favorite foods?

cruisin lola

Just found the menus for Golden Princess through another posting. http://grafx.freeservers.com/cruise/menus.html What are your favorites and which items should be avoided? Also, there are no desserts listed? Since that's my favorite part of the meal, can anyone tell me what is available and what's the best?

I can't wait to cruise!!!!

So far, after just one Princess cruis mind you, the Fettuccini that is available at every dinner stands out as excellent. Other memorable entree's include Lobster, Prime Rib, various assorted pasta dishes that I forgot the names of.....actually I didn't have anything I didn't find to be just great.

One of the highlights of Personal Choice Dining for me is the flexiblity in production that allows food to be served piping hot at tableside, much like it might be possible to serve at home. That was the first thing that hit me as being unique and it continued throughout the week.

As far as desserts go, one that I almost passed up but decided to try on the last night just so I could say I had was the Love Boat Dream. This signature creation is simply marvelous.

As others have noted I too found the desserts in the dining room superior to the ones in the Horizon Court buffet area which didn't seem to change all that much.

On the room service menu the Caramel Flan was a favorite and I had at least one every day. The Chocolate Cake turned out to be the same brownies served at the buffet on our sailing but I have to believe that something was awry to make that happen. Princess is just too darn accurate in their menu descriptions to try to sneak Browines in as a clever substitute for Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chantilly Cream

BTW- Welcome!

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

Meals were great every night but I especially enjoyed the Penne All' Arrabbiata on Italian night. I loved it so much I mentioned it to the waiter the following night and before I knew it the head waiter was at our table telling me that he had made arrangements with the chef. I had it 2 nights in a row I liked it so much. Talk about personal choice dining!!

Desserts in the dining room were good too. I had fresh fruit most evenings and sometimes with the various ice creams or sorbets whith were terrific. My husband usually ordered 2 desserts each night and he liked most of them.

By the way, does anyone have the Princess cookbook? Does it have the Penne All' Arrabbiata recipe in it? I would love to try to duplicate it at home. Maybe I need to just book another cruise!!

Love boat dessert is the best dessert I've ever had. Was just right for me. Veal chops outstanding, prime rib also good. Liked the fact you actually had a serving of vegtables and not 2 pieces of it.

We went on the Golden Princess last year. I second the "penne alla arrabbiata" It was my favorite dish. Even though, I thought the love boat dream was good...I loved the flavored ice creams...The pizza was great too.

I recorded which dishes I liked and did not like in a review I gave of the ship on cruise mates: http://ww.cruisemates.com/articles/memreviews/princess/golden21.cfm

This is what I pulled from the review:

For appetizers, I thought these were excellent:

Seasonal Fresh Fruit w/ Armagnac, Golden Fresh Fruit Collection flavored with Kirsch, &

Oranges Steeped in Grant Marnier and Mint

For main dishes, I thought these were excellent:

Nebraska Prime Rib, Homemade Fresh Pasta Tossed w/ Tomato and Grated Parmesan Cheese, Brasato di Manzo al Barolo, Ravioli di Ricotta with Fresh Tomato Sauce, & Penne alla arrabbiata

For soups, I thought this was very good:

Chilled Golden Delicious Apple & Peach Soup with Rum

For desserts, these were my favorites:

Hazelnut Ice Cream

Peppermint ice cream

Chocolate Hazelnut Soufflé

For Salads, this was my favorite:

Baby leaf Spinach with Butter lettuce, bacon, pecorino cheese, & pine nuts w/ Italian dressing

I think I once heard that the grand and golden princess had similiar menus. I wonder if that is the same with the other ships like the Carribean princess, etc.

Happy Cruising!

My wife likes the fact that Fettuccini Alfredo is available every night too.Princess does a great job with their pastas.

I think the Talapia was delicious and since having it on our first Princess cruise,we now eat it regularly.All the fish dishes were excellent as was the rack of lamb.

Great chilled soups,escargot,cesare salad,and of course,LOBSTER,LOBSTER,LOBSTER!!! icon_razz.gif

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

I had shrimp cocktail every night (usually in addition to another appetizer). My favorite entree is the shrimp Fra Diavola. The lobster tails were really good on our most recent cruise. Sometimes I don't like them. The best dessert is the raspberry creme brulee. Another of my favorites is the peach stuffed with almond soufflee. I liked to get one of the desserts with a scoop of ice cream on the side. One of the men at our table had the cheese cake every night and said it was great.

MY FAVORITE SUBJECT!

I purchased the cookbook a couple of weeks ago on the Grand. It does not have the rabbit penne. I have requested some recipes from Princess via their website. Try this: www.princess.com/contact. You hit the link for Princess recipes. I received a quick reply.

We like only the dining room dinners and avoid dining room breakfasts completely -- think it's awful. Never tried dining room lunch or tea. Croissant and fruit from room service in the morning and sometimes a sampling of items from Horizon at lunch -- I dislike most of it but usually find one outstanding item. For kids and us, pizza and grill snacks while out on deck during the day suffices.

Dining room dinners -- we truly enjoy them! The service is very good -- I'd rather be waited on than go to a buffet any day! Our family/table of ten found this last trip just excellent. I love trying all the things I don't make. Our large group facilitated lots of sharing and sampling! The soups were wonderful and I liked, especially, trying out the cold soups. Simple things like the pate appetizer on the French menu is very good. (Our teens tried escargot for the first time. I don't eat it anymore so it was a good time for them to experiment.) The prosciutto appetizer on Italian menu is fantastic -- they acquire one of a quality not usually found in US, so it's a must. Our table favorite entrees were (aside from lobster) the pork dish on French night, the shrimp dish and the veal dish on Italian night, the pesto pasta dish on Chef's night (truly outstanding--nonni would have loved it)and rack of lamb -- nothing like the lamb we'd had onboard before -- they are doing something right! The desserts are varied and usually good--this time better than I remembered. I agree completely with geoherb that you cannot pass up the creme brulee or that peach-almond-souffle thing -- that one pushed me over the top! The napoleon was excellent this time (was unremarkable last time). What changed? For the better I think -- and if it is cruise to cruise and ship to ship, then I guess we lucked out on the Grand. None of us, however, enjoyed landfall dinner. After soup and salad it was all downhill. We should have just skipped the entrees. We won't skip Landfall dinner because we usually offer additional tips. Our waitstaff was outstanding this last trip and the Landfall dinner is the last time to see them. Buon viaggio and buon appetito!

J

I love all the souffles - except the soufflee stuffed in a peach (or whatever they call it).

The Harlequin Soufflee is my favorite.

Nebraska Prime Rib is awesome and so is the Tornados of Beef. I also like this spicy pasta they serve on Italian night but can't remember the name.

A lot of my favorites have been mentioned (the beef dishes, pizza, lamb, soups) but I had a risotto as a main course on a recent 10-day cruise that I really enjoyed. Yummy! I also like Princess' ice creams, salad dressings, and the breads.

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

Archived