Prepurchasing shuttle tickets in Juneau

New2cruise1483

Do we need to buy tickets in advance for the blue bus or the white bus to Mendenhall Glacier, or will we be ok just buying them the day we get there? I just want to make sure that we will be able to get tickets without worrying about them being sold out.

No you don’t need to pre-buy your tickets to go out to Mendenhall Glacier for the Blue bus or the White bus. They’ll a have kiosk at the parking lot at the Tram that’s goes up to Mt. Roberts. Be forewarned they sell more tickets than they have seats for on the bus so it can be a mob scene when a bus comes back into the parking lot. It kind of reminded me of when we left the US Embassy in Vietnam in 1975. I’ve never been asked to see my ticket on the way back.

• 1 month later...
What is the latest time the buses go from Medenhall to the cruise dock? Is the only option later a cab? Didn't know there was a white bus.

The white bus (Juneau Tours) does not have a consistent stop time every day. I read you have to ask the driver. So if you need to know the time the last pickup is, get on the blue bus, which apparently always stops running at 6:00. A taxi is your only option after 6:00 if all you want to do is go to Mendenhall.

An alternative is to just rent a car. Avis at the Goldbelt is easy to get to as a cruise passenger- with no mobility limitations. If taking a cab- costs will be in the same range.

Plus the ability to add a few stops, if of interest. Far more efficient use of time as well.

You can count on the shuttle buses ending at 6pm. There may be a later bus, but with planning better to be conservative with the estimates.

IF you want to walk the 1 1/2 mile walk, the city bus may be an option, running once/hour and taking an hour.

Edited by Budget Queen