Little Known RC Secrets

Hi,

My bf and I are about take a 9 day cruise on the Liberty. I have been on RC once before but it is my bf's first time.

Are there any good little tips/secrets we should know about? Things like bringing 2 bottles of wine per cabin, signing up for the ice show ahead of time, etc. are great!

Anything else would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Guests are usually allowed onto the helicopter pad. Go outside on deck 4, go forward until you come to stairs, go up the stairs, and continue forward.

Hi,

Keep well away from the helicopter deck, it's awful, the worst area on the ship. No one should ever go there. Nothing to do, very boring.

Pete

Very few things are little known thanks to the internet. Keep reading/searching here and you'll learn lots.

Also go over to the roll call area of this board and find your cruise to sign up for a free meet and mingle with other CC members.

I'll be on the 7/2 sailing of the Liberty for 9 days with my small group of 30 and I always look for the secrets of the very experienced cruisers in these forums even though I've been on a dozen rccl cruises.

The helipad is cool for sailaway, but bring a drink with you.

I'm not sure they're doing the tickets for the ice show anymore. I think they have 4 showings that work around dinner so everyone can go like the other shows on board. Check for yourselves after boarding because I've heard it both ways.

Definitely order 2 apps and 2 main dishes so you can try as many things as possible. It's fun.

Also, chair hogs are in abundance, so be prepared. If you're flexible with where you sit, there are many places to hang out without issue. As long as I'm near a bar, I'm good to go.

Have fun!

Hi,

My bf and I are about take a 9 day cruise on the Liberty. I have been on RC once before but it is my bf's first time.

Are there any good little tips/secrets we should know about? Things like bringing 2 bottles of wine per cabin, signing up for the ice show ahead of time, etc. are great!

Anything else would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Vow to do the things you normally wouldn't think of doing, i.e. ride the Flowrider, go rock climbing, play miniature golf. They make for memorable experiences.

We also enjoy playing air hockey in the arcade every now and then.

I'm not sure they're doing the tickets for the ice show anymore. I think they have 4 showings that work around dinner so everyone can go like the other shows on board. Check for yourselves after boarding because I've heard it both ways.

Have fun!

April 2015 on IOS had people line-up for the ice show (line and wait took an hour for some folks) for paper tickets that allowed you to get in early. Then 10 minutes before show everyone else who didn't get a ticket was allowed in to pick seats. Place was packed but there was still empty seats in back for stragglers.

My suggestion would be to book excursions off the ship instead of through Royal. Some thorough reading on Trip advisor and on the port specific boards on cruise critic will give you great suggestions for reliable companies that do their own excursions. They are cheaper to do this way, as well as smaller groups (usually). I've only had one experience with Royal's ship excursions so I'm not an expert by any means, but I have heard similar horror stories from other people.

We booked a snorkeling excursion in Belize and there were so many people booked that getting everyone organized and off the ship was complete chaos. The person responsible for gathering us all onto one tender boat (they tender in Belize and don't dock on land), didn't speak clear English and she had too large of a group to keep track of all of us. Somehow 20+ people ended up on the wrong boat and by the time we got to land, it was too late to go back and catch the snorkel boat. The woman on land who was in charge of directing people and answering questions was so overwhelmed that the best she could do for us was write our name and room numbers down to make sure we got a refund. She told us that normally, if you miss an excursion because you get on the wrong boat they won't refund your money, but admitted that with so many people on the wrong boat, they were willing to take the blame. Needless to say, we scrambled to join another tour and just by chance ran into a man who was selling snorkeling tours privately and because we had taken that cruise specifically to snorkel in Belize, we went with him. It was less than half the cost and turned out to be the best day we had on the whole trip. And our snorkel group was so small that we got a tiny island all to ourselves and very individualized instruction and care from the guides. There were about 10 or 12 people vs the 50 or 60 (or more?) on the Royal excursion.

From what I heard back on the ship, Royal's snorkel tour that we missed turned out to be chaos, tons of people on the boat and everyone just fending for themselves in the water. I was glad we missed it.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Make a point to watch the sunset on sea days and maybe you will get to see the "green flash."

green-flash-stages.jpg

If you don't know about the "green flash" check Google for more info but be careful of your eyes!

I have tried for years to capture the "Green Flash"

I was beginning to believe there was no such thing

Guests are usually allowed onto the helicopter pad. Go outside on deck 4, go forward until you come to stairs, go up the stairs, and continue forward.

Uhhh, bear in mind that while on the helipad, you will be in full view from the bridge! :eek:

While in Cozumel we walked up to a taxi stand and asked for a private tour... we got so so lucky.. the guy asked what we were interested in and we said history and life on the island. . He took us all over showing us caves and such where he habg out as a kid. Took us to meet his parents and we got to pick up his granddaughter from school... both him and his granddaughter spoke English and his kids were well educated which i guess isnt typical. The cost of the excursion was a lot less expensive than anything the ship offered even with a large tip. We learned all about the history of the island and had an amazing time. Not for everyone and i guess somewhat of a risk but for sure the best vacation day we have ever had.... we pitied all the tired looking people dragging back to the ship from the beach 😉.. this was on the liberty but on the 5 day cruise.