ID needed for reboarding in Alaska

Nicci1

As responses seem to vary on this board, I’m wondering whether I should take my passport as well as HAL cabin key for reboarding after port visits in Juneau and Ketchikan (I know I need my passport on me for Skagway excursion into Canada).

Your passport is not needed in Juneau, or even a photo ID, so we have experienced so far aboard the Noordam. I think the photo ID is needed for activities on shore but the ship never checks it,

Edited by Crew News

As responses seem to vary on this board, I’m wondering whether I should take my passport as well as HAL cabin key for reboarding after port visits in Juneau and Ketchikan (I know I need my passport on me for Skagway excursion into Canada).

Your passport is not required in Alaska for reboarding. You'll always need your room key/ship's I.D. with you when leaving the vessel. It is recommended that you take a government-issued photo I.D. with you ashore also (not necessarily your passport, a DL will do).

None of the Alaska stops, with the exception of Seward, includes having to go through a terminal building to get back on the ship where you are asked to show that photo I.D. to shore-side security. In other countries around the world, it is a requirement

It isn't required to have a passport unless you are doing one of the Canadian tours in Skagway or starting or ending or In Transit in Seward.

And you really don't need a passport in the other American ports in Alaska, we still carry our driver's licenses with us and I have copies of our passports -- just in case something happens to us.

For every port anywhere in the world that I have cruised the message has been to take a government photo ID with you. We have been asked to produce it only a few times. I suspect you are told to take it in case you have an accident ashore and the authorities need to ID you.

We always take a driver's license. If you are required to have a passport you are specifically told to take a passport. We do carry a photocopy of the passports if the genuine article is not required.

We now carry our passport cards as we had a revelation a while ago that if we lost our driver's license, we would not be able to rent the car to drive home. Plus we always have a paper copy of our passports with us as both fit on 1 page on a standard copier.

Still would be wise to have passport. If something happens and miss ship, airplane connection to catch up could have to go through Canada. I had a friend on a land vacation in US and a plane mishap resulted in an alternate booking that would have changed planes in Toronto, so could not do it because did not have passport with him at the time. I always have mine with me, therefore, when traveling.

- Joel