British Isles Question

bassmaster150

Hello everyone...my wife and I are looking to take a cruise to the British Isles next year. There are two itineraries that we are looking at based upon dates, and the only difference we can see between the two itineraries is the swapping of one port of call for another. So given the choice for those who have been there, should we visit Liverpool, or Kirkwall (those are the two ports that are changed for each other on each itinerary). Itineraries are below:

Southampton, Guernsey, Cork, Dublin, LIVERPOOL, Belfast, Glasgow, Sea Day, Inverness (Loch Ness), Edinburgh, Sea Day, Paris (Le Harve), Southampton

Southampton, Guernsey, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Sea Day, ORKNEY ISLANDS (Kirkwall), Inverness (Loch Ness), Edinburgh, Sea Day, Paris (Le Harve), Southampton

So which one is better...in your opinion...and why

Any help would be appreciated...THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

The Kirkwall option without a doubt. You will see some beautiful countryside and the option to visit Scara Brae which is not to be missed. Many others places to visit as well. :)

Liverpool is interesting with some good local history, orkney is stunning with white beaches turquoise seas and you can see houses that are thousands of years old! The trip advisor links are of the town of Kirkwall, the Islands are very small and there's much more to see than just in the town.

Are we on the same CB cruise next month? :)

Edited by DebbieMacG

We did the British Isles Cruise last May and had Liverpool on our itinerary. It was one of my favorite ports (although EVERY port was awesome). There is enough to do right where the cruise ship docks including a wonderful FREE Museum. Liverpool is home to MANY recording artists, not just the Beatles. I would highly recommend the Liverpool stop.

The Kirkwall option without a doubt. You will see some beautiful countryside and the option to visit Scara Brae which is not to be missed. Many others places to visit as well. :)

Liverpool is interesting with some good local history, orkney is stunning with white beaches turquoise seas and you can see houses that are thousands of years old! The trip advisor links are of the town of Kirkwall, the Islands are very small and there's much more to see than just in the town.

After reading this reply, I might choose Kirkwall over Liverpool. I love scenery and the white beaches with turquoise seas sounds fabulous! I guess it just depends on what you would prefer. Small town with gorgeous scenery or happening city with great Museum and history. Our day in Liverpool was made even more special with fireworks right off our ship (on a barge) that night. We stayed longer in Liverpool to enjoy these "just for our Cruise ship" fireworks. I had a front row view of them right off our balcony while Hubby slept in bed :-)

I've never been to Liverpool so I can't comment other than to say I'd love to visit and I'm definitely a Beatles fan. ;)

I have been to Kirkwall and the Orkney Islands. I guess it comes down to what interests you most.

Kirkwall is totally about scenery and history. My favorite part was the neolithic ruins. They were fascinating. There are several "Stonehenge-esque" structures, neolithic towns and more. The town of Kirkwall is a lot of fun also. The weather the day we were there was perfect.

Hi

Liverpool is a nice city but you will see plenty of cities on this cruise,

Orkney is unique, more standing stones than stone hedge, buildings older than

the pyramids, the Italian chapel, amazing diving on battleships,

clear water and beeches like the Caribbean just a bit on the chilly side,

locally made whiskey, black pudding, fudge, ice cream, ww2 stuff

the wildlife. need more reasons

http://www.orkney.com/

http://www.visitorkney.com/

then there are the ponys

yours Shogun

Kirkwall!

Especially if you are a Scotch drinker - the ship will probably offer an excursion to the Highland Park distillery, but you can easily grab a cab and get there on your own. The Highland Park website talks about the different tours available.

If you end up going, be sure to visit all of the neolithic sites - they are awe-inspiring and very accessible :)

Just an additioinal recommendation - whichever cruise you choose, do it in August when you can see the Edinburgh Tattoo. It is spectacular and was the absolute highlight of our trip (we stopped in Liverpool which we both thoroughly enjoyed but it looks like we need to do the cruise again with a stop in Kirkwall :D).

Edited by capriccio

Without a doubt I strongly recommend enjoying just a fraction of what Liverpool has to offer. We live only about one hour away and regularly visit and are never bored with it. Indeed we visited it this week to see the Royal Princess docked as we will be on this ship and itinerary at the beginning of June - chosen over the itinerary which includes Kirkwall which we have also visited and enjoyed but only warranted the one visit from us. Liverpool offers such a diversity of experiences I.e. World class museums such as the Walker Art Gallery, Museum of Liverpool, Tate Liverpool, International Slavery Museum in the historic Albert Dock area situated right alongside where your ship will dock, Victoria Gallery and Museum, the Merseyside Maritime Museum, St George's Hall, Speke Hall etc. Also very worth while visiting is the very gothic Liverpool Cathedral and the very beautiful and modern Metropolitan Cathedral, both within walking distance of each other. If you are interested in the Beatles there is 'Mendips' where John Lennon grew up, and 21 Forthlin Road where Paul McCartney grew up.

If museums are not your thing, then there is good shopping to be had especially in the new(ish) area very close to the docks called Liverpool 1, especially the wonderful John Lewis department store. If you feel like a train ride then the Roman town of Chester is about half an hour or so away. You can also take the famous ferry across the Mersey to the Second World War submarine museum. I always enjoy the architecture of the buildings, especially around the historic docks area, I.e. The Cunard and Liver buildings.

Upon leaving the ship you will go through a tented area where there are always exceptionally helpful Liverpool tourist information people there to help you and give advice. They can also give advice on walking tours and red bus tours etc.

You will only have time for a fraction of these things, so maybe you will have to plan for another visit!!!

Have fun whatever you decide.

Another vote for Orkney -- we spent a wonderful day visiting Neolithic Orkney -- including Skara Brae, Maes Howe, the Stones of Stenness and the Ring of Brodgar. We had time to wander through Kirkwall as well. It was a spectacular day! We would do it again -- and, in fact, we did in 2013 with a land tour of Scotland. It was just as interesting the second time around -- and that time they were working on the archeological dig at the Ness of Brodgar.

If you can time your cruise to coincide with the Tattoo in Edinburgh [it runs in August] and the Fringe Festival, you'd hit the jackpot!

I loved Liverpool and of course, I loved the Beatles stuff and we did a private tour there. We also went to that the beautiful pier area and the mall after our tour (and saw the Beatles Story there). I would go back to Liverpool again. I think the British Isles itineraries are long on scenery and short on cities and Liverpool provides nice balance along with Edinburgh (my favorite) and Dublin (not enough time there).

Caution - Le Havre is not Paris, so I didn't include that as a city. If you want to spend 5-6 hours on buses or trains for a couple of hours in Paris, good luck to you. Paris is my favorite city, but seeing it from a cruise ship tour does it no justice.

I would say Kirkwall, but not for the reasons you might expect. Liverpool is just one place in a delightful part of England and just a few hours would not give you the opportunity to really get the best out of your visit.

It can also be included in a non-cruise touring holiday of the UK as a stopover between the Welsh Mountains and the Lake District.

On the other hand the cruise is perhaps the only practical way to visit Kirkwall and the Orkneys. So go for the Orkneys, it will probably be your only chance whereas you will get other chances to visit the North West.

One thing, don't think of the Orkneys as part of Scotland - the population made it pretty clear that, if Scotland had voted for independence then they did not wish to be part of an independent Scotland.

Liverpool without a doubt. You'll see enough scenery, heather, mountains and glens on a trip to Loch Ness (vastly overrated tourist trap)

Far more to see & do in Liverpool.

Hmm lets see, Loch Ness is 23 miles long and about a mile wide. You have a north and south side. There are two visitor centres and a castle, six tourist shops and five cruise boat operators in the WHOLE place,almost 50 miles these are dotted among various villages. The village I live in is 10 miles from the next village.

Compare this to Yorkshire, with Scarborough seafront, Bridlington, Filey etc, I like that part of the coast and would not dream of being rude about it, but if you want to talk about tourist traps...well :eek:

Loch Ness a tourist trap? No. No one is making anyone look at anything but the mountains and the Loch, theres no "trap" :mad:

Before you choose, please find out how many ships will be in Kirkwall the day you are there. (I know there's a website for this - maybe someone on CC can post the link).

The day we were in Kirkwall there were 3 cruise ships there (we were on the Ruby, there was a large MSC ship and I think an Oceania) which completely overwhelmed the transportation and touring options. Ship's tours, private tours and cabs were booked months in advance. The bus station sold out all their seats on all the buses running for the day by 10:00 a.m. There wasn't much to do in Kirkwall itself. A local we met told us to try to get out of town - but how?

If given the choice, I would have preferred to go to Liverpool.

I would say Kirkwall, but not for the reasons you might expect. Liverpool is just one place in a delightful part of England and just a few hours would not give you the opportunity to really get the best out of your visit.

It can also be included in a non-cruise touring holiday of the UK as a stopover between the Welsh Mountains and the Lake District.

On the other hand the cruise is perhaps the only practical way to visit Kirkwall and the Orkneys. So go for the Orkneys, it will probably be your only chance whereas you will get other chances to visit the North West.

One thing, don't think of the Orkneys as part of Scotland - the population made it pretty clear that, if Scotland had voted for independence then they did not wish to be part of an independent Scotland.

What an odd thing to say! and what the heck visiting a place on a cruise has to do with Independence I don't know. I know a lot of people from Orkney and of course they think of themselves as Scottish. Orkney is very much like the northern Highlands of Scotland where I am from, politics has nothing to do with it and no place on this forum. Agreeing to independence and being Scottish are vastly different things. The referendum is nothing to do with being part of Scotland or being Scottish it was to do with been governed by Westminster. And anyway it was Shetland not Orkney :)

The thing that does make Orkney different are the Norwegian influences and history. Orcadians have a distinctive Scottish dialect. Its a very interesting place, as is Liverpoool :)

Edited by DebbieMacG

Before you choose, please find out how many ships will be in Kirkwall the day you are there. (I know there's a website for this - maybe someone on CC can post the link).

The day we were in Kirkwall there were 3 cruise ships there (we were on the Ruby, there was a large MSC ship and I think an Oceania) which completely overwhelmed the transportation and touring options. Ship's tours, private tours and cabs were booked months in advance. The bus station sold out all their seats on all the buses running for the day by 10:00 a.m. There wasn't much to do in Kirkwall itself. A local we met told us to try to get out of town - but how?

If given the choice, I would have preferred to go to Liverpool.

Thats really good advice as you are right and three ships is too much. I have checked and the only time that there are two ships in port is in August when the CB is in with the Windstar a small ship, so I wouldn't see a problem, but something to always consider I think :)

If you guys are on the June 12th sailing of the CB out of Southampton, then yes.....going to be fun in the fjords.

I've been to both places via cruise ship, years apart.

I chose to go to the fascinating old Roman city of Chester instead of seeing Liverpool, but loved the area.

In Kirkwall, we did 2 ship's tours -- around the island & ruins and in the afternoon, out to a manor house on a smaller island (the Balfour estate, I think). We had tea & biscuits (made by local ladies). The hosts used real china -- the same Royal Doulton that is my wedding china! a memorial treat!

Hmm lets see, Loch Ness is 23 miles long and about a mile wide. You have a north and south side. There are two visitor centres and a castle, six tourist shops and five cruise boat operators in the WHOLE place,almost 50 miles these are dotted among various villages. The village I live in is 10 miles from the next village.

We thought the boat right on Loch Ness was absolutely gorgeous -- it was a calm day with a bright blue sky and the the trees reflected in the water like a mirror. Breathtaking.

If you guys are on the June 12th sailing of the CB out of Southampton, then yes.....going to be fun in the fjords.

We are, it's our first Princess cruise and I can't wait. We've done the fjords twice before but not as far north :)

Edited by DebbieMacG