Increased costs

roger001

The Op used the bare minimum which isn't realistic. With the raised DSC (which I will decrease to compensate for room service) and room service fees the cost on a Mexican cruise in a Balcony is more like 10% of the cruise cost.

I think you miss the point of "mileage will vary" - His bare minimum is not the same as your bare minimum. Your situation is not same as other people situations who have no problem with the increased fees and/or new policy changes. I understand that increases hurt you but you also have to see the flip side of the same money issue - to some people the increase was only $20-50 max while to you and others it affected, its in the hundreds of dollars.

Edit: Honest to goodness, it really does come down to what a person paid for their fare of their room choice, what their budget for spending onboard the ship is and what they're willing to tolerate - that's it.

Edited by maywell

The Op used the bare minimum which isn't realistic. With the raised DSC (which I will decrease to compensate for room service) and room service fees the cost on a Mexican cruise in a Balcony is more like 10% of the cruise cost.

The OP posted their bare minimum, and didn't insinuate that everyone's increase will be the same amount. I think the OP was just trying to put it in perspective. Yes for some, it will amount to a couple of hundred, depending on the added services passengers choose, but those are still choices.

I did my own calculation for our cruise in July for the 4 of us, and it comes out to $30 extra per person when I figure in the extra $1 added per person per day to the DSC, the price increase of drinks, an additional 3% on the bar bill, and the 18% gratuity at specialties. But come to think of it, we always tipped at specialties anyway and we tipped 20%, so I really shouldn't have added in the gratuities for Cagney's and Le Bistro. So it's actually less than $30 per person extra for the week. DH and I can definitely live with this, no question. So we are going to go on our cruise in July on the Breakaway and focus on the positives and just have a great time on vacation.

I think you miss the point of "mileage will vary" - His bare minimum is not the same as your bare minimum. Your situation is not same as other people situations who have no problem with the increased fees and/or new policy changes. I understand that increases hurt you but you also have to see the flip side of the same money issue - to some people the increase was only $20-50 max while to you and others it affected, its in the hundreds of dollars.

Edit: Honest to goodness, it really does come down to what a person paid for their fare of their room choice, what their budget for spending onboard the ship is and what they're willing to tolerate - that's it.

I think the underworld has frozen over, because I actually agree with your statement. It truly does come down to value of fare paid and budget while on board. For me I have decided to not go on our scheduled trip, yes we were in a suite, yes I know we weren't overly affected by the new changes, but I don't tolerate bullies, and others in my group would've seen their budget crushed and cannot afford to over indulge. I will return to NCL once the dust settles and what I see is what I get.

I think it totally depends on the fare one person pays and how they budget their onboard spending, which equates to the value one feels they are getting on their cruise. That is why I like choices and that the increases and fees (sans, the DSC for me), was the right thing to do, because if you don't want to pay them, you don't have to. I don't have to spend money on something that (1) I don't want to or (2) I feel is either too expensive or would make me go over my onboard spending budget. When one is given a choice, as to what they want to spend, it gives them full control over their money.

I think it totally depends on the fare one person pays and how they budget their onboard spending, which equates to the value one feels they are getting on their cruise. That is why I like choices and that the increases and fees (sans, the DSC for me), was the right thing to do, because if you don't want to pay them, you don't have to. I don't have to spend money on something that (1) I don't want to or (2) I feel is either too expensive or would make me go over my onboard spending budget. When one is given a choice, as to what they want to spend, it gives them full control over their money.

That's why I appreciate that NCL didn't really add any promos to the interiors and studios -I know blasphemy, but hear me out everyone else[emoji21] . It meant I only had to just pay the fare and not be obligated to actually go in at specialty restaurants daily nor get my about $60 daily worth of the drinks plan. (I'm no teetoler, but I can't do 5-8 drinks per day - my sensibilities and bladder won't allowed it[emoji21] ). And like you said NLH Arizona , completely control of my budget - I only spend when I want spend to which in my case is not much except a drink to enjoy my dinner or the view. Since, I mostly use my cabin to sleep, shower, dress up and rest of the ship is my living room - it makes no sense for to pay for any other category(unless NCL is giving it out for 'free' like last time[emoji4] )

That's why I appreciate that NCL didn't really add any promos to the interiors and studios -I know blasphemy, but hear me out everyone else[emoji21] . It meant I only had to just pay the fare and not be obligated to actually go in at specialty restaurants daily nor get my about $60 daily worth of the drinks plan. (I'm no teetoler, but I can't do 5-8 drinks per day - my sensibilities and bladder won't allowed it[emoji21] ). And like you said NLH Arizona , completely control of my budget - I only spend when I want spend to which in my case is not much except a drink to enjoy my dinner or the view. Since, I mostly use my cabin to sleep, shower, dress up and rest of the ship is my living room - it makes no sense for to pay for any other category(unless NCL is giving it out for 'free' like last time[emoji4] )

That's why those promos won't work to attract my business (well, if they raise the fare too high above the competition's).

On our recent cruise I had an obstructed Oceanview booked, was able to upgrade to a balcony at no charge and was actually assigned a Mini-Suite!! I don't worry about the small stuff!!!