Port Liberty shuttle bus

BILLP1

We just got off the Summit today and parked at Port Liberty on May 3 2015. You now have to take a shuttle bus from the parking lot to the ship. You can drop your luggage off at the terminal and drive to the parking lots and take the shuttle bus back to the terminal. Today most people loaded the shuttle bus with their luggage in order to avoid having to return to the terminal.

All that for $149 for seven days.

Oh, boy. Things are really changing down there. When will the parking deck be completed? Is the terminal complete?

The terminal has been complete for months. It was ready for the arrival of the Quantum last fall. The parking garage project is just getting started.

Look HERE for pix from yesterday...

there is a LITTLE construction going on for the garage... and I mean a LITTLE

The parking is MAYBE 250 feet away now...give or take.....maybe more....I am not a good judge, but it's walkable...drop your stuff and people off first..

BTW they now have you pay RIGHT as you turn left between the buildings to enter the lot...previously you drove a short distance down between them and paid closer to where you park. There was *ONE* person accepting payment, and I think that they would have NOT been happy if they were taking cash...and there were about 8 cars in line....

Edited by megr1125

This should help... if not, I surrender!! :D:p

Parking%20to%20terminal_zpsdoapyehk.jpg

The new garage is being built where you can see the tops of cranes in the rear/center of the image....on the returning to the pier/baggage claim end of the terminal...

Edited by megr1125

Very helpful captions! So, I gather, the terminal has separate departure/arrival areas (makes sense). It looks like the parking deck will be closer to the arrival side.

And your estimate oh 250' seems pretty close.

Yes...the exit is, well...if you follow the middle sidewalk all the way back....behind the center guy in the orange vest, that's kind of where you come out......

Hey Meg. The pix are great. It was too cold and nasty in Jan to explore the outside terminal area. When we disembarked I thought there would be a riot in the taxi dispatch area because the snow meant very few cabs.

Anyway remember all the folks who complained about having to take the shuttle bus from the old terminal to the ship and couldn't understand why they weren't allowed to walk across the tarmac? Now the required shuttle bus is gone and folks are complaining about the optional shuttle from the parking area! There's no pleasing everyone.

You know...I saw on another post...sometimes they are using a lot that's farther away, PAST the old terminal...and they MAY want people to use the bus from that area.....though I walked around yesterday with no one questioning me, except the guy directing traffic when I headed to the monument.....

And yes, considering we came back in what? 6+ inches of snow??

Edited by megr1125

You know...I saw on another post...sometimes they are using a lot that's farther away, PAST the old terminal...and they MAY want people to use the bus from that area.....though I walked around yesterday with no one questioning me, except the guy directing traffic when I headed to the monument.....

And yes, considering we came back in what? 6+ inches of snow??

The snow was a mess. I got the dispatcher to put me as an add on into the first cab going anywhere near a PATH station, so I got to explore the Journal Square Transportation Center. There is a big parking area to the west of the original terminal. We parked at the beginning of it one year but we were close to the old terminal because of our handicapped placard. I'll see what happens when I sail in June because I'll be driving for the first time in 5 years.

138East - from your wonderful directions on other posts & this one above I know you are driving down from Massachusetts in June. What is your planned departure time? We are sailing on LOS out of Bayonne in July & plan to leave our home on the North shore at 7am putting us over the GW by 11am. We know the route like the back of our hand because we spent 13 years in NY/NJ & have driven back & forth between NY/NJ & MA no less than 150 times but I'm still nervous! Leaving Friday is not an option (nor wise based in traffic IMO)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to leave no later than 7 am, but probably earlier since I'm an early riser and I will just get up and go. If I get off early enough, I will do toll avoidance and go down the west side of Manhattan through the Holland Tunnel and take a swing through Jersey City to refresh my impressions of the Newport area. With the arrival of the newer and more expensive ships, I've found more folks will consider spending the extra money to stay there precruise because of the easy NYC access. The Newport hotels are much nicer than the Newark Airport hotels and often have good weekend room and parking rates that are a bargain compared to Manhattan.

I also want to have more time to check out Cape Liberty. I sailed on the Quantum in Jan, but I was so excited to get on board that I didn't really have time to inspect the area. We came back in a snowstorm and all I wanted to do was get transportation out of there!