Best way of getting from airport to ship

cinogirl

We're arriving into Venice from Tokyo at around 3pm on the day we cruise (our ship leaves at 6.30pm). What would be the best (least stressful/fastest/economical) way to get from the airport to the ship? How long does it generally take? Thanks.

A land taxi will get you there faster than any other alternative (about a half hour) and costs somewhere between €35 - €50 depending on traffic, time of day, etc.

A water taxi will take twice as long (or more) and costs over €100.

The ATVO bus drops you at Piazzale Roma, where you'd need to get on the People Mover to get to the cruise port. This is the least expensive option (under €10 per person) but it requires the most work on your part.

You need the fastest option and that's a land taxi. It's a 20 minute drive and a cab will take you directly to the pier, about 40E. ( The ATVO express bus is also 20 minutes and costs 7E pp, but it only leaves twice an hour, and drops you at Piazzale Roma not the pier. )

You're cutting it way too close with that flight. I hope you have a back up plan, seriously. On our last trip we waited at the luggage carousel for 1/2 hr only to learn that our luggage was lost, then waited almost 2 hrs in line to put in a claim. They actually found our luggage in a back room but we didn't leave the airport until almost 4pm after arriving at noon. Granted the 3 previous flights were fine, but it only takes 1. Good luck!!

Agree with the taxi option for your situation. The first time I flew into Venice, our luggage was delayed due to a tight connection in the US. Had to go back to the airport the next day to pick it up. In 2012 and 2013, though we were scheduled to arrive early morning, our flights were delayed and we were the last passengers on board the ship to Dover and Copenhagen (our bags were again lost in 2013, as well). Both times, the safety drill was being given as we were boarding! We did have some backups in place (travel insurance, next port of call had a major airport, there were later flights in the day to our destination, priority luggage service, etc.), but if there’s any way you can get an earlier flight, it would be less stressful on you.

Happy Travels!

You need the fastest option and that's a land taxi. It's a 20 minute drive and a cab will take you directly to the pier, about 40E.

You're cutting it way too close with that flight. I hope you have a back up plan, seriously. ... Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice about the taxi, that's what we'll do. I assume there's an easy to find taxi rank at the airport?

Yes, I'm stressing a LOT about the timing, but actually it's not as bad as I thought - I checked again and we get in at 2pm, not 3pm. Still less time than I'd like though. I do intend to have a backup plan of what to do if we miss the sailing. First port of call is Dubrovnik so I'll be researching how to get there and where to stay in Venice etc. But hopefully I won't need that.

Thanks everyone for your help, it makes it easier to know what we need to do once we land in Venice.