New Booking and DIY

Jarronwood

As most of you know, the April 2 cruise Singapore to Singapore was cancelled and Azamara have given us a choice of options. We have chosen to do the Bali Cruise to Japan in March and we are now booked on the Quest, but my travel consultant will sort out the flights etc on Monday when she returns from holiday.

I have done a dummy run i.e. looked at arranging flights myself and also maybe a couple of nights pre cruise in a hotel and I was wondering whether there are any pros and cons with arranging your own flights, transfers and hotel accommodation apart from the fact that it seems a lot cheaper than the travel consultant's price.

Would welcome people's views on going alone or via the travel agency.

As most of you know, the April 2 cruise Singapore to Singapore was cancelled and Azamara have given us a choice of options. We have chosen to do the Bali Cruise to Japan in March and we are now booked on the Quest, but my travel consultant will sort out the flights etc on Monday when she returns from holiday.

I have done a dummy run i.e. looked at arranging flights myself and also maybe a couple of nights pre cruise in a hotel and I was wondering whether there are any pros and cons with arranging your own flights, transfers and hotel accommodation apart from the fact that it seems a lot cheaper than the travel consultant's price.

Disadvantage is that you won't be covered by ABTA bond, but we often do this anyway as we have good annual travel insurance.

Overall we like the freedom of choosing our own hotel (thanks to trip advisor), and our own transfers at a time to suit us.

I book all ways, but usually end up cruise only and book my own flights and accommodation. The advantages for me is it gives me more control of my travel and enables me to make best use of spending and earning air miles. It also gives me more choice of accommodation using, as grandma cruising says, TripAdvisor as a guide.

It involves more organisation and involvement and importantly if you are buying airfare rather than using miles you'll have to pay upfront and have some travel insurance in place in case you have to cancel. Booking as a package you won't have to worry until final payment is due. Most hotels charge less if you pay upfront, but far enough ahead and most will be cancellable for a little bit extra.

I used to be a bit fearful of doing my own travel arrangements, but really quite enjoy it now. You do need to have a bit of time to research, but often (not always) you'll save money. Don't forget to look at transfers if you DIY. Google is your friend here or your roll call.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

We actually always DIY. I am a Hilton Diamond member and look for Hilton properties in a good location. We are priority on airlines also, and like to book the flights that suit us. We have never had a problem, to date, doing it ourselves

Another vote for DIY

As Phil says yes you need to do more work, but that is part of the holiday planning fun!

Generally find much better flights time wise, can go high or low on hotel type depending on how long we are staying and it's lovely being able to head for embarkation when we want

It is correct we are not ABTA covered for the entire package but working with mainstream airlines that's less of an issue

You do however need to make sure your insurance covers cancellation by the cruise line. Last year Azamara had to cancel our cruise two days before hand due to an issue with the ship. Direct bookers had an auto refund whereas I had the cruise portion plus an additional inconvenience amount from Azamara and had to claim the balance from my insurers. My insurance was a high street bank account freebie but they were great and paid immediately. I did hear of others on our rollcall who were not so lucky.

So, in summary do it, enjoy the planning and ask the what if of your insurer - do all that and even if you are replicating same flights and hotels as the cruiseline you will save money as well!

I am also DIY, but I have been a travel agent in a past existence so that's perhaps not surprising.

I think if you are flying straight to the ship then straight home at the end then the AZ option may work well, although bear in mind you will have little control over the flights.

However, if you plan to do things pre and post cruise, and not necessarily fly to the port of embarkation, or back from the port of disembarkation then I think DIY is better for reasons others have stated here.

Enjoy your planning ... and your cruise!

What I have done in the past has been to research what hotels I would like to stay in, what flights I would like to catch ect then taken it to a travel agent and asked them what they can do for me. It has worked really well and i have felt a bit more 'secure' doing it this way. I did that for our February cruise with Azamara and it only cost $50 more than what I had costed it myself (they don't do low cost carriers). It also saved me the hassle of trying to deal with Azamara by myself. :rolleyes:

That didn't include transfers as it is easy and cheap to catch taxis to and from the airport, hotels and port in Bali.

If possible do a bit of research, especially on the online booking sites, and you will probably find some fabulous bargains.

Have fun:D

I am also DIY, but I have been a travel agent in a past existence so that's perhaps not surprising.

I think if you are flying straight to the ship then straight home at the end then the AZ option may work well, although bear in mind you will have little control over the flights.

However, if you plan to do things pre and post cruise, and not necessarily fly to the port of embarkation, or back from the port of disembarkation then I think DIY is better for reasons others have stated here.

Enjoy your planning ... and your cruise!

I'm curious about your comment that one has little control over the flights - is Choice Air not available to you? We in the U.S. can pick pretty much whatever flights we want.

Having said that, however, I would only book air through the cruiseline if the savings are substantial, which they seldom are. The exception is one way international fares or multi-city itineraries. Hotels are generally more expensive when booked through the lines because they charge per person, not per room. So count us in the DIY camp.

I'm curious about your comment that one has little control over the flights - is Choice Air not available to you? We in the U.S. can pick pretty much whatever flights we want.

Having said that, however, I would only book air through the cruiseline if the savings are substantial, which they seldom are. The exception is one way international fares or multi-city itineraries. Hotels are generally more expensive when booked through the lines because they charge per person, not per room. So count us in the DIY camp.

Nope no Choice Air for UK guests