MIA verses FLL Airports

crystalaziza

O.K. so please do not fry me, I've tried unsuccessfully to get to the port boards. Here is my question. From Port of Miami (will be on the Getaway 8/29 to 9/5) it is about 20 minutes to Miami Airport and another 20 minutes to FLL Airport. Am I correct? Ya know, I'm trying to figure best bet on airfare home to Central NY, and time wise. I'm trying to fly around noonish, but you never know what may happen. All the years I've been cruising and flying I've been really lucky, but been doing a lot of Amtrak due to flight this & that's. I don't want to get a flight from FLL if it's only $30.00 cheaper. Not worth the hassle and by the time I pay the extra in taxi fares..... Am I also to understand that if I grab a porter or maybe it was concierge and tip really well that he'll walk me to the beginning of the line and right up to customs? This sounds a little like cheating but how often is it being done? and what is considered a good tip? $20.00? Any thoughts.......helpful ones that is. LOL

FLL is for sure further away than MIA... My guess is twice as far, but I am sure a Floridian will chime in. For us, 4 people flying in to FLL was so much cheaper that it made sense even though the taxi fare was more. Plus we stayed overnight in Lauderdale by the Sea for significantly less than the Miami hotels were running during spring break.

No idea about the porter... We only gave him $5.

Have done both airports after disembarking. Personally MIA is much easier. It's less than 20 most days. FLL requires travel on 95 and having done this a week ago, we hit a lot of traffic due to closure of the fast lane on 95. It's more than 40 min.

Could you make a 12 noon flight from FLL? Yes but why not do walk off carrying your own bags? Lines at customs in POM at that time are short and we've always whizzed through

Allow 40-60 minutes to get to FLL on a Saturday morning, and allow up to an hour to get through the airport security lines. Taxi to FLL is about $75-90. Taxi to MIA is a flat rate of $27.

Edited by royalcruz

just as I has antisipated, fly from Miami. It's closer, less hastle and I thank you guys for helping me with my decision. Sometimes we just need our decisions to be made for us. LOL......... We always do easy walk off, it's just getting my 15 year old son up and out the door that is a process!! Thanks again for the help.

I've used porters many times. To answer your question they have never taken me to the front of the line. We always get in line with all the rest of the people. I tip $20 but we have alot of luggage...about 8-10 pieces.

As others have said for a noon flight go with the Miami Airport.

The airport is much closer than Fort Lauderdale and you will pay a flat taxi rate to get over to the airport.

A noon flight would be fine.

Keith

I've used porters many times. To answer your question they have never taken me to the front of the line. We always get in line with all the rest of the people. I tip $20 but we have alot of luggage...about 8-10 pieces.

8-10 pieces :eek: I don't think I even own enough cloths to fill that many suitcases. :D