Do the steward have a MASTER key?

KPfromCT

I was reading on another thread that the room stewards have a master key that can open the door EVEN if the deadbolt is on.:eek::eek:

Does anyone know if that is true?

I think we've all experienced the one quick knock and then hear their key going in the lock.

I thought putting the deadbolt on would save some time, but now am second guessing this.

Anyone?

Never had the Steward come in thru dead bolted door.

Someone does have a master key. They need to see movement every day or they will come in. Movement is anything from face-to-face, room key use, room service orders etc.

It wasn't on CCL page, it may have been NCL or RCCL, but I do remember reading they had their deadbolt on, because they were taking a shower and they heard the door open.:eek::eek:

Steward apologized, but GEEZ!!!!!

I hate the one quick knock and then they open the door.

Barely enough time to get dressed, if you are not already.:D

Never had the Steward come in thru dead bolted door.

Someone does have a master key. They need to see movement every day or they will come in. Movement is anything from face-to-face, room key use, room service orders etc.

And I completely understand that. So is it the steward that has it, or the Manager of Housekeeping?

Just really makes you worry a little about security.

The room steward cannot unlock the deadbolt. A month ago we were on the Breeze and had two rooms that connected. Somehow we managed to deadbolt out front door and lock the connecting door. Our room steward had to call his supervisor. Once the supervisor got there, he had to call security. The security man was able to unlock the deadbolt!

Because of the male yelling, the thumps on the wall, and the sobbing of a young child and woman in the cabin next to us, our call to the front desk bought an armed security team and medical staff on the run. No knocks on the door; the security people just used their key and went straight in.

I was reading on another thread that the room stewards have a master key that can open the door EVEN if the deadbolt is on.:eek::eek:

I think we've all experienced the one quick knock and then hear their key going in the lock.

I thought putting the deadbolt on would save some time, but now am second guessing this.

Anyone?

Use your "Snoozin" door card when you are in your cabin, and then turn it around to "Cruisin" when you are not in your cabin. I've never had a cabin steward who didn't honor that.

Use your "Snoozin" door card when you are in your cabin, and then turn it around to "Cruisin" when you are not in your cabin. I've never had a cabin steward who didn't honor that.

Although I will say, on our first cruise our cabin steward (Noervi - he was awesome) requested we not put the "Cruisin" out UNLESS we needed our room serviced! Apparently they kept coming in when we were gone trying to figure out what we needed. Oooops :o

Edited by Bobblefrog

Anyone?

I am pretty sure that the dead bolt was not on..and I am usually quite adamant about having them on, and locked, but back on my Liberty cruise with my Mom in 2009, just after they made the announcement that rooms wer e all ready, we went to the room, and within a couple of minutes a knock came at the door, and before I could get to the door, it opened and the steward was already barging in. but must say , he looked more startled than we were. he introduced himself, said sorry for barging in, and after that there were no more intrusions. since then though, I always put deadlock on, and have not had that happen since.

Because of the male yelling, the thumps on the wall, and the sobbing of a young child and woman in the cabin next to us, our call to the front desk bought an armed security team and medical staff on the run. No knocks on the door; the security people just used their key and went straight in.

you did the right thing.

Wow an armed security team. Havent heard of that on a ship before.

I wish the deadbolt acted like the VACANT/OCCUPIED notification you see on airplane bathroom doors, sometimes those signs fall off and get put back on the door the wrong way!

I got walked in on once (HAL ship), I don't know what the guy was even visiting my room for, it wasn't the usual times for cleaning or turning down the bed for the evening....