Free Soda?

Ragtime109

After reading many posts about the $50 soda card for $25, I have a quick question. If the remainder of the money left on your card is refunded to you as onboard credit (which I assume can then be used toward tips), if you only use $25 of the card, does that not mean that you are basically getting all that soda for free since the $25 you paid will be refunded?

Thanks for any clarification from those of you who have purchased cards in the past!

It is my understanding that if you drink less than $25.00 worth then they will refund UP TO the Amount you paid for it..

In other words if you bought the $50 soda card & paid $25..Then only used $15.00 of it you would be refunded $10.00..

I could be wrong, but remember Ruth C explaining this several months ago.. Will try to find the post for you..

It's Post Number three in this thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133430&highlight=soda+card

Quote by Ruth C

You have a couple of choices here.

There is a soda card which costs $25 for $50 worth of fountain sodas. The amount is loaded on the card, then $1.50 per glass is subtracted when the card is swiped with each order. If the passenger spends at less than $25, the balance of the amount paid will be refunded at the end of the cruise.

Another card is the beverage card. It can be purchased in amounts starting at $50, going up in increments of $100, $250, and ???. There is no bonus amount with this card, but it can be used for full cans of soda, as well as other drinks. Anything not used by the end of the cruise is refunded.

The main advantage to this card is that the passenger doesn't have to keep all those sales slips to proof out the final bill. Unquote

I bolded the sentence I'm referencing.. Ruth explains it very well..

Edited by serendipity1499

We have used these cards for a long time. Any refunded amount is only what is left up to the original $25 price you paid.

Oh, and the cards are not transferrable as they get inactivated when your card is swiped at disembarkation as we had a friend on the previous cruise who left us her residual card which did not work.

Is this capability loaded on your normal card, or is it a separate card... and is it availble onboard, or only ahead of time? We have 3 boys, but the trip is only 3 days, so separate card for each would not make a lot of sense, IMHO.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone. We are HAL newbies.

Is this capability loaded on your normal card, or is it a separate card... and is it availble onboard, or only ahead of time? We have 3 boys, but the trip is only 3 days, so separate card for each would not make a lot of sense, IMHO.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone. We are HAL newbies.

The soda card is a separate card, can be purchased in advance or on board for the same price, and can be used by more than one person.

This is the card that allows $50 worth of soda for $25. The soda is presented in a glass, for a charge of $1.50 + 15% per glass.

Thanks for the super prompt reply, Ms. Ruth. One more question (OK, maybe it's two ;) ).

what size glass do they use (rough estimate is fine)?

Can you use your own glass (plastic tumbler, etc.) ?

You can not use your glass (plastic tumbler).

They fill a glass with ice and you get about 6 ounces of soda.

3 boys -- 3 cards!!

For your boys, they may allow you to use your own glass or you can have them dump the standard glass they serve into your glass, after which they will probably just use your own glass. The boys can share a card as the $25 soda card is not like a special drink card which is a 'per person' card. You can use 1 card to buy all 5 of you a soda.

They fill a glass with ice and you get about 6 ounces of soda.
They won't fill the glass with ice - in fact, they won't put any ice in at all - if you ask them accordingly. This is useful for a drink that does come from the gun (ie most of them) because it's already chilled when it's dispensed.

Thanks for all the answers, everyone. We will probably just get the cards on the ship while onboard... that way we can get a feel for how cruising with the teenagers is going to go and if we are going to be anywhere near them during the days, etc...

They won't fill the glass with ice - in fact, they won't put any ice in at all - if you ask them accordingly. This is useful for a drink that does come from the gun (ie most of them) because it's already chilled when it's dispensed.

I drink very little soda and soda cards aren't worth anything to me but I have an image of people getting their glass full of soda and asking for a glass of ice on the side. :D :D

I drink very little soda and soda cards aren't worth anything to me but I have an image of people getting their glass full of soda and asking for a glass of ice on the side. :D :D
You may jest ... but been there, done that. :D