Sea sickness

Purwin

I do preventive medicine - once you're feeling sick, it's harder to get a handle on it. If you're taking Bonine, I suggest starting a night or two before you leave home. If you use ginger capsules, then start taking them the day before, just to get it into your system. If you are using sea bands, slip them on before you board the ship. That's what I do, others may differ, but the method works for me.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

If you are feeling seasick, then take something.

It you take the stuff before sailing, then you won't know if it is the stuff you are taking, or if the sea doesn't bother your system.

You can also just try laying down for a few minutes, or like a lot of other people, just drink alcohol. :D

Should you take seasickness medicine before symptoms occur or on the onset of symptoms?

Have you thought about asking your Doctor this question? He/she is in all likelihood much better qualified to answer your question than people on this forum.:)

Should you take seasickness medicine before symptoms occur or on the onset of symptoms?

Short answer without what a lot of people say they do. Physicians recommend that if you think you are going to be seasick take the medicines BEFORE you board the ship and before any motion starts. Usually the only thing that works after the symptoms start is getting on dry land.

I have just returned from my first cruise this weekend and took multiple sea sickness medications with me just in case. I didn't end up feeling sick at all and am glad I didn't take them before testing it out. A lot of them cause drowsiness and I didn't want to deal with side effects if I didn't even need the medicine. If you get motion sickness in cars or planes, it might be worth taking ahead of time. But for me, it made more sense to see if I got sea sick first.

If you have had problems with seasickness in the past it should be a good idea to take stuff beforehand. It may actually be working systemically or it might just be working psychologically, does not really matter which as it is working. Lots of people use a wide range of things. Some of the tablet type remedies can leave you feeling a bit different as a side effect.

If you have not had seasickness previously and not had exposure to a cause, i.e. never cruised or been on a boat trip and never had any travel sickness on planes, coaches, cars etc. I should do nothing until you at least feel a little ill. This is because you might be all right any way or at least all right unless the seas get rough.

Then just have stuff to hand to use as and when.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Yes, "SHE" starts about a week out.

But then eats a green apple every morning and a few cups of ginger tea through the day, including before bed.

I take ginger before, but Bonine only if/when needed and take a short nap. Usually ginger is enough for me.

DW swears by ginger, pieces, tea or tablets, and green apples.

I have just returned from my first cruise this weekend and took multiple sea sickness medications with me just in case. I didn't end up feeling sick at all and am glad I didn't take them before testing it out. A lot of them cause drowsiness and I didn't want to deal with side effects if I didn't even need the medicine. If you get motion sickness in cars or planes, it might be worth taking ahead of time. But for me, it made more sense to see if I got sea sick first.

Just an FYI, Bonine does not cause drowsiness and it is safe to take when consuming adult beverages. The idea of taking multiple sea sickness meds on a cruise is scary. Mixing them can cause real issues. Find one and stick with that one.