Oh no! What have I done?

I was reading the El Cheapo thread last night and saw the great price on the 11 night New Zealand cruise on Explorer of Seas on 12th April 2016. I placed a 24 hour hold on and inside cabin before talking to DW before it. We checked the calendar to make sure it didn't interfere with Easter, ANZAC Day or any other commitments and so this afternoon I phoned and booked. So far so good. :)

It was only after I got off the phone that DW discovered that the cruise coincides with NSW School Holidays! :eek:

DW & I are in our early 40s and don't have any children of our own. While we love kids I'm not so keen on them enmass and I'm now a little nervous about this cruise. We usually avoid holidaying and cruising during the school holidays based on price alone.

Have you cruised in the school holidays? Please tell me that the ship isn't going to over run.:confused:

I've also realised that our upcoming Baltic Seas cruise is during the UK school holidays so that might be a warm up for the April cruise.

BTW this cruise looks like a great bargain for anyone WANTING to cruise during the School Holidays. :D

So far I have always cruised in school holidays [marred a chalky] sometimes just before, she works in a private school so hols are sometimes a little different.

Never been over run by kids, but also never been on RCI.

Friends often sail RCI including school hols, they have never complained, and I'm pretty sure THEY would.

We have never had a problem with kids on any cruise. I am sure they will be in different places to you:p Book late dinner if you don't want them in the dining room or select Dining later in the evening. I am sure you will have a great time.

We have done 2 cruises in the summer school holidays and had no issue with the kids on board. However, if you hit a patch of bad weather (& hopefully you wont) and the pool deck is not appealing, then you will notice the number of kids on board because they will be hanging around the stairs and elevators en masse.

I actually think the reason that cruise might be cheap is because it won't appeal to families with kids. I had a look at it but ruled it out as I really want to take the kids somewhere warm so they can enjoy the pools etc. I'd also rather take them to the South Pacific than NZ. Now obviously not all parents will think like me but my guess is that there will be less kids on that cruise than your standard South Pacific itinerary. Of course I'm basing that on a guess and not first hand knowledge...

Apparently our last cruise had 800 kids on board (Radiance), but I didn't really notice. It didn't negatively impact our holiday anyway, and we don't have kids of our own either.

Hi

We just booked this cruise specifically as it is a school holiday cruise. We have travelled many times with our children and in my honest opinion I think there will probably be quite a number of children on board. As to the behaviour of the children on board it can be quite variable, but I guess it depends on your level of tolerance. If you wanted to play it safe then cancel and try another departure off school holiday time. Loss of deposit would not apply yet so it would cost you nothing but the inconvenience. The cost of this cruise is certainly very good but I think Royal will be battling to fill many of its upcoming cruises due to deteriorating economic climate in oz plus a plethora of new ships entering the cruise scene. It's a difficult decision but I guess at the great price you would have paid I am sure you will enjoy it regardless. :)

Hiya Sparky,

How are things? Haven't seen you here for a while.

Both my NZ cruise on Voyager during school holidays & my mums on Radiance during school holidays as well were no issue at all with kids. In fact both of us noted a definitely older demographic if anything.

I think NZ cruises don't attract families as much as NZ is a lot more expensive to do shore excursions etc than the pacific islands. You'll enjoy it no matter what I'm sure.

Will this get you to Diamond?

We got a good deal a few months back on VOS to the islands next March, half price second person, as well as $400OBC, plus combinable with our diamond balcony discount & our open ticket booking with $150 OBC.

Hoping to get on board Ovation when the cruises are released for 2016/17

any week now. Are you planning to book on her?

Stay with your booking. It's a two way street. Young one's don't want to hang around "oldies" (anyone over 25 :eek:) and lets face it - there's more over 25 than under :p

We've done cruises with plenty of younger ones on - you don't see them often.

Younger one's seem to be in the crech/day room thingy, and teens just meld together and like to find "their own places" to hang out.

As for dining, go and book a table for two.....that should fix it. :D

School holidays wouldn't stop me cruising if the price is right. Schoolies week mmmm............maybe not ;)

Edited by dizzy1948

You will be fine DH and I cruised January this year with over 500 kids on board, initial thought was like you, oh god what have I done, but surprise surprise, sea days yes noticed them around the pools mobbed, but other than that really no impact on our cruise, like Lizzy suggest late sitting for dinner worked a treat, I must say those kids were well behaved on the whole cruise saw no unrulely behaviour at any time.

You will be fine, just enjoy your bargain cruise.

Hiya Sparky,

How are things? Haven't seen you here for a while.

Both my NZ cruise on Voyager during school holidays & my mums on Radiance during school holidays as well were no issue at all with kids. In fact both of us noted a definitely older demographic if anything.

I think NZ cruises don't attract families as much as NZ is a lot more expensive to do shore excursions etc than the pacific islands. You'll enjoy it no matter what I'm sure.

Will this get you to Diamond?

We got a good deal a few months back on VOS to the islands next March, half price second person, as well as $400OBC, plus combinable with our diamond balcony discount & our open ticket booking with $150 OBC.

Hoping to get on board Ovation when the cruises are released for 2016/17

any week now. Are you planning to book on her?

Our upcoming Baltic cruise on Brilliance OTS will see us level up to Diamond. (Only 6 weeks until we fly to England :D)

So that means the NZ cruise will be our first as Diamond C&A members.

We've also booked this cruise (yet to pay the deposit) and are unsure how much of NZ we'll be able to see with a cruise. Would love to show my husband and our primary school aged children who haven't been to NZ before some amazing country side... but perhaps snow and glaciers are not going to happen...

We'd be visiting....

Picton

Wellington

Napier

Tauranga

Auckland

Suggested day trips that we could organise ourselves as I don't think our budget will stretch to RCI's shore tour prices!!

Wellington, Napier and Auckland easy to do your own thing at low cost. If you want to go into the thermal region from Tauranga I would look at doing a ship tour. We haven't been to Picton so I can't comment on that port. Sounds like a great trip.