First Cruise on Celebrity Solistice - Alaska

stl2012

First time cruising on a Celebrity ship and first time cruising to Alaska.

I was given the following to do in each stop.

Ketchican-Misty Fjords

Juneau-Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway-Train

I have a question though. There are so many options to do at the Mendenhall glacier. Can anyone suggest which one would be the best?

I'm going on the Solstice to Alaska as well. We will be doing the adventure cart, horse back riding tour, whale watching, and in Victoria, we're just doing a tour of the city by horse drawn carriage. I would just do what looks fun for you.

I agree. I took the helicopter trip and walked on Mendenhall Glacier and it was a fantastic experience. But, it is expensive.

Carolyn

Another Carolyn agrees! That was an unbelievable experience.

Agree with the others, last year we did just the bus trip up to the glacier and it really wasn't that great, I would suggest taking something that puts you on the glacier. We were underwhelmed because earlier we had taken the small catamaran tours off the ship at the Sawyer Glacier. This was a great trip, that allowed us to see both Sawyer glaciers and lots of wildlife on the trip back. The ship gets as close as it can to the Sawyer glacier but not as close as the Catmaran.

We did the bus trip years ago and liked it just fine - really enjoyed walking around the area. I guess it really just depends on what you like to do and whether you want something 'exciting' or not. The bus trip is not exciting in the thrill seeking sense. Call me a chicken but I am not doing any helicopters. A co-worker of mine was on a helicopter shore excursion in Ketchikan which crashed and all passengers died. We didn't know it at the time, but she was on the Princess ship docked right next to us on the same day. Kind of put the damper for me on any helicopter tours! I know it is not a common experience, but then she probably felt that way too:(