4 Days to my cruise...MAJOR toothache! :(

I either need to suck it up or try to get my dentist to squeeze me in and hopefully do something to ease the pain without actually pulling the tooth. This just started today, and I have to make a quick decision! What would you do?? :confused:

Check your travel insurance to see if dental work is covered in case you choose to go without seeking medical attention and the pain gets unbearable during the cruise.

I'd try to get in with the dentist ASAP and get an expert opinion. It could be something simple but it could be something serious, in which case, you don't want to be out at sea or needing to cut your cruise short at a third world port of call to either seek medical attention there or to fly home (in which case, verify that your passport is up to date as well).

Edited by Tapi

Yeah, get to the dentist ASAP and get on some antibiotics at least. This might cut down on the pain and keep you from dealing with a potential abscess and/or major infection in a foreign country. You can also get some pain meds. Good luck!

I either need to suck it up or try to get my dentist to squeeze me in and hopefully do something to ease the pain without actually pulling the tooth. This just started today, and I have to make a quick decision! What would you do?? :confused:

Not only the pain, and that's a big deal when it comes to a tooth problem, but most defects in teeth or gums can make you ill too. I have family and friends that held off and braved through, only to much worse off within a short amount of time. Get to a dentist ASAP. Depending on what they find and recommend, you will have to consider taking the cruise or not.

Hope you resolve the toothache soon!

Edited by eponym

I would get to the dentist/or a dentist asap before your cruise. Depending on the problem, they may be able to do something now, to prevent a bigger problem from arising during your cruise, and they being the professionals can offer you appropriate advice. Dental pain is not pleasant, so definitely consult a professional.

Edited by SMSACE6

Get that sucker pulled! I got an absess on a cruise once and went to the infirmary. They gave me some antibiotics and pain killer and I survived the rest of the cruise but would have rather not had to go through that.

Antibiotics is the key. Your pain is caused by infection and antibiotics will ease the pain. Dentist may not even be able to work on it (root canal) til infection under control.

Woke up the morning we where to leave on cruise with a toothache. Fortunately I was able to get into the dentist right away. He loaded me up with antibiotics. Two different ones, in case one didn't work. Worked very well. Was able to enjoy the cruise, came back and had my root canal taken care of.

Oh no! I would definitely get into the dentist asap. You don't want to possibly suffer through it or have it get worse on your cruise.

Thank you for your advice!! I will go see him tomorrow (but he can't pull my tooth because you can see it when I smile!!)

I think we can all relax now:D He or She is going to see him tomorrow:)

(but he can't pull my tooth because you can see it when I smile!!)

That's what photoshop is for! If your tooth is pulled, you can always photoshop one later!

That's what photoshop is for! If your tooth is pulled, you can always photoshop one later!

Or just try to go through the entire cruise without smiling! Which might not be that hard with the granddaddy of all toothaches.

Get the tooth taken care of. Why be miserable on your cruise? Seriously! DH developed an ear ache the night before the cruise. We were staying at a hotel and him and my niece and nephew went swimming in the pool. Later that night, he developed the ear ache. He toughed it out the first day and then it got worse. We made a trip to the infirmary where the doctor said he had an inner and outer ear infection - worse one he's ever seen. He suffered for the duration of the cruise. Don't mess with your tooth, you want to enjoy the food! BTW, no dentists are on board to help you.

Had this happen 2 weeks before cruise in 2011. Woke on a Monday with whole side of face swollen. Called my sis in law who works at dentist and they prescribed antibiotics but when I went in on Thursday thinking they would pull it still wasn't down enough. Sliced my mouth and squeezed (Yuck, I know). Had tooth pulled the next Thursday before flying out Saturday and cruising Sunday. It was a rough two weeks but it worked. Good luck! You're on my cruise. If you're on antibiotics during cruise, be careful in sun. It can do a number on you. Like heat rash.

I'd definitely try to get into to see my dentist ASAP.

If you really are unable to get in you can try another dental office that may take more walk-in's (like Castle Dental here in Austin).

If it becomes unbearable, you could always make a trip to an Urgent Care clinic and try to get a RX for a heavy painkiller and some good antibiotics. I've had this done for me in the past when I damaged my tooth and had a toothache around Christmastime. I couldn't get into any kind of dentist and the doctor took pity on me and prescribed the good stuff.

Edited by HollandAvery