British Isles Question

bassmaster150

We are looking at the British Isles cruise for 2016 too. I would love to see the Royal Military Tattoo, but I was surprised to see it listed for the port stop for Glasgow. Has anyone done this trip for the Military Tattoo from Glasgow? How long of a drive is it? And how much would Princess charge for this excursion given the transportation from Glasgow rather than being at the Edinburgh port stop?

Thank you!

We are looking at the British Isles cruise for 2016 too. I would love to see the Royal Military Tattoo, but I was surprised to see it listed for the port stop for Glasgow. Has anyone done this trip for the Military Tattoo from Glasgow? How long of a drive is it? And how much would Princess charge for this excursion given the transportation from Glasgow rather than being at the Edinburgh port stop?

Thank you!

When we did this in 2013 two groups on our roll call arranged for a day's sightseeing (Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle, etc.) in Scotland ending around 4 pm in Edinburgh. That gave us time for checking out the annual Fringe Festival on our own and then we met up for dinner (reservations made months in advance) before going to the Tattoo. After the Tattoo we met a new set of drivers to take us back to the ship arriving around 12:30 am (before the Princess buses arrived). It was a very long but absolutely memorable day! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I was on the Royal in May, and chose this itinerary specifically because of Liverpool. I am a Beatles fan (although not a rabid one--at least until I went to Liverpool!), and Liverpool is a wonderful city. There was so much to do in the city and the surrounding area that I hope to return for a land-based exploration in the next few years. I did the full-day Beatles trip, including going in to John and Paul's childhood homes, and I was walking on air when I got back to the ship. One thing that made it particularly special is that the guides had their own personal memories of living there when the Beatles were there. I hope to go to Kirkwall at some point, but it really was no contest for me.

Edited by loribelle1

When we did this in 2013 two groups on our roll call arranged for a day's sightseeing (Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle, etc.) in Scotland ending around 4 pm in Edinburgh. That gave us time for checking out the annual Fringe Festival on our own and then we met up for dinner (reservations made months in advance) before going to the Tattoo. After the Tattoo we met a new set of drivers to take us back to the ship arriving around 12:30 am (before the Princess buses arrived). It was a very long but absolutely memorable day! I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Thank you for the quick response. This is very helpful.

This is indeed a very informative thread to help us decide between the Kirkwall/Tattoo itinerary or the Liverpool itinerary!

Hi

We were one of the last groups to do the tattoo from Edinburgh, this meant a night tender, in rough water with tender going up and down Princess had guys catching us as we jumped from the tender, health and safety means Glasgow now used, however Princess still does tattoo from Edinburgh if you are on a small ship and dock in Rosyth if you want any info just ask

Yours Shogun

We LOVED Orkney!

On a gloriously beautiful sunny August day, we toured with Orkney Aspects. Comfy 15 passenger van. Our guide was Anne. She was great. Stones of Stenness, Ring of Brodgar, Maes Howe and Norse inscriptions, Skara Brae, Scapa Flow, delightful soup and sandwich lunch at Merkister Hotel, stop in Kirkwall to visit St. Magnus Cathedral and time for some Orkney ice cream. There was a small festival in town that day and we enjoyed watching some young ballerinas dancing to "Let it go" in front of the Cathedral. An absolutely fabulous day.

Highly recommend. Orkney was a delightful, fascinating, and truly memorable surprise.

https://www.facebook.com/OrkneyAspectsTourServices?fref=ts

:)