Types of clothing while onboard an Alaskan cruise?

knosmoke

We have never cruised a colder weather cruise before! How are the temps when inside the ship on an Alaskan cruise (Carnival in June)? Should we be packing to be cold the entire trip or do they keep the ship on the warmer side? What to pack for the captain's dinner?? Do we even bother with the warmer cruise necessities like swim suits and flip flops? Etc. Help! And thanks :)

I'd bring pretty much all summer attire and a sweater and/or windbreaker - golf jacket. It can get pretty warm in Alaska in the summer. We went in July and sat around and went into the pool daily. Bring a travel umbrella, I don't think you could go a week without a least one day needing it and insect repellent. I've seen birds in the lower 48 smaller then Alaska mosquitos!

Edited by marco

Interior will be similar to anywhere else IMHO.

The pool is a different entirely, it will be "summer" but its up north and a tropic rain forest so to speak. Hope for 70-80's and sun expect 50-60s and continuous rain. I've seen people in their swimsuit and flops catching good sun or huddling in the hot tub

For formal night just like anywhere else, suit fits you in with the crowd, tux puts you on one end of the distribution, slacks and polo shirt the other end.

We have never cruised a colder weather cruise before! How are the temps when inside the ship on an Alaskan cruise (Carnival in June)? Should we be packing to be cold the entire trip or do they keep the ship on the warmer side? What to pack for the captain's dinner?? Do we even bother with the warmer cruise necessities like swim suits and flip flops? Etc. Help! And thanks :)

The interior of the ship will be warm, room temperature. If you want to spend time outdoors you should have some warm clothing with you, and a hooded rainproof jacket. It is (as mentioned) a rainforest, so can be rainy and it can be chilly, even in summer. And when the ship is moving, the wind can be cool to darn cold. My first trip to Alaska I froze most of the time because I was not prepared with clothes for rain and cold.

Some ships offer a "polar bear swim" on the glacier cruising day. Could not pay me to be seen in a swimsuit :D but if that is something that appeals, you'd need a swimsuit.

Layers are the key for dressing in Alaska. So you can peel off clothes when it is warm and sunny, and put more clothes on if it is chilly or windy or rainy.

The Carnival board would be the best place to get info on what is appropriate for the captain's dinner IMHO.

I cruised Alaska in the very end of May .I wore pants & t shirts and a cotton sweater inside the boat . No one was in flip flops or summer attire . The pool was empty except for a few brave souls .Think of fall attire .As for the Captain's dinner I saw the most casual outfits I have ever seen on a cruise that night & it was on Carnival.

Edited by Sailor_Sally

The temperature in the ship is consistent with the temperature inside everywhere else in the world. If it's hot, they turn on the air conditioning; if cold, they have central heating. (Or warm air conditioning.)

As for swimming, Alaska's not famous for its beaches. But the ship's pool may be heated. If you carry a lightweight swimming costume - they don't weigh much - you can keep your options open.

I am going to Alaska on the Volendam in August. What temperatures should be expected in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan? Should I wear long sleeves on its sea day? What about capris instead of long pants in ports?

So far these are on my packing list:

Jeans

Khakis

Slacks

Capris

Sweatshirt

LS t-shirt

7 t-shirts

Cardigan

Raincoat

I am going to Alaska on the Volendam in August. What temperatures should be expected in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan? Should I wear long sleeves on its sea day? What about capris instead of long pants in ports?

You may be able to predict Gainesville weather 3 months in advance, but that doesn't work for Alaska. Wear warm clothes if it's cold, and take them off if it's hot. Take cold weather clothes, because there's no point being uncomfortable on holiday through trying to save a little bit of packing space.

This past winter, it was warmer and less snowy north of the Arctic Circle than it was here in Massachusetts, so Alaska weather is nothing if not unpredictable! (But you won't be cruising anywhere near the Arctic Circle.)

If you're sailing in Glacier Bay, it is COLD on deck, since it is, essentially, one big ice box. Be prepared for that. (On our veranda I had on all my warm clothes, plus my robe, plus a blanket, after a while!) But it is possible to find indoor areas from which to take in the views. Just get to them early to get a good vantage point.

I just Googled a couple of ports for average summer temps, and officially they're in the 60's. However, even as early as May we had temps up in Denali that varied from about 50 up to probably 80 in one hour. I'm not even kidding. It depended on if the sun was behind a cloud or not. Jacket on, jacket off, jacket on, jacket off. :eek:

Any excursions on the water, such as a whale watch will be on the cooler side, most likely.

You might welcome having lightweight gloves and a hat or hood available. Tights or pantyhose under pants can go a long way toward just enough of an extra layer of warmth.

Or, it could be 80 and above...

Inside the ship is the same as inside any ship, anywhere.

Edited by srlafleur

2 Alaska cruises and we brought and used swimsuits and flip-flops both times.

Aside from the pool-which was covered and heated-there is also the spa, tons of hot tubs and saunas.

You may be able to predict Gainesville weather 3 months in advance, but that doesn't work for Alaska. Wear warm clothes if it's cold, and take them off if it's hot. Take cold weather clothes, because there's no point being uncomfortable on holiday through trying to save a little bit of packing space.

Unfortunately, for us "trying to save a little bit of packing space" is not what we are doing. We are literally forced to save a lot of packing space in Alaska because after the cruise we will fly a floatplane to Victoria. That means we must pack less than 25 pounds except for stuff we can fit in our pockets and a small purse. So I have no choice but to pack as few warm clothes as possible in my suitcase. Because of time constraints, there is no other way to go to Victoria after the cruise.

Of course I want to be comfortable, which is why I am worried about packing.

Just don't wear your bear skin jacket on the excursions. The native population takes offense when Southerners wear their cousins.:D And believe you me, you don't want to tick off your average Alaskan bear. :)

Unfortunately, for us "trying to save a little bit of packing space" is not what we are doing. We are literally forced to save a lot of packing space in Alaska because after the cruise we will fly a floatplane to Victoria. That means we must pack less than 25 pounds except for stuff we can fit in our pockets and a small purse. So I have no choice but to pack as few warm clothes as possible in my suitcase. Because of time constraints, there is no other way to go to Victoria after the cruise.

Of course I want to be comfortable, which is why I am worried about packing.

You only need one thick coat. Pack it from Florida, but wear it on the floatplane (or carry it on). Unless it's one of those services that weighs the passengers as well as the luggage, then it won't count against your allowance.

You only need one thick coat. Pack it from Florida, but wear it on the floatplane (or carry it on). Unless it's one of those services that weighs the passengers as well as the luggage, then it won't count against your allowance.

So one sweatshirt for Glacier Bay will be good enough? What about extra jeans; will I need them if I also pack khakis? Of course I will wear jeans on the flight. I also was thinking about packing capris but have not decided which color yet. On smart casual nights (there are five), I was thinking about packing these tops:

Short sleeve sweaters with floral pattern

Short sleeve blouse with tropical pattern

Lightweight floral top with 3/4 sleeves

Should I wear one of these twice or pack another short sleeve sweater?

Think layers. Really. As others said, it may be rainy, but whether it's cold or warm, that's subjective and unpredictable.

Our Alaskan cruise was in mid-August about eleven years ago. When we got to Seattle, they were having a rare heat wave. When we were leaving our hotel to go to the port, we ran into some people who were checking in after their cruise. They said they wore shorts every day. Within a day or so after our cruise started, it turned cooler. Maybe the 60s during the day. Some rain. Ketchikan is one of the rainiest parts of the world. Our ship, the Sapphire Princess had a covered pool, so if you wanted to swim on board, you didn't have to freeze. It was absolutely pouring when we got back to Seattle.

I would suggest checking out the Carnival website for their FAQs about what to bring and what to wear for more dressier nights (or the more casual options if you don't want to dress up). On our cruise (again, Princess, back in 2004), there were plenty of tuxes and gowns on the two formal nights, but it may be different for your cruise certainly.

And speaking of flip flops, here's our then 7-year-old up on deck during the glacier cruising. She got bribed with a hot chocolate to throw on some jeans early that morning:

2314382750103777938xEncMY_fs_zps808bf085.jpg

Went late July last year. Skagway was nice about 65 degrees, Juneau overcast, misty about 60-65 degrees. Ketchikan RAINY but about 60-70 degrees. Only cold day was glacier bay. We packed with few short sleeve tops 2 long sleeve tops, jeans and capris. Fleece vest, sweatshirt and hooded waterproof jacket. A good hat and waterproof shoes are great to have with you! Have a great time!!!

So one sweatshirt for Glacier Bay will be good enough? What about extra jeans; will I need them if I also pack khakis? Of course I will wear jeans on the flight. I also was thinking about packing capris but have not decided which color yet. On smart casual nights (there are five), I was thinking about packing these tops:

Short sleeve sweaters with floral pattern

Short sleeve blouse with tropical pattern

Lightweight floral top with 3/4 sleeves

Should I wear one of these twice or pack another short sleeve sweater?

I only do practical advice, not fashion advice. :) Which means you don't need an extra pair of jeans - the only reason you would need an extra pair is in case the first pair split or get dirty; the khakis cover that emergency. As for the tops, wear them all twice.

One sweatshirt? coming from Florida, you need a woolly jumper, hat and gloves I would think. Waer those on the plane too - well, put the hat and gloves in the pockets of the coat. A close-fitting t-shirt next to the skin is useful for warmth, too. I think it works on the same principle as a wetsuit in water - it traps a layer of air.

We take waterproof jackets with zippered lining.

I only pack 2 or 3 pairs of slacks for off the ship as well as on the ship. Jeans are heavy to pack (I don't even own any). I take along a couple of short sleeve tops which can be easily washed and dry quickly.

I don't pack a sweater as the lining of my jacket will suffice if I get cold. I only take 2 pair of shoes -- 1 pair is waterproof for outside and the other pair is for the evenings. In the evenings I wear skirts (only take a couple) and have a few sleeveless tops.

Pack for three days and do laundry onboard. Either send it out or do self laundry.

I suggested that to my mom when she underpacked for the Sapphire cruise but she preferred washing clothes by hand in the sink.

We will leave things we will never wear again in the cabin on debarkation day. I don't need to pack light for the flight to Vancouver.

• 3 months later...

Going to Alaska early September. After reading all the posts about layers of clothing needed for the temperature variations, I purchased something called a 3 in 1 jacket. It is a jacket that can be worn 3 ways: 1. The outer waterproof shell only; 2. The inner fleece (not waterproof) only; 3. both outer layer and fleece together for maximum warmth and protection from rain. Purchased online for $80 but there are many others cheaper (and a few more expensive). It is lightweight, wrinkle-free and packs great. :)

So far these are on my packing list:

Jeans

Khakis

Slacks

Capris

Sweatshirt

LS t-shirt

7 t-shirts

Cardigan

Raincoat

We cruised to Alaska twice (August and September), and the weather was pretty much the same both times: Ketchikan, warm; Juneau, cold and rainy; Sitka, cool and overcast; Skagway, cool and rainy. You should take a hat and gloves.

Going to Alaska early September. After reading all the posts about layers of clothing needed for the temperature variations, I purchased something called a 3 in 1 jacket. It is a jacket that can be worn 3 ways: 1. The outer waterproof shell only; 2. The inner fleece (not waterproof) only; 3. both outer layer and fleece together for maximum warmth and protection from rain. Purchased online for $80 but there are many others cheaper (and a few more expensive). It is lightweight, wrinkle-free and packs great. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and I hope you have a wonderful cruise. The jacket you have purchased sounds great....just as long as the linner detaches, a wet lined jacket can be very hard to dry on a ship. On the ship you will see more jeans, sweaters and heavy shirts then you will see on many other cruises.