Cape Liberty Pre-cruise Hotel

lawgeek

We are sailing on Summit next month and need to find port close hotel with shuttle to port. We would prefer an area where there is not a high likelihood of being mugged...or worse:eek:...and has decent dining close by. I know it sounds like we are picky, but open for suggestions. Thanks!

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Bayonne, you can walk to a Ruby Tuesday restaurant and there is also free parking during the cruise ( but the shuttle is not free),

We are sailing on Summit next month and need to find port close hotel with shuttle to port. We would prefer an area where there is not a high likelihood of being mugged...or worse:eek:...and has decent dining close by. I know it sounds like we are picky, but open for suggestions. Thanks!

Have you tried asking your question on your roll call thread for the cruise? Or possibly at the U.S. East Coast Homeports section of Cruise Critic?

A very easy/quick search of this part of the forum brought up a thread that I didn't know exist and may very well be your best bet for getting a variety of options/answers that can help you in your planning. It's called the "Cape Liberty 411 (and NYC too) Version 4" and here is a link to that thread.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise! :)

Have you tried asking your question on your roll call thread for the cruise? Or possibly at the U.S. East Coast Homeports section of Cruise Critic?

A very easy/quick search of this part of the forum brought up a thread that I didn't know exist and may very well be your best bet for getting a variety of options/answers that can help you in your planning. It's called the "Cape Liberty 411 (and NYC too) Version 4" and here is a link to that thread.

The folks on the thread Walter mentions are great and very informative!

The folks on the thread Walter mentions are great and very informative!

Yes, they are very good but to start with are you driving or flying and if so what airport. One of the women on our roll call is staying at the Country Inn and suites at Newark Airport. She has several people and has her own shuttle service.

Basically at the Airport there are loads of hotels and the areas are pretty safe since its mostly highways. The problem is if you book in downtown Newark which should be avoided at all costs. The airport hotels are going to be in Newark or Elizabeth with mostly Rt. 1 and 9 addresses. Some have shuttles, some don't.

So you got moved to the East Coast board. What is your budget? What is your date? How many people? Are you driving or flying? If driving, where are you coming from or what highway are you coming in on?

What do you consider decent dining? Quite frankly, there are almost no dining choices at the airport. Many hotels have no restaurant at all. Only the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth have the dining choices of Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and a food court.

There are very few hotels with shuttles to the port and many of them we don't recommend. Most folks arrange a car service.

If you're driving, we often suggest you stay about an hour away to be in a more relaxed suburban setting with dining and shopping choices.

So you got moved to the East Coast board. What is your budget? What is your date? How many people? Are you driving or flying? If driving, where are you coming from or what highway are you coming in on?

What do you consider decent dining? Quite frankly, there are almost no dining choices at the airport. Many hotels have no restaurant at all. Only the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth have the dining choices of Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and a food court.

There are very few hotels with shuttles to the port and many of them we don't recommend. Most folks arrange a car service.

If you're driving, we often suggest you stay about an hour away to be in a more relaxed suburban setting with dining and shopping choices.

Yes, I was punted here. I was in a hurry this morning when I wrote the OP and did not search elsewhere for my answer. It is all good though as this board is more likely to benefit me.

We arrive at about 5:00 pm night before cruise. Looking for a close hotel, but anywhere from EWR to dock is fine. Cost not the biggest issue and would prefer to eat somewhere that has local flair as opposed to chain. All around, we need to eat and sleep and get to dock next morning, not much else.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks! Looks like the proper thread to find what I am looking for!

£*^#^€€. I lost my reply. Short answer - look at Glimcher Realty Way hotels at the airport or the Jersey City Newport area hotels.

If you can give a budget range for hotel and transportation that would help me give you more realistic advice. Don't get hung up on port shuttles - they can be a PITA. Getting to the free hotel shuttles at the airport can be a PITA as well. Private car serviced from the airport to Jersey City, or from the airport to the port runs $55-60 as does the trip from Jersey City to the port.

The airport hotels are airport hotels. The Jersey City hotels are on the Hudson River with views of NYC and dining options.

£*^#^€€. I lost my reply. Short answer - look at Glimcher Realty Way hotels at the airport or the Jersey City Newport area hotels.

If you can give a budget range for hotel and transportation that would help me give you more realistic advice. Don't get hung up on port shuttles - they can be a PITA. Getting to the free hotel shuttles at the airport can be a PITA as well. Private car serviced from the airport to Jersey City, or from the airport to the port runs $55-60 as does the trip from Jersey City to the port.

The airport hotels are airport hotels. The Jery City hotels are on the Hudson River with views of NYC and dining options.

Probably $150 to $250 is a reasonable range. Airport area does not sound to appetizing. Given what have read, shuttle idea has lost luster!

Probably $150 to $250 is a reasonable range. Airport area does not sound to appetizing. Given what have read, shuttle idea has lost luster!

Look at the Doubletree in Jersey City. Google Jersey City Newport restaurants for the choices there. On Hotwire either the Hyatt or the Westin is the 4* Jersey City hotel for $185 - my guess is the Hyatt.

Here are some videos from Post Captain.

PostCaptain

Here's a brief video showing a glimpse of of the Westin, which is located right across the street from a pleasant marina. (And there's a fancy restaurant on the marina property.)

And here's the Hyatt Regency and environs:

Another view of the Hyatt--as seen from the Hudson, starting at about 2:45 into this video:

Look at the Doubletree in Jersey City. Google Jersey City Newport restaurants for the choices there. On Hotwire either the Hyatt or the Westin is the 4* Jersey City hotel for $185 - my guess is the Hyatt.

Here are some videos from Post Captain.

PostCaptain

Here's a brief video showing a glimpse of of the Westin, which is located right across the street from a pleasant marina. (And there's a fancy restaurant on the marina property.)

And here's the Hyatt Regency and environs:

Another view of the Hyatt--as seen from the Hudson, starting at about 2:45 into this video:

Carol, thank you so much! You nailed it for me. Either the Hyatt or the Westin is exactly what I wanted. Now I have to choose! Like the marina at the Westin, but like the way the Hyatt is right on pier/water. I'll let you know which one we book and how it goes! Thank you again! Brendon