Are there any reasons to make final payment before it is due?

This is why we occasionally pay early - need a few more points for either a flight or hotel using points/miles. One time we paid the 1st leg of a high-cost B2B early, as paying both legs at once would have gotten us closer to our credit card credit limit than we're comfortable being. We always like to have plenty of credit available just in case of any emergency, even though we pay off all our cards monthly.

Wow, totally forgot about this reason. Once while booking aboard with the loyalty ambassador, we instructed her to charge the total amount of a couple of cruises. There was a "sale" on and we got extra points for doing it then.

And the reason I pay my cruise off early is because the peace of mind of knowing my cruise is PAID IN FULL > than the pennies that money would earn in my account. Thats good enough reason to me :)

I will very likely go ahead and pay my 2016 cruise in full in a couple big installments over the next couple of months and then start working on drink package purchase etc.

It might not make sense to some but it makes sense and works for me so thats all that matters :)

That makes sense to me!!! And it works for me as well:D

If you pay your cruise in full early BEFORE the cruises final payment date, they will credit the credit card you used to book the cruise. You do not have to take it as OBC.

My experience with upcoming cruise on Rhapsody. $180 refunded to card.

I paid my cruise in full about 2 months before final payment was due. I don't like leaving things til the last minute if I can avoid it, and I also thought I needed to have everything paid to get my cruise insurance with better benefits. Not sure if that's true but that's how I read into it.

I did receive a price drop after having paid in full (and before final payment was due). They could have given it back on my credit card but I chose to take it as on board credit because it was only $38.

I have always paid our cruises off within 1 to 2 months prior to the date. Then I can relax knowing it is done and also budget other expenses pertaining to the trip, suich as tours. We can afford the cruises, yet it is easier tp budget other expenses on top of the cruise expense by paying it ahead of the due date and paying off the credit card. Last year we went to Sydney, Aust and had 3 cruises and I paid each one off 2 months ahead of their dates.

And the reason I pay my cruise off early is because the peace of mind of knowing my cruise is PAID IN FULL > than the pennies that money would earn in my account. Thats good enough reason to me :)

I will very likely go ahead and pay my 2016 cruise in full in a couple big installments over the next couple of months and then start working on drink package purchase etc.

It might not make sense to some but it makes sense and works for me so thats all that matters :)

Ha! I'm doing the exact opposite. I paid for the two premium pkgs first for fear they may go up in price as the cruise fare is locked in. :D

If I could, I would pay for my cruise on the pier.

You have heard some valid reasons to pay early, but paying early gets you no good karma points with RCI. Paying early just to feel good? Get a savings account, and put your money there. You won't get any interest, but at least you'll still have your money.

There is one major reason I would not give my money to RCI any sooner than I had to... They took over 90 days to process an $80 excursion refund. There are also plenty of posts complaining about refunds from RCI.

Enjoy your cruise.

I only see a lot of negatives.

Other than mentally knowing that you are committed (which could be a "pro" for some), why would you ever pay early?

I pay X number of dollars every pay day until it is paid off. if that is before final payment, so be it. i don't see any cons to paying it off early.

I don't need to "save" for my cruise, I can pay for it any time...and I usually pay early so I don't have to worry about forgetting when the final due date is.

Same here and besides the interest rates are so low it doesn't pay to keep it in the bank.

Everyone has a different opinion. Whatever works is fine.

I always pay my cruises early, I have finished paying for my October cruise and also purchased my airline tickets and OBC. And when I come back from my October cruise, I will make my final payment for my February cruise.

For me it's I don't have to use my credit cards to pay for anything, I pay it all from my checking. I have a "vacation" savings account and I put cash in there, when I see something I like I will book it and use the savings account to pay for it.

When I get home, I don't have any vacation bills waiting for me. Like I said, whatever works for everyone is good.

I remember the old days when final payment wasn't due until about 30 days out and you still got the price drop after the final payment due date. Then it went to about 45 days out for final payment with only onboard credit instead of a refund. Now it's 75 days out with neither. Pretty soon final payment will be due at the time of booking with zero chance of price drop credit and if the price goes up they'll probably want the difference. :rolleyes:

Edited by lv2bcruzin