Grand Med in August?

pompeii

I'm considering the Grand Med Barcelona to Venice on the Island that leaves on August 14. I like the idea of adding it on before our Baltics/TA, but is going in August the worst idea ever? I've been researching and between the heat, crowds and even mosquitoes in Venice, I'm starting to wonder if this really is a good plan....

Will the ship be crowded with tons of kids since August is the traditional vacation month in Europe? We can probably deal with the heat, but I'm not sure about a ship full of kids. I'd love to hear from those who have cruised the Med in August, good or bad!

(I tried searching but didn't find much. I hesitated about starting a new thread since I already asked about doing b2b Europe cruises, but this is kind of a different subject. Sorry in advance if anyone finds this redundant.)

Edited by pompeii

Mosquitos would be least of your worries. Yes its very hot. IMO kids would not be an issue. Its very port intensive and your time onboard is limited with maybe 1-3 sea days depending on the length of the cruise. We were up at 5a to 6a every port and off the ship shortly after that after grabbing a quick coffee snack in the HC.

We did not return until late.

My biggest concern on the Island would be the loss of the Universe Lounge/ and one third of the Promenade deck as well as the addition of 150 plus cabins.

Check out the threads on "what will the Island look like after dry dock".

It will be hot, hot, hot. In every port. And even if there is air conditioning, its not like American a/c.

As for kids, there will be some, but not as many as you might think. They'll probably be on newer, larger ships that market to families with kids. Although on all my European cruises the kids have been generally well-behaved. Both Americans and Europeans. Wish I could say that for some of the adults.

I'm considering the Grand Med Barcelona to Venice on the Island that leaves on August 14. I like the idea of adding it on before our Baltics/TA, but is going in August the worst idea ever?

Not even close to the worst idea ever... Going in August all but guarantees great weather.

I've been researching and between the heat, crowds and even mosquitoes in Venice, I'm starting to wonder if this really is a good plan....

I don't recall there being much of a mosquito problem

Heat: OH YES. But there's plenty of relief available with the pools, shaded areas and retreating indoors.

Crowds: Heck yes, but there's always some out of the way spots to seek solace. Besides, Venice and other popular European destinations are crowded nearly year-round.

Will the ship be crowded with tons of kids since August is the traditional vacation month in Europe? We can probably deal with the heat, but I'm not sure about a ship full of kids. I'd love to hear from those who have cruised the Med in August, good or bad!

More kids than usual, but the ship has plenty of programs and clubs for kids, many of them just hang out there. I wouldn't expect as many kids as on a Christmas or other holiday time.

(I tried searching but didn't find much. I hesitated about starting a new thread since I already asked about doing b2b Europe cruises, but this is kind of a different subject. Sorry in advance if anyone finds this redundant.)

It's a fantastic and unforgettable itinerary, don't worry so much about possible minor annoyances...

End (needed 3 characters...):confused:

End (needed 3 characters...):confused:

lol, really, you have to write 3 characters? too funny!

Thanks for the positive information! I really appreciate hearing about your experiences!

We did Grand Med two years ago in July. As others said, it is port intensive so other than a family with some ill behaved kids in the MDR, we really don't notice them. We were traveling with family who had two school age girls and they loved it.

Yes, it is hot! We live in the South so am used to it, however at Kusadisi it was definitely over 100 degrees. Stay hydrated, dress in cool clothes and we had no problems. We didn't find it to be more crowded than normal, except in Venice!

Grand Med. is a great itinerary!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hi There,

Now first thing to say is we are not used to 100 degree plus temps,

we did this cruise three days in a row temps were over 100 everything good is always at the top of steep hill, little shade, then you get to the site of course its a few thousand years old, but no roofs so standing about get lots of info, melting in the sun,

on day four we got off the ship got onto the pier, was hit by a wave of heat, turned and went back on board and went straight to the pool,

just could not do another day, thats when the 14 day cruise only had one sea day

have now done the cruise a couple of times, great cruise

yours Shogun

We did the Grand Med last July and yes it was HOT!! The best advice I got was to bring an umbrella which at first I thought was ridiculous but ended up being the best thing I packed!

It was well over 100 degrees in Kusadasi and on our excursion to Pompeii and that umbrella was priceless! That and bringing water bottles on every excursion!

We absolutely did NOT notice many children on our cruise which actually surprised (pleasantly) us and those that were on board were all very well behaved.

Did not notice mosquitos at all in Venice.

Love the ideas of an umbrella! You might consider also bringing a small battery operated hand held fan. I found some at Walmart that also held water to mist yourself. It was only the size of the palm of your hand and had a handy belt clip.

When I passed them out to our group, our older teens politely thanked me but I could tell they didn't think they'd need them. But when we were melting in Pompeii, everyone gratefully used theirs! And many in our tour group asked where they could get one!!

Very port intensive but memorable itinerary...just go prepared to cope with the sun and heat!

:)

Elaine

Portable fans and umbrellas are great ideas! From everyone's responses, it sounds like the heat will be our biggest challenge. I checked the price this morning and since the sale ended yesterday, the fare doubled. I'm glad I put a hold on a cabin. The hold expires tomorrow so if we want to do it, we have 1 day to bite the bullet and put down a real deposit!

Portable fans and umbrellas are great ideas! From everyone's responses, it sounds like the heat will be our biggest challenge. I checked the price this morning and since the sale ended yesterday, the fare doubled. I'm glad I put a hold on a cabin. The hold expires tomorrow so if we want to do it, we have 1 day to bite the bullet and put down a real deposit!

You can still deposit and have a week or 2 until final payment. :)

DH called this morning and got the courtesy hold extended until Monday, so we have the weekend to think about it before putting down a deposit. However, the promo is a non-refundable deposit so we would lose our deposit if we change our minds. But we have an FCC so it would be only $100 each.

We were on the Grand Med in Late August of 2012 and the weather was nearly perfect every day with one exception. The day we were in Athens and took that long climb up to the summit and the Parthenon. It was too hot for comfort that day.

Also, we were on the Ruby and the cruise was from Venice to Barcelona and there were very few children on board.

Edited by Matcodixon

My husband and I did this cruise in July, 2011, from Barcelona to Venice. I don't think there would be much difference between August and mid July, and I remember that it was 110 in Kusadasi the day we were there! That was the day I remember as the worst weather-wise. I think it's probably not possible to hate HOT more than I do, and yet I think it was all worth it - we loved the itinerary so much we are doing it again, with 2 other couples this time. I am definitely taking a "sunbrella" this time, brilliant suggestion!

There didn't seem to be a lot of kids on board, most likely because of the length of the cruise and the packed itinerary. We did have a few issues with noisy Spanish speaking children playing and running thru the halls after midnight. These were 8-12 year olds who should have been in bed. This did decrease after we called security a couple of times. (I don't mean to single out Spanish speakers, but I'm just sayin'.) The obnoxious family in our dining room was, alas, American. They would come right off the pool or sports deck, wherever they happened to have been at dinnertime, and were sloppily dressed, sweaty, smelly, and LOUD. Embarrassing.

I am still not happy about the changes to the Island which were announced only after we booked, but there was no other choice so we are just going to make the best of it. If I were you, I'd go with it! Lin

We were on the Grand Med in Late August of 2012 and the weather was nearly perfect every day with one exception. The day we were in Athens and took that long climb up to the summit and the Parthenon. It was too hot for comfort that day.

Also, we were on the Ruby and the cruise was from Venice to Barcelona and there were very few children on board.

We were on that cruise with you so I second your comment that the day in Athens was HOT! 106F at the top of Acropolis at the Parthenon.:cool:

I got a bit of heat stroke and never saw it coming. We were sitting in the 'shade' waiting for the time to head back to the bus after we had done the climb up to the top etc etc. All of a sudden, my world started to spin and I saw flashing lights. My husband soaked his ever present handkerchief (he's old school) in the water we had and made me a neck bandanna that immediately cooled me down.

From that point on, I wore the neckerchief and would re-soak in water where ever I could find it...even in the fountain in Pompeii!

Others wore those neck things with the crystals in them that you cool in the fridge but I found this worked much better.

The Grand Med was the best cruise ever and Captain Tony Yeomans was the best captain ever and of course, we love the Ruby. Win, win, win!

I'm considering the Grand Med Barcelona to Venice on the Island that leaves on August 14. I like the idea of adding it on before our Baltics/TA, but is going in August the worst idea ever? I've been researching and between the heat, crowds and even mosquitoes in Venice, I'm starting to wonder if this really is a good plan....

Hot, yup, dreadfully hot, but didn't put a damper on our enjoyment either in port, walking the ruins etc.

Kids, yup there were kids, they loved it too!

Wasn't like a Carnival spring break cruise, but yes there are kids, and I was fine with that :D

If you really don't want to see kids, get on a really exclusive and expensive cruise. I don't think any cruise in the summer, even a 12 day one will be absent of them wonderful young spirited folks!

Edited by chipmaster