Glacier Bay v. Hubbard Glacier in July

WorldTraveler11

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I am really struggling with making a decision on which Alaska itinerary to choose. My husband and I are planning our first cruise to Alaska for July and we are not sure if a stop in Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier is more desirable. We live in Florida and cruise to the Caribbean often. This Alaska cruise might be my only chance to go there ever! So, I want to make sure it's a great experience. I know certain places in Alaska are better at certain points in the season (for wildlife viewing, glacier calving, etc.). The Glacier Bay itinerary is on Norwegian and the Hubbard Glacier itinerary is on Celebrity. I am not really too worried about which line we take. I am more concerned with the glacier experience. Also, please tell me if a balcony is an ABSOLUTE MUST. The price is around $2,000 more to get a balcony. Is it worth it? We are not really picky on cabins since we never really stay in the room much. But Alaska might be different. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thank you!:D

I asked a similar question last week and the conclusion I drew from the responses I got was that we should choose an itinerary that (specifically) included both of these. We've got a year or so before we book, but we'll be looking for itineraries like one of these:

http://www.princess.com/find/displayItineraryPopup.do?voyageCode=9620&tourCode=

http://www.ncl.com/cruises/7-Day-Glacier-Bay-from-Vancouver?alaska=8086&itineraryCode=SUN7VANKTNJNUSGYSWD

I totally agree that if you think this may be your only trip - do both! A southbound cruise on Princess gets you there :)

If you can't make that work then my preference would be Glacier Bay over Hubbard Glacier because of the opportunities to spot marine life in the area :D

Also, please tell me if a balcony is an ABSOLUTE MUST. The price is around $2,000 more to get a balcony. Is it worth it? We are not really picky on cabins since we never really stay in the room much. But Alaska might be different.

Many people here will disagree with me, but I think you really don't need the balcony so much as to spend that kind of money on it. Especially when in Glacier Bay - you'll be getting a much better view outside on the upper decks, when you don't have to wait for the captain to turn the ship so that your side faces the glacier. If the glacier is calving or something else interesting is happening, and you're on your balcony facing the opposite way - you'll miss it.

I personally prefer Hubbard Glacier, but a lot of people love Glacier Bay. A balcony, while nice is not critical and is more important for sea days than for days at the glacier when you really want to be outside and on deck to get the best views in all directions.

Pick an itinerary that does both! My first cruise to Alaska was first week of July and Hubbard Glacier was scheduled and we missed it due to ice conditions. We missed our only glacier on that trip - very disappointing.

Glacier Bay is a 99.999% sure thing. Hubbard is not.

Edited by Coral

I am more concerned with the glacier experience. Also, please tell me if a balcony is an ABSOLUTE MUST. The price is around $2,000 more to get a balcony. Is it worth it? We are not really picky on cabins since we never really stay in the room much. But Alaska might be different. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thank you!:D

If you have to choose between excursions or balcony, go with excursions. There are always public decks to see the glaciers.

The cabin choice, is entirely personal. I don't care where I am, and book the cheapest I can. :) (just picked up 3 last weekend, for Alaska). It's a semi game for me, I guess. There are people, who stay home, unless they are in a balcony. You'll need to decide where you are??

There is always a "debate" on the scenic glacier areas, that are "best". Factually- every trip is different, and no way to predict. Glacier Bay- is always accessible, with the opportunity to see at least 4 glaciers (although, a lot of people only see two). There is a lot of variation with "viewing" Hubbard. I sailed Hubbard three times last year. Two trips- didn't get closer than at least 10 miles out. One trip, did get right in front and real close. I don't find 1/3 good odds. :)

Thank you all so much for your responses. I wish we had two weeks to do back-to-back itineraries to see both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, but we don't unfortunately. We decided to do Glacier Bay on NCL in an inside room. I think we'll be happy with our selection. NCL did make some mistakes with our reservation, but that's a story for another thread! :p

Thank you all so much for your responses. I wish we had two weeks to do back-to-back itineraries to see both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, but we don't unfortunately. We decided to do Glacier Bay on NCL in an inside room. I think we'll be happy with our selection. NCL did make some mistakes with our reservation, but that's a story for another thread! :p

Princess does an itinerary with both (one way). I thought NCL did also.

Princess does an itinerary with both (one way). I thought NCL did also.

Northbound NCL Sun does both. But this poster is selecting NCL Pearl (assumptions- with their b to b mention?)

We need to embark and disembark in the same port because my husband does not fly. So for us to hit both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, we would have to do back to back cruises. And we have only have one certain week that we are able to take the cruise.

We need to embark and disembark in the same port because my husband does not fly. So for us to hit both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, we would have to do back to back cruises. And we have only have one certain week that we are able to take the cruise.

I'll assume he's left home a lot with your "World traveler" name. :)