Avalon Amesterdam to Budapest Optional tours

CarolinaKathy

We are going on the 19th and have been looking over the optional tour information, trying to make decisions. Can anyone provide some info on what tours were worth the time and money

And which ones were just ok. We are planning to use our free time in Amsterdam to visit some museums on our own. What about the Wachau dinner in Melk? In Vienna we are trying to decide between the Schonbrunn Palace in the afternoon or the evening concert with the Original Wiener Salon Orchestra. It seems like it would make for a very busy day to try to do both. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

One of my favorite tours was Colmar - no question about it. I will say that I was disappointed in the free Black Forest tour Just what seemed to be a long bus ride to the clock maker's souvenir shop and then a piece of cake upstairs. I think if I was to do it again, I would go off on my own at this port and find something else to do.

Book tickets for the Amsterdam museums online before you go. Van Gogh tickets are timed, so work your day around that [and plan to spend more time there than you think -- it's that good]. Rijksmuseum tickets are good all day, and you can re-enter. Anne Frank are also timed (I think -- we didn't go). Those are the three that I have heard need pre-ticketing.

Would love to hear about the "included" and "optional" Avalon tours for Amsterdam to Budapest we sail Sept 11 on the Illumination. Getting super excited ! Booked 18 months ago and now it just around the corner :)

For Amsterdam, check out the Holland Pass. It's pretty neat and flexible:

http://hollandpass.com/

We just bought the "Medium" passes and got a great exchange rate with our credit card company. This entitles us to the Rijksmuseum, one other major museum/venue, 2 "lesser" venues like the Heinneken Experience and a 24 hr. metro/bus pass and either the HOHO bus or canal tour. Great deal for the price and you can skip the lines at most of the venues too.