1st cruise Britannia

scouselady111

Just joined cruise critic so excuse any mistakes.

Booked my first cruise on Britannia in March when they were advertising cabin upgrades and bubbly. Led to believe we would get a balcony for same price as inside. Been given inside cabin midship deck C. Travel agent says we have been upgraded. I don't understand. Can any of you cruise experts help me. Is this a good place to be on the ship? I feel we've been misled. Any advice? I have emailed p&o 3 wks ago but not got a response.

I'm still looking fwd to cruise. Thanks. :)

Booked my first cruise on Britannia in March when they were advertising cabin upgrades and bubbly. Led to believe we would get a balcony for same price as inside. Been given inside cabin midship deck C. Travel agent says we have been upgraded. I don't understand. Can any of you cruise experts help me. Is this a good place to be on the ship? I feel we've been misled. Any advice? I have emailed p&o 3 wks ago but not got a response.

Welcome to cruise critic. Have you gone on your cruise personaliser to check your cabin number? Sometimes an upgrade can be within the same type of cabin but a different location. Midship will be seen as a better location than forward or aft so that may be why. Your TA should have told you at the time of booking whether it was going to be a balcony or an inside however so I can totally understand if you are not feeling happy.

I have done a couple of videos about Britannia which could be helpful. I'll find a link for you.

Thanks Jo for replying. I've watched your videos before and have found them very informative. I'm not going to let anything stop me from enjoying this cruise. I don't intend to spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway. Love your videos. keep them coming. I'll let you know how cruise goes.

Thanks

Sounds like your TA/Booker has misled you tbh.

Many sites - cruisecritic included - have offers that lines do at various times, where you might be able to book a balcony for the price of an inside (say). To shift cruises they offer free upgrades, free drinks, free OBC, free parking, price cuts, all those sorts of things.

However, when you book you book what you book (err...) e.g. you book a cabin at a particular grade (if you are on select, you book a particular cabin), so your invoice/receipt should say "Saver fare minimum grade LA outside" or something like that.

Subsequently (if you allow it) P&O may upgrade you to allow you to have a balcony - we were once upgraded from a balcony to a deluxe balcony - but there is no guarantee of that. On a saver fare I would think it would be less likely than on a select fare. Nobody really knows how it is done. Other than select fare payers getting first chance (which is fair enough) it may well be random. It was only our 2nd cruise so it's not like we're big P&O users.

You can be upgraded late in the day ; we didn't realise we'd been upgraded until we were given the 'wrong' cabin :)

I would check your receipt/invoice that you should have from the booking, that should say what you actually booked, and check the Cruise Personaliser which will tell you if you are still in the inside cabin.

Thanks Jo for replying. I've watched your videos before and have found them very informative. I'm not going to let anything stop me from enjoying this cruise. I don't intend to spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway. Love your videos. keep them coming. I'll let you know how cruise goes.

Thanks

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time, cruising is such a fantastic holiday just be warned it is very addictive! P&O serve lunch everyday the Peninsular restaurant on Britannia and complementary afternoon tea is served everyday in the Oriental restaurant (aft). As you are mid ship I recommend you walk towards the back of the ship rather than take the midship lifts and then head towards the back as the midship lifts are extremely busy.

I recommend doing one of the Cookery School activities. They are really good fun and you get to eat what you make! (So go hungry!)

Thanks for reply. I think TA should have selected the Balcony Cabin as it had already been discounted to same price as inside. But they didn't. I'm just gonna get into spirit of cruising and spend more time in the bar :):)

firstly- welcome to cruise critic. I don't know if you will get a response from P and O if you have booked with a travel agent, you really need to speak to them as although an inside midship is much better than an inside elsewhere, it is not like having a balcony. i'm afraid some of the wording on these cruise sales can be a bit misleading, as often the header says one thing and the link something else. Mind you, the balcony on Britannia is so small you may not be missing anything:rolleyes:

on the plus side, you will be on a cruise, and i'm so jealous, had to book a land based holiday as grandson moaned that we didn't take him away last year ( when did it become the norm for the grandkids to think we should take them away!!!) I am lookingat my options for October or November cruises as I am getting withdrawal symptoms!

ps don't forget to take a bottle of sprits with you, then you really can get INTO the spirits!

Edited by louthebowler
miised words

Thanks for reply. I think TA should have selected the Balcony Cabin as it had already been discounted to same price as inside. But they didn't. I'm just gonna get into spirit of cruising and spend more time in the bar :):)

If you honestly believe that then you must go back and speak to the Manager of the TA and if you have no joy ask for the contact details of Regional Manager and say you are not happy and going to take it further.

Thanks for all replies. I will visit TA, but i'm just looking forward to going on cruise. I've been thinking about it for a while as I work opposite cruise liner terminal. I see all these lovely ships, oops, cruise liners, and think "maybe one day". 2 weeks to go. I've been told that when you've been on 1 you get hooked.

Just like to thank all for replies. Got in touch with TA. I complained (calm & assertive) saying I feel very let down. They contacted p&o & they've changed us to balcony. Yehhh. It's 1 with obstructed view but that's what I was expecting anyway. I can concentrate on packing now. Only 10 days to go. Looking fwd to visiting glasshouse. Is it true that u have to book this?

Thanks again. I love this site.

Just like to thank all for replies. Got in touch with TA. I complained (calm & assertive) saying I feel very let down. They contacted p&o & they've changed us to balcony. Yehhh. It's 1 with obstructed view but that's what I was expecting anyway. I can concentrate on packing now. Only 10 days to go. Looking fwd to visiting glasshouse. Is it true that u have to book this?

Result :-)

Balconies are great, even if the view is obstructed - hopefully not too much. If you put your Cabin# in someone may be able to tell you exactly how much.

I've never been on Britannia (yet) but on Ventura the Glass House has never looked exactly packed. You might even get a better deal by waiting, we visited "East" on Ventura on the first night and it was cheaper and included a free bottle of plonk.

Unless it's really really important for some reason I wouldn't, you never know there might be a show you really want to see when you book it for (say), but then some of the recent Britannians can probably tell you more.

Looking fwd to visiting glasshouse. Is it true that u have to book this?

The glass house do a tasting menu, four courses with wine. This has to be booked as it's limited to thirty people each time and is only on for three nights.

All other meals in the glass house are in the bar area and you don't have to book.

Have a great first cruise. :)