariner Society is a class system??? Anyone who has one previous HAL under his/her belt is a "mariner." How in heaven's name is that a class system? Until you reach 4 stars, none of the perks of being a "mariner" is worth a hoot.

Exactly! Everybody who buys a ticket is a customer but anybody who is not 4 stars is definitely a second class customer.

Roy

On our TA on the QM2 we intersected a hurricane coming up the middle of the Atlantic. The Captain made evasive route changes and the storm veered in a helpful direction. :) so it could have been worse. (The Captain even came on the speaker to jokingly apologize to those passengers looking forward to a thrill ride :D ) The seas were rough but the Cunard ships are built for TA type conditions rather than protected Caribbean type conditions - thus the QM2 managed the storm well and the ride was much smoother than we expected.

I don't know if they still do it ... but on a couple of days the Afternoon Tea (held in the ballroom) was a Tea Dance with an orchestra playing live. The teas were some of our most enjoyable experiences on the trip.

These days my DH does not take his tux on our cruises but he definitely wore it on QM2 and was in the majority. We were in the MDR - He wore a sport coat with button-down collar shirts the other nights. I can't remember for sure but I believe he at least started with a tie those nights.

You're going to LOVE the QM2 !!!!

QM2 is built for TA type conditions, but Elisabeth and Victora have ordinary Vista-class hulls I believe.

Edited by per

I'm curious. What about the Mariner Society made you feel that way? I've never noticed any special treatment, but then I'm not very high in Mariner stars.

Roy, I haven't been on QE/QV. My HAL ships are Veendam, Maasdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam. I thought QE/QV were Vistas, similar to Westy and Zuidy. I haven't looked at NA or Eurodam.

Kathy, the places I noticed that Mariner status affects the experience are (1) waiting around for tenders while others are put in line ahead of you, and waiting for up to an hour to check in while suites and 4 star mariners breeze right through. As mentioned in my prior post, a maximum of about 10 people get priority tendering on Cunard while waiting to go ashore at a port on the Amsterdam world cruise there were probably 800 people placed ahead of me.

I've had long waits to check in with Cunard as well, but priority checkin came with Cunard at 7 cruises and 47 days while at 12 HAL cruises and 157 days I still don't have it.

Roy

Exactly! Everybody who buys a ticket is a customer but anybody who is not 4 stars is definitely a second class customer.

Roy

Why? I don't have four stars, and doubt I'll ever get there. What is it that 4-star mariners get that you see as a significant difference?

Never mind, you answered in your post above while I was writing this.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Kathy, the places I noticed that Mariner status affects the experience are (1) waiting around for tenders while others are put in line ahead of you, and waiting for up to an hour to check in while suites and 4 star mariners breeze right through. As mentioned in my prior post, a maximum of about 10 people get priority tendering on Cunard while waiting to go ashore at a port on the Amsterdam world cruise there were probably 800 people placed ahead of me.

I've had long waits to check in with Cunard as well, but priority checkin came with Cunard at 7 cruises and 47 days while at 12 HAL cruises and 157 days I still don't have it.

Roy

I thought the long wait for tenders was because they take care of the shore excursion people first. I didn't realize their tender priority for 4-stars was part of the delay.

I don't think Platinum and/or Diamond World Club members get priority for tenders. I think it's only for Grills pax. Or have I been missing out on a perk all this time?

Kathy, Cunard has very little priority tendering. I think is is only Q1 which is perhaps 5 cabins that get it, definitely not all Grills and not even all Queens Grills.

In my prior post I had meant to say and forgot that the Signature (NA/Eurodam) and Vista ships are very similar. I mentioned Signature because at one time a HAL employe who was very respected on this forum (DBA or DutchByAssociation) told me QV/QE were closer in design to the Signature ships than the Vista's. I would guess that if QE/QV are 95% similar to the Signatures they are 90% plus similar to the Vistas.

Roy

Roy

Yep Roy, that's what we are talking about. There is every bit as much differentiation on HAL as there is on any other cruise line, you can call it a class system, a loyalty scheme, whatever you want, but the results is the same. passengers are treated differently.

I thought the long wait for tenders was because they take care of the shore excursion people first. I didn't realize their tender priority for 4-stars was part of the delay.

I don't think Platinum and/or Diamond World Club members get priority for tenders. I think it's only for Grills pax. Or have I been missing out on a perk all this time?

On our recent cruise we had tender ticket number 1, having waited for almost an hour in the Queens lounge to ensure an early tender. We were then held at the gangway for a further 15 minute wait whilst 4/5* Mariners took priority, and as the poster says, it's not just a few, its a significant number.

It certainly does seem that HAL has a higher percentage of higher ranked loyalty scheme members than encountered on other ships, pushing the rest of the passengers down the pecking list.

Repeat this experience during the upsell/ upgrade process, during embarkation and you quickly notice.

Edited by Bedruthen

I will be sure to give a report on the differences I notice after our cruise. We usually stay in either a Signature or Neptune Suite on HAL so staying in a Princess Grill on Cunard should be a comparable experience. We are on partnered New York Times cruise so the lectures should be insightful and stimulating. I'm looking forward to the entertainment options and expect them to be much better than HAL's.

My posting on the HAL forum has gotten a lot more responses and buzz then my questions on the Cunard forum. I really enjoy the fact that the HAL forum is populated by so many people who care about the cruising experience it makes me feel like I have more in common with my fellow cruisers.

-Paul

I will be sure to give a report on the differences I notice after our cruise. We usually stay in either a Signature or Neptune Suite on HAL so staying in a Princess Grill on Cunard should be a comparable experience. We are on partnered New York Times cruise so the lectures should be insightful and stimulating. I'm looking forward to the entertainment options and expect them to be much better than HAL's.

My posting on the HAL forum has gotten a lot more responses and buzz then my questions on the Cunard forum. I really enjoy the fact that the HAL forum is populated by so many people who care about the cruising experience it makes me feel like I have more in common with my fellow cruisers.

-Paul

Ouch, after all the back and forth on the supposed class system, I had completely forgotten you were on my crossing. I hope we get to meet on the ship. Enrichment is always great on Cunard Crossings, with the Times connection it should be superb.

Roy

When was your trip on QE2? I go back pretty far with her and never experienced the degree of separation you describe. She did start out as a 2-class ship, which was not at all unusual back then. The France (later SS Norway) was very strictly two class then. Only the chapel and kids' playroom were shared. On the France, even shopping was segregated. Same shops, but separate shopping times for the two classes. QE2 was never that strictly separated.

As for stuffy? Not stuffy. Elegant.

Sorry if my attempt at humor failed. DW and I were on the QE2 for the

5 Day crossing from NY to South Hampton in Apr of 1981. It was our first cruise on a civilian cruise line. Jeanne was 27 and I was 41. Our tablemates at dinner were 6 "lovely" ladies in their very late late 60s. The ship was finishing the last leg of the World Cruise and most of the passengers had been aboard for about 3 months. We were the young "yanks " and pretty much ignored by all the staff except for the cocktail party the night I met the Capt.

We have worked our way up to 5 star mariner status in the 40 plus years since then (on HAL) but will never forget that first experience at sea.

Is the additional cost of a Queens Grill worth upgrading from a Princess Grill? On a TA cruise in July, the cost is about $2,000. And how would a Princess Grill compare (if a comparison is possible) to a Neptune suite?

It really depends upon the individual. As for meals, Queens Grill and Princess Grills both share the same kitchen. In my experience, Queens Grill passengers have a more extensive a la carte menu than does Princess Grill. Both invite passengers to order off-menu (with 24 hours notice). I have taken a couple of recipes with me which they happily prepare. We had a party of eight once and requested the French classic cassoulet which they prepared. The chef asked for 48 hours notice for that meal because he made his own duck confit for the dish. It was sublime!

As for everything else, Queens Grill and Princess Grill passengers share the Grills Lounge and it can get very crowded, especially during tea. We've never really used the separate deck space as we usually only use QM2 transatlantic and the weather is seldom conducive to sunning. Not that I really "sun" anyway. If you have a choice and want plenty of space, Queens Grill suites, penthouses, and duplexes win out over Princess Grills rooms which are all the same size. As someone else stated, QG passengers get two bottles of premium liquor that are replaced if consumed during the cruise. Mixers, beer and soft drinks are replaced continuously. I believe all QG rooms are assigned a butler. It's my understanding people are either intimidated by the butler or don't know what they're used for. I've never understood why, but there you are.

All that said if you want a truly luxury experience, ship-wide, Seabourn and Crystal are the way to go.

Edited by scamper