New St George Hop On-Hop Off Bus

mitsugirly

Ok, noted...you can take the bus all the way on front street right to the ferry terminal there in Hamilton (coming from St George) but can not catch the bus letting people off there to circle around to the bus station and on to St George. (I think I have that correct with my understanding right?).

I might have made a boo boo here. I may have confused coming back from Horseshoe beach to Hamilton. From St George they might end up at the terminal. It's been a while.

Edited by Charles4515

The ferry terminal is at Pennos Wharf. It used to be a cruise ship terminal. Docked there a bunch of times on Zenith and Pacific Princess. It's a short walk to the square. That map makes it look farther than it is. Don't worry, St George is small. You can't get very lost.

So since I don't know the names of the terminals or where they are located, is Pennos Whart where I have the "Ferry terminal" circled or where I have the "cruise ship" terminal circled (since you mentioned you were on a cruise ship docked there). :confused:

I know it's hard to scale to size in maps, but if the ferry terminal is actually where it says "ferry terminal" and we have to walk to the square, it definitely looks like a longer walk than the map from the ferry terminal to the bus stop over in Hamilton, which you seem to think was a long walk. :p :D Just saying...

I might have made a boo boo here. I may have confused coming back from Horseshoe beach to Hamilton. From St George they might end up at the terminal. It's been a while.

Ok. I'll still keep it in mind. I can always get on the bus and ask the driver if we get off at the bus stop or if they drop off right on front street at the ferry terminal. No biggie, but I appreciate it. :)

So since I don't know the names of the terminals or where they are located, is Pennos Whart where I have the "Ferry terminal" circled or where I have the "cruise ship" terminal circled (since you mentioned you were on a cruise ship docked there). :confused:

I know it's hard to scale to size in maps, but if the ferry terminal is actually where it says "ferry terminal" and we have to walk to the square, it definitely looks like a longer walk than the map from the ferry terminal to the bus stop over in Hamilton, which you seem to think was a long walk. :p :D Just saying...

Ok. I'll still keep it in mind. I can always get on the bus and ask the driver if we get off at the bus stop or if they drop off right on front street at the ferry terminal. No biggie, but I appreciate it. :)

There were two cruise ship docks. The ferry now uses the dock at Pennos Wharf. That is the one you have circled on the map as Ferry Terminal. They have moved the ferries there. The other cruise ship berth is on Ordnance Island which has the Cruise Ship Terminal label on your map. Ordnance Island is opposite the town square.

Before the era of the super mega ships there could be two cruise ships docked at St. George at the same time. The big ships can't go thru the town cut to get to those docks. One ship would dock at the Pennos dock and the other at the Ordnance Island dock. Then you might have a crowd at St. George. Since the ships stopped docking at St George and cruise passengers having to take the ferry over from the Dockyard fewer cruise ship passengers visit than when the ships did dock there. Many businesses in St George have closed since the cruise ships stopped docking. We didn't have to take the ferry or bus as much as some ships would move between St. George, Hamilton and the Dockyard. My first cruise to Bermuda did all three on its Bermuda itinerary. My favorite itinerary was ships docking at both Hamilton and St. George.

Edited by Charles4515

There were two cruise ship docks. The ferry now uses the dock at Pennos Wharf. That is the one you have circled on the map as Ferry Terminal. They have moved the ferries there. The other cruise ship berth is on Ordnance Island which has the Cruise Ship Terminal label on your map. Ordnance Island is opposite the town square.

Before the era of the super mega ships there could be two cruise ships docked at St. George at the same time. The big ships can't go thru the town cut to get to those docks. One ship would dock at the Pennos dock and the other at the Ordnance Island dock. Then you might have a crowd at St. George. Since the ships stopped docking at St George and cruise passengers having to take the ferry over from the Dockyard fewer cruise ship passengers visit than when the ships did dock there. Many businesses in St George have closed since the cruise ships stopped docking. We didn't have to take the ferry or bus as much as some ships would move between St. George, Hamilton and the Dockyard. My first cruise to Bermuda did all three on its Bermuda itinerary. My favorite itinerary was ships docking at both Hamilton and St. George.

Thanks for the description. I really appreciate it and now understand. That helps a lot and it's nice to hear the history of the piers/docks there.

Kim

I can't post pictures here but posted on FB a good map with the route marked for you to see.

Awesome. Thank you so much!!! I will go there and print it off. :)

• 2 weeks later...
The ferry terminal is at Pennos Wharf. It used to be a cruise ship terminal. Docked there a bunch of times on Zenith and Pacific Princess. It's a short walk to the square. That map makes it look farther than it is. Don't worry, St George is small. You can't get very lost.

It is a walk to the ferry but doable as I did it today and I'm wearing a boot for broken foot.

We did the hop on and hop off bus today. Works wonderful . The stamp on back of your hand is candy blue . I asked the lady in the visitor's center about it washing off . She said it wouldn't and I told her someone said it did when they applied sunscreen . She said it might so she volunteered to stamp my receipt with same stamp so I could get on the bus . Did not want to take chance as I have broken foot. It didn't wash off.

I'm curious about this as well. 9 years ago my husband and I walked from the cruise terminal to TB and the fort and I remember it being quite a hike. We're going back in August, with several kids in tow, so this hop on, hop off bus sounds appealing...

How long would it take to walk from the ferry to Tobacco Bay or the cost of taxi for 3?

Is St. Catherine beach a very close walk from Tobacco Bay? Thank you!

It is about 2 minutes walk from the ferry to the town square, 15 minutes from the town square to Tobacco Bay. A taxi will cost about $10 total to Tobacco Bay.

From Tobacco Bay it is about a 6 or 7 minute walk to St. Catherine.

I'm curious about this as well. 9 years ago my husband and I walked from the cruise terminal to TB and the fort and I remember it being quite a hike. We're going back in August, with several kids in tow, so this hop on, hop off bus sounds appealing...

I usually walk that route but in the month of August I would take the Hop on, hop off. Or a taxi. That is the hottest, most humid month in Bermuda. It could be very humid. It will feel like a long walk in August if there is the usual heat and humidity. Been there, done that!

It is about 2 minutes walk from the ferry to the town square, 15 minutes from the town square to Tobacco Bay. A taxi will cost about $10 total to Tobacco Bay.

Thank you so much for the info!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/mitsubishigirl19/st%20george%20ferry_zps73mu4fbl.jpg

It is no longer a 2 minute walk from the Ferry Dock to Town Square. Since they now use a larger ferry, it docks outside of town. If I remember right, you have to exit the ferry and walk to your right up a hill. Once you get to the top of the hill, you turn right and walk 2-3 blocks to get to the Town Square. It is about a 10 minute walk back into the Town Square.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/mitsubishigirl19/st%20george%20ferry_zps73mu4fbl.jpg

It is no longer a 2 minute walk from the Ferry Dock to Town Square. Since they now use a larger ferry, it docks outside of town. If I remember right, you have to exit the ferry and walk to your right up a hill. Once you get to the top of the hill, you turn right and walk 2-3 blocks to get to the Town Square. It is about a 10 minute walk back into the Town Square.

It is a 2 minute walk. Don't go up the hill. Walk to the road where is shows the marine service station. It is either a BP or Shell station. That turns into Water Street.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

How long would it take to walk from the ferry to Tobacco Bay or the cost of taxi for 3?

Is St. Catherine beach a very close walk from Tobacco Bay? Thank you!

Yes, St Catherine (and Achilles) is a simple walk just down the street from Tobacco Bay. You can see the fort right there from Tobacco. Just head left and down the street and you are there. :)

Just my opinion (and we walked from the ferry to the visitor center where you get the bus stamp) I personally don't think I would want to walk to tobacco bay myself. Those roads are crazy with the traffic and no sidewalks in a lot of places. We came to the Unfinished church rather quickly after getting on the bus, but it felt like around 10-15 minutes on the bus to tobacco before we made it there. Everyone on here must sprint walk to get there in that amount of time stated. I personally wouldn't want to do it...not in the heat, not with children or even a big crowd walking and not if I wanted to visit more places in the same day. Ehhh, I'll pass and just take the bus. :p

This is what we did...then once we got to the top of the hill and turned right down the street, we stopped at a store, who then told us to walk down the steps (which was behind their shop) to that street and it will run right into the visitors center/town square area. Had we only known this before, we would have saved our legs a little from walking up that huge hill. :o

It is a 2 minute walk. Don't go up the hill. Walk to the road where is shows the marine service station. It is either a BP or Shell station. That turns into Water Street.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. I wish we would have figured this out before walking up that huge hill. Whew!

:D

Mitsugirly, I can't believe you're back already! Did you have any problem fitting all of your party into the shuttle? I recall you were thinking maybe there might be. Also did you notice any taxis at St. Catherines? (just in case there is a shuttle issue, can't expect Mom and Aunt to walk)

Mitsugirly, I can't believe you're back already! Did you have any problem fitting all of your party into the shuttle? I recall you were thinking maybe there might be. Also did you notice any taxis at St. Catherines? (just in case there is a shuttle issue, can't expect Mom and Aunt to walk)

Taxis are there if they are dropping off. They won't be sitting there waiting unless they are waiting for someone who arranged it.

We did not have a problem fitting all of us in and some others as well too. I actually counted how many people fit in it and now I completely forget what the head count was. :eek: I know it ended up being an odd amount with using the front seat with the driver up there. It might have been 13 people? :confused: I just know that it fit us plus a few others. :D

When we first got to the stop (which is basically right close to the visitor center) there were a few others waiting and we had someone in our party using the restroom, so we didn't get on it. We waited "maybe" 5-10 minutes TOPS, before the bus was back (or it was another one). So not long at all. We seen them running all day. It's a wonderful service and we will always use them when in St George from now on.

We did not have a problem fitting all of us in and some others as well too. I actually counted how many people fit in it and now I completely forget what the head count was. :eek: I know it ended up being an odd amount with using the front seat with the driver up there. It might have been 13 people? :confused: I just know that it fit us plus a few others. :D

When we first got to the stop (which is basically right close to the visitor center) there were a few others waiting and we had someone in our party using the restroom, so we didn't get on it. We waited "maybe" 5-10 minutes TOPS, before the bus was back (or it was another one). So not long at all. We seen them running all day. It's a wonderful service and we will always use them when in St George from now on.

Thank you so much!

Mitsugirly, glad your back. Now get on that trip report!! I have a Bermuda cruise to plan for in 132 days!!! Times a tickin...lol

I'm working on my review now. I'm trying hard to get to the Bermuda portion soon. :)

Wait, how are you going to Bermuda in 132 days? Your countdown says the Pride in 132 days. Does it go there too?? I'm confused.

I'm working on my review now. I'm trying hard to get to the Bermuda portion soon. :)

Wait, how are you going to Bermuda in 132 days? Your countdown says the Pride in 132 days. Does it go there too?? I'm confused.

The Pride is doing a five day cruise to Bermuda that date.