Luggage Tag sizes changed?

So I have these plastic luggage tags holders I use to put my luggage tags in. I printed mine out today for my cruise next week on the Getaway and notice they don't fit in the holder anymore :( Does anyone know if it's a recent change or it's always been like that? I've been sleeping with different cruise lines in the past few cruises so don't remember if this was the standard size...and yes I know I can prob. resize the PDF to printable version that will fit. LOL

Going on my very first cruise in about 3 weeks- can someone tell me what size tag holder I need, or can I just print them out on shipping label sheets (like what UPS and Fedex uses) and stick them on my luggage?

The new tags fit the larger of the luggage tag holders, which I believe are about 3 X 6 inches. It is the larger of the two standard sizes. You can't stick the tags on your luggage. They need to be wrapped around the handle. Otherwise, with the volume of luggage quickly processed, the tags would be hard to find. However, you can just fold them as they will indicate and staple them around the handle. However, most persons, if they don't use a holder, will place packing tape over the tags before cutting them out to give them extra strength. I wold do that for sure without the holders.

Going on my very first cruise in about 3 weeks- can someone tell me what size tag holder I need, or can I just print them out on shipping label sheets (like what UPS and Fedex uses) and stick them on my luggage?

I usually print them out and then laminate them with my little lamination machine ($20 bucks at Amazon). Then I punch a hole in the top, and attach them to the handle on the bag with a zip tie.

The new tags fit the larger of the luggage tag holders, which I believe are about 3 X 6 inches. It is the larger of the two standard sizes. You can't stick the tags on your luggage. They need to be wrapped around the handle. Otherwise, with the volume of luggage quickly processed, the tags would be hard to find. However, you can just fold them as they will indicate and staple them around the handle. However, most persons, if they don't use a holder, will place packing tape over the tags before cutting them out to give them extra strength. I wold do that for sure without the holders.

Thanks! I should probably order some tag holders as I still have time!

Thanks! I should probably order some tag holders as I still have time!

Your first cruise....is NEVER your last cruise!!! So the holders will get used again...and again...and again...hopefully. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

I have always laminated my cruise luggage tags myself, but when I found out that I could order CruiseCritic luggage tag holders for a reasonable price, I just purchased them (the wider type) online - through the "Store"-button on top of the CC page. :)

luggagetag_holder.jpg

I have always laminated my cruise luggage tags myself, but when I found out that I could order CruiseCritic luggage tag holders for a reasonable price, I just purchased them (the wider type) online - through the "Store"-button on top of the CC page. :)

luggagetag_holder.jpg

I got mine from amazon. Good thing they're inexpensive as I bought a pack of 8. Wish they would stick to one size.

I can get my luggage tagged at the port, so I don't have to print/tag beforehand?

Yes. You can get the porters to make luggage tags for you. However, I consider that a "last resort because I forgot to put them on" type of thing. The activity at the port is usually pretty fast and furious, with the porters taking numerous quantities of luggage from numerous guests. It would slow down the process to have them do it routinely. Also, you are relying on them to put the correct information on the tag. I don't recommend it except in an "ooops, I forgot" type situation. My opinion.

I can get my luggage tagged at the port, so I don't have to print/tag beforehand?

I had to wait while the porter looked up the cabin number for the couple ahead of me and hand printed the cabin number on five tags for their luggage and put each tag on a suitcase.

There aren't always several porters taking bags. Sometimes there's only one, and having to do luggage tags for someone holds up others.

Edited by NMLady

Don't print them on shipping labels. You can either print them out on regular paper or do like a lot of us and just get them from the porters at the terminal when you check in.