New Dining Policy -- Official as of 4:20 EST

coldflame

What is the naughty room - dare I ask?

From my view, I've had nothing but good times on NCL ships but I have a reason to not sail Carnival.. from experience. I took one cruise and we were without water for 24 hours.. no drinking, no showers, no toilets - not to mention all the broken down ships in the past few years. To me, I feel my health and safety is a little bit more valuable. I have done several 1 night cruises with HAL and I enjoyed those... can't afford Princess.

We sailed with NCL in 2010 and never again. We were all treated like 2yr olds - and the naughty room?

Have you tried HAL? They are owned by Carnival Corp (CCL). Carnival also owns Princess, Cunard, Costa and Seabourn. With the purchase of their stock (CCL) you not only receive quarterly dividends but up to $250 off :eek: each cruise you take on any of the lines. Our stock purchase paid for itself, very happy.

Steve

I guess you didn't bother to read posts from people that said, they took or saw people with snacks in hand AND plates from the buffet especially on the Breakaway-class ships, even though there's plenty of seating inside and out of the those buffets. Even still for me, I don't really like eating in my room so dining in there or in the MDR is not problem for me (maybe for others, but again I'm not them). I know there's more than one free / paid place for food on the ship, so if one place is overcrowded; there at least 4-8 other places to eat aka options (especially on the ships I'm going to be on later this year and next).

I guess that you are not believing the people who have contacted NCL and gotten an E mail response which clearly stated that the policy is no food to be taken to your room. The fact that this is new this week and people are reporting that they are able to still carry food around the ship is not a surprise since staff are still not sure how they are going to address it.

Again just because you or I do not feel the need to eat in my room should not mean that you should be directing to places where you feel they should eat. There is no reason other then money for this change.

If sanitary reason were in fact true they would surely stop people eating pool side as that is far more unsanitary then eating in your room as who wants to be ingesting food particles while they are swimming.

I am out. We booked our first NCL cruise in March. A suite on a 9 day Baltic in summer of 2016. We got in on the good promo with the tips, obc, udp, and ubp all included. I think we would be the type of clientele that FDR would want, as we are not terribly price sensitive and are willing to pay for service if we have confidence in a positive and enjoyable experience. Even though many of these changes don't impact the suites, I have no confidence in what the product I have purchased will be once I board. We are captives once on the ship, and who knows what other changes will be made in the next year? My parents, who have cruised fairly extensively both ocean and river cruises, were going to go with us in a balcony room and I am embarassed to have to tell them about some of these changes.

I have 3 kids. On a port intensive itinerary like the Baltics they will get tired. Sometimes I would rather get their food myself than have the butler do it. I would like to be able to do laundry myself rather than pay $30 for a bag. I would like the kids clubs to actually be open for lunch and dinner so my husband and I could have an adults only meal at a specialty dining venue. I like having milk for the kids available all the time. And I am willing to pay more for an experience where I do not keep getting hit with fees for my convenience. I don't think NCL is for people like me, although a couple months ago I was excited to give it a try.

We are cruising on Disney in 3 weeks and I will book onboard for next summer at that time. I have confidence in what I will receive. I expect prices to increase over time, but I want to know what I am buying. I know I am paying more, but am virtually guaranteed a great experience.

Once I have canceled, I will write NCL and tell them why. I am writing off the cost of the trip insurance I already purchased due to the pre-existing condition of my son's food allergies. They are not just losing old customers, but driving off new ones as well.

You might be able to transfer the trip insurance.

Still think you should try Norwegian although we also wrote to them with our complaints. We are in a suite so many if the changes don't apply to us but we are appalled at the way Mr Del Rio is treating his passengers.

If anyone thinks Del Rio cares, listen to the webcast of the first quarter financial conference call. It's available online. He basically said that social media is not important to their business and said he wants a "more affluent" clientele for NCL. I guess those of us that have been loyal to NCL are no longer good enough. :mad:

"More affluent" cruisers despise nickel & diming, and also have a lot more choices in how they spend their vacation dollars. If attracting those cruisers is his goal, he's going about it absolutely the wrong way.

We sailed with NCL in 2010 and never again. We were all treated like 2yr olds - and the naughty room?

Have you tried HAL? They are owned by Carnival Corp (CCL). Carnival also owns Princess, Cunard, Costa and Seabourn. With the purchase of their stock (CCL) you not only receive quarterly dividends but up to $250 off :eek: each cruise you take on any of the lines. Our stock purchase paid for itself, very happy.

Steve

up to $250 in on board credit, not off each cruise fare.

Steve

Offtopic: How much stock would i need to get the $250 off each cruise?

"More affluent" cruisers despise nickel & diming, and also have a lot more choices in how they spend their vacation dollars. If attracting those cruisers is his goal, he's going about it absolutely the wrong way.

The actual quote isn't exactly what is being repeated to you above. What Del Rio actually said was that the changes were required to retain current customers and attract slightly more affluent new customers.

So it's not an attempt to jettison loyal customers and get Bill Gates and Ophra Winfrey on board, it is an attempt to retain current customers and attract the slightly more affluent cruisers. I take that to mean the customers currently on RCI or HAL (since the more affluent are already served by NCLH's other two lines, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas).

Whether all the changes will do that is anybody's guess. My guess is that unless the second half of the changes are positive changes, then they won't meet the first part of the goal of retaining current customers.

What is the naughty room - dare I ask?

Not sure the OP meant this, but usually the "naughty room" is used for the location where confiscated alcohol is stored until the end of the cruise. They open your luggage, remove the alcohol, and put in a note to please go to a specific place where you can pick up your bottle of wine (if you want to pay the corkage fee) or where you can retrieve it when the cruise has ended.

I guess if you are from a line that allows you to bring wine on board this can seem really, really irritating. It has been NCL's policy as long as we have been cruising them, and like most of the changes recently announced, it doesn't affect our value proposition for cruising with them. If we were dedicated wine drinkers and the $15 corkage fee really bothered us, we would spend our dollars elsewhere.

Is the attraction supposed to be a cleaner ship? Lower prices? Classier customers? Older customers? Less kids? More families? The latest lower prices and better perks are a good start but I don't see what is suppose to draw customers from other cruise lines - do those lines already have the changes in place? I'm not arguing here about the new changes, just wondering what is suppose to attract others? Maybe a string quartet - I've seen that on Holland.

So it's not an attempt to jettison loyal customers and get Bill Gates and Ophra Winfrey on board, it is an attempt to retain current customers and attract the slightly more affluent cruisers. I take that to mean the customers currently on RCI or HAL (since the more affluent are already served by NCLH's other two lines, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas).

The actual quote isn't exactly what is being repeated to you above. What Del Rio actually said was that the changes were required to retain current customers and attract slightly more affluent new customers.

Whether all the changes will do that is anybody's guess. My guess is that unless the second half of the changes are positive changes, then they won't meet the first part of the goal of retaining current customers.

In the quotes that I read in an article quoted in another thread he wants to position NCL on the bottom tier of the premium cruise line ladder.

I apologize if this question has been answered and I missed it , but has it definitely been posted anywhere that food is not allowed in the cabin. Unfortunately there has been so much back and forth and ncl customer service reps repeatedly answer incorrectly.

up to $250 in on board credit, not off each cruise fare.

That's correct. $250 of on board credit per room & it translates into $$ cash in my pocket to spend anywhere I like. Unfortunately you can't get $250 per person even if both people own 100 shares each.

I apologize if this question has been answered and I missed it , but has it definitely been posted anywhere that food is not allowed in the cabin. Unfortunately there has been so much back and forth and ncl customer service reps repeatedly answer incorrectly.

As far as I know, this has been NCL's only statements on the subject:

"For our guest's well being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment, we ask that guests enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary." This is as reported by a Cruise Critic editor.

This is an email response to a question about buffet carry outs from a CC member who posted the reply on this board. The first paragraph of the response was as above, with a second added paragraph as written below:

"This means that going forward, guests are unable to take full plates of food from any of the restaurants or buffet back to their rooms. For guests who need a snack, etc. throughout the day, they are able to take a piece of fruit or a box of cereal from the buffet. Morning coffee and continental breakfast remain complimentary through room service as well."

NCL apparently has no issue with food in the cabin, as long as it is ordered through room service and you pay $7.95 for the privilege of eating it there.

Edited by punkincc

That's correct. $250 of on board credit per room & it translates into $$ cash in my pocket to spend anywhere I like. Unfortunately you can't get $250 per person even if both people own 100 shares each.

So is it up to $250 obc depending on the cabin type you book (as it is with other obc promotions)?

well some of the changes i do like as i am not into the carnival experience myself. i am going to give it a go this summer and see how i like it.

You get the OBC even of you book an interior cabin. Plus its stackable

Unfortunately, NCL doesn't always give the OBC, depending on how the initial fare was discounted. We were offered dinner for 2 in Cagneys and a bottle of wine instead of the OBC on our January cruise.

Unfortunately, NCL doesn't always give the OBC, depending on how the initial fare was discounted. We were offered dinner for 2 in Cagneys and a bottle of wine instead of the OBC on our January cruise.

This is an off topic discussion about how carnival Corp handles stockholders credit. Someone earlier asked the question.

So is it up to $250 obc depending on the cabin type you book (as it is with other obc promotions)?

Just to clarify- this is for Carnival Corp. NOT NCL.

The stockholder cabin credit is per cabin even though 2 people might have 100 shares each. It has nothing to do with the category of cabin- it could be an inside cabin or a Suite.

Cruises less than 6 days= $50 per cabin...even a 1 day cruise. :D

7-13 Days= $100 per cabin

14 Day or longer trips = $250 per cabin.

Princess often advertises 14 day trips (returning to Ft Lauderdale after 7 days) and depending on how you book the trip can make a difference on the amount received. If you book it a two 7 day trips you can qualify for $200 but if it's booked as one 14 day trip you'll get $250. Even though you'll receive $50 more as 1 trip it sometimes doesn't pay since there are other factors involved in the total on board credit such as TA credit & Loyalty credit which can add up to more doing it individually.

I'm surprised NCL doesn't have a similar program.

Just to clarify- this is for Carnival Corp. NOT NCL.

The stockholder cabin credit is per cabin even though 2 people might have 100 shares each. It has nothing to do with the category of cabin- it could be an inside cabin or a Suite.

I'm surprised NCL doesn't have a similar program.

They do.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-5WOY6H/187025060x0x681823/FC8230FE-82FE-4331-B5F6-28A7E543D773/blankPDF.pdf