My take on the “new NCL”

Pacclady

Mmmm....we have never paid $10.95 for one drink before on RC, Carnival or Princess. The most we have ever paid was $8.95 (that includes gratuity) for a Miami Vice. Everything else we have ever drank was less than $8.95.

As far as Noro, if they really wanted to prevent it, they would make everyone wear plastic gloves when getting food from the buffet. Everyone touching the same handles? Yuck. Not us, we always use a napkin and then wash our hands. :p

Wearing plastic gloves does nothing a passenger wearing gloves will still wipe their nose on their now gloved hand and then grab a roll.

They will still pat their hair and then take food . Touch their shoe and then grab a ladle. Wearing gloves doesn't make your hands sterile - or even keep them clean for more than 10 seconds!

Moreover, they are grabbing gloves out of a box with dirty hands effectively contaminating the other gloves that they touch .

Donning gloves in a sterile or even clean fashion takes a lot of practice .

If the buffet was served TO the passengers by trained servers you would see a difference.

I've noticed the food quality change in all the cruise lines we've sailed in the last ten years. To us the MDR means banquet quality food and the bigger the ship the more it is like a banquet. There is no way to make gourmet food for 5000 passengers. This is why we've been drawn to NCL. We can skip the MDR food and do specialty dining. NCL is the only line that I know that has so many options. We lasted two nights in MDR on the Oasis of the Seas. Our children and grandchildren switched to the buffet and pizza place and we started dining in their specialty restaurants. We have sailed NCL 4 times out of 30+ cruises. Sailing Princess and NCL next year. Don't think I've ever had a gourmet meal on Princess but we like the itinerary and price.

If the buffet was served TO the passengers by trained servers you would see a difference.

We sailed on HAL a few years back and ships staff served all the buffet goers the first few days. No Noro outbreak that I know about on that 11 day cruise. So I feel you are on point with that statement.

The food in the buffet on Oceania is always served to guests; the only thing they can touch is a roll or wrapped butter pat. On the other hand, Regent guests can serve their own food from the buffet. So, there is no consistency on NCL's new sister cruise lines to use as a prediction for NCL..

Agree with you. While we prefer being able to serve ourselves, we have put up with Oceania serving us. Unfortunately, we find it awkward and are not able to get the portion sizes that we want. On the other hand, it is more sanitary. We deal with the issue by being the first in line (on Regent) and thus are able to serve ourselves before others get there.

In my opinion, this issue is not as big as the other issues that are going on with NCL.

It actually makes little difference to us, as living in rural Okeechobee, we rarely can enjoy elegant dining. The buffet on any cruise ship, no matter how good the food, reminds us of Golden Corral, folks mobbing the serving stations, bumping into each other with food in hand and tables hard to find. We much prefer to be served at table and take almost all our meals in the main dining room. We also rarely dine in specialties, on NCL because we refuse to pay extra for food above the ceuise fare, and on Oceania, even though there is no extra cost, because the menus rarely change and we're bored with them. On Regent, we didn't find the specialties very special.

Edited by hondorner

Mmmm....we have never paid $10.95 for one drink before on RC, Carnival or Princess. The most we have ever paid was $8.95 (that includes gratuity) for a Miami Vice. Everything else we have ever drank was less than $8.95.

As far as Noro, if they really wanted to prevent it, they would make everyone wear plastic gloves when getting food from the buffet. Everyone touching the same handles? Yuck. Not As I said, I can't comment on the drinks because I haven't cruised the other lines in the past 6 months. It seems to be about then the prices started the upward trend on other lines, but I do not have exact prices. Have you cruised all the other lines in the past 6 months. If so, good for you. I can say, with knowledge, there are few if any drinks, unless in a fru fru glass that are anywhere near $10.95 on NCL. We sailed them last month. Most drinks including tip were about $9.00.As for the NORO virus, come on get real!!! Regardless of what you think would prevent the spread, the fact remains, the reason for things like no syrup is to help control the spread.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We just got off the Jewel yesterday from a very enjoyable 9 day Alaska cruise. This was our 7th NCL cruise to Alaska in 8 years. We did enjoy the food on this cruise but we did see a step down on many dishes. The chicken pot pie was amazing last year and this year I ordered it once (my DW ordered it 2 more times during the cruise and it was the same, ok, but not great) The mozzarella sticks weren't as good as last year either. They were good but not great. Bread pudding is something we only eat when we cruise and we tried it twice on this cruise. It may have been the chefs recipe but it was a bunch of slices of bread laid in the pan and not the usual bread pudding we have camped out for on many previous cruises.

I was fine with the pizza in La Cucina but I would imagine many many people would have sent it back. It would have been ok for an inclusive item but not for a specialty restaurant. Tiramisu and cheesecake in La Cucina has less flavor so only had once during cruise. Our favorite dessert on the ship is in Moderno, the Coconut Flan. It was still very good but was a step down from what we received last year.

I don't mean to sound so negative. This was what we noticed in comparison to our previous cruises with NCL. The crew was wonderful and the officers seemed to mingle more than we had noticed on previous cruises.

I know they are in the process of changes and things are far from where they want them to be. I hope their end goal will be in a positive direction for passengers and not just for NCL's bottom line. We are booked for next year and we are curious about how the changes are affecting the NCL experience by then.

Our total experience on this cruise did put it on top as our favorite cruise to Alaska. The areas that were a step down were a small step in our book. All the other wonderful things we experienced and the great people we met more than made up for them. It was a special cruise :D:D

Thanks for a totally objective post. I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. As for the pizza, I am not a lover of La Cucinas and I doubt I would ever get pizza there. For a $15 charge, I want something special. Again, thanks for your honest opinion without it being filled with negatives.

Thanks for a totally objective post. I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. As for the pizza, I am not a lover of La Cucinas and I doubt I would ever get pizza there. For a $15 charge, I want something special. Again, thanks for your honest opinion without it being filled with negatives.

La Cucinas is a decent $8 to $10 restaurant if it were land-based and not part of a cruise where I have already paid for food. I paid $15 once, never again.

OK, back to the plastic drink cups. Was on the Dawn last month and these were prevalent... a very "economical" looking see thru, Solo-like cup. It used to be the variety of drink determined the style of glass used, and in the pool area they simply used a plastic version of the style required. With everyone walking around with a cheapo clear Solo-type cup it did cheapen the experience, almost taking on a frat house trash can party atmosphere.

la Cucina is a decent $8-10 resteraunt? Don't get me wrong La Cucina isn't stellar but an $8 resteraunt, McDonalds is an $8 resteraunt, my local pizza shop is twice that.

It truly amazes me how people on this board complain about everything. If you were new to cruising and read half the posts in this forums one would think most people spend a few hours a day downstairs rowing.

OK' date=' back to the plastic drink cups. Was on the Dawn last month and these were prevalent... a very "economical" looking see thru, Solo-like cup. It used to be the variety of drink determined the style of glass used, and in the pool area they simply used a plastic version of the style required. With everyone walking around with a cheapo clear Solo-type cup it did cheapen the experience, almost taking on a frat house trash can party atmosphere.[/quote']

I agree. It was all plastic cups on the Sky last month. My dh and I decided we will drink beer and wine on our next cruise. The liquor drinks in plastic cups just aren't as good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your report and opinion. We will be back on NCL in less than 3 weeks to see what we think of the changes as well. However, "most" of the changes they have done will not effect us, so I have a feeling it's not going to be "too big" of a deal. :)

I agree. It was all plastic cups on the Sky last month. My dh and I decided we will drink beer and wine on our next cruise. The liquor drinks in plastic cups just aren't as good.

These looked familiar ?? They're used on the Gateaway this month - perhaps, these will save fuel and can be recycled, more environmental friendly, for our convenience ... ;)

If it break, minimal risk for injuries.

BTW, you know that wine & beer can be served in plastics. You are okay with it. :D

These looked familiar ?? They're used on the Gateaway this month - perhaps, these will save fuel and can be recycled, more environmental friendly, for our convenience ... ;)

If it break, minimal risk for injuries.

BTW, you know that wine & beer can be served in plastics. You are okay with it. :D

I don't care what kind of cup it's in, but give me a delicious frozen drink please and I'm a happy cruiser! ;)

What you described is pretty much the meaning of nickel and dime.

It doesn't mean your are being forced to buy something. It means things

that didn't cost money before now do or that they cost more now.

They always cost you money. It was just included in the (higher) cruise fare.

Our drinks on the Pearl last month were not servied in plactic cups at all. We didn't have glasses except for paper ones in our cabin for the first part of the cruise, due to the NOro Virus outbreak, but we did have glass for our cocktails and wine at all the bars except for around the pool.