Hawaii or Panama Canal? Please help me choose

Croptop

I haven't done the Panama Canal YET and reallllly want to, BUT I have done the Hawaii cruise, and it was one of my absolutely most favs! I would say based on all of your criteria, the Hawaii one would be best. You'd get the most bang for your buck with cruise time, and it'd be totally safe since you'd be in the U.S. I personally loved the seas days on the Hawaii cruise. We went in March, and though it was cooler the beginning and end days, it wasn't bad. Either one would be a win, though, IMO! Happy cruising! [emoji568]

Sorry - why would you be 'totally safe'. The last time I heard, crime in the US was not unheard of!

Looks like Hawaii in January is the winner for me. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and advice.

Personally I'd budget for a few extra days to spend in San Francisco. It would be a shame to come all this way and not experience that beautiful city.

Personally I'd budget for a few extra days to spend in San Francisco. It would be a shame to come all this way and not experience that beautiful city.

Agreed. That's my SOP when cruising: try to get into town a few days early to explore (and to build a buffer in case of unforeseen delays during travel).

I have lived in Hawaii, cruised Hawaii several times and disagree with the poster that said "land based vacations there are better" for several reasons....there are areas of Hawaii that you will ONLY get to see as you cruise from island to island that are BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!! We cruised the islands a total of 5 times when we lived there, and each time I would sit on the deck all day watching the beautiful coastline mountains going by....no roads, no people, no buildings, just awesome beauty you can ONLY see from the deck of your ship.

This is a really interesting perspective and a strong counter-point to what I've always said: That Hawaii is just too wonderful to experience hit-and-run style, a few hours on this island, a few hours on that one.

I suspect the OP will still find that a visit to the islands will plant a seed for a more in-depth visit. Our favorite vacation is still to just plop down in a fairly low-budget Maui condo and feel like locals for two weeks or so.

But this idea of seeing the islands as they can be seen only from the ship is interesting too. And for the poster who said Hawaii is just a bunch of islands, I'm sorry. I guess "Starry Night" is just a bunch of paint too.

Jim

would waiting until late February/early March make an appreciable difference

We have not been in March, but I have heard that is when the whales come to the islands.

would waiting until late February/early March make an appreciable difference

We have not been in March, but I have heard that is when the whales come to the islands.

Yeah, but the downside is that then you're competing with them for prime dinner reservations and they're clogging up the dance floors at all the nightclubs.

This is a really interesting perspective and a strong counter-point to what I've always said: That Hawaii is just too wonderful to experience hit-and-run style, a few hours on this island, a few hours on that one.

I suspect the OP will still find that a visit to the islands will plant a seed for a more in-depth visit. Our favorite vacation is still to just plop down in a fairly low-budget Maui condo and feel like locals for two weeks or so.

But this idea of seeing the islands as they can be seen only from the ship is interesting too. And for the poster who said Hawaii is just a bunch of islands, I'm sorry. I guess "Starry Night" is just a bunch of paint too.

Jim

Jim, It REALLY is a totally different perspective when sailing between the islands and all the untouched beauty and cliffs. We cruised once on American Cruise Lines (now defunct, but use to be HQ in Honolulu and they took us so close to the lava flow from Kilauea into the sea that we actually got "lava flow mist rained on" from the steam coming off the water and causing a little cloud with rain. It was the most amazing thing ever. Of course, this was a very, very old ship (the Independence), the actual ship that Princess Grace and the wedding party took to Monaco when she married Prince Reiner, but such a beautiful, old ship with the teak decks and so much history!!

One of the "MUST DO's" when cruising/visiting the islands is be SURE to go up to see the sunrise at Mauna Kea! It is a cold, barren landscape (be sure to take blanket/coat/something to help with the cold) but SOOOO BEAUTIFUL! You feel like you are at the very top of the world watching the sun come up!!! Everyone actually cried it was so very beautiful!!! You might be able to google pics/stories about it, but it was something I will never, ever forget beautiful!!!

One of the "MUST DO's" when cruising/visiting the islands is be SURE to go up to see the sunrise at Mauna Kea! It is a cold, barren landscape (be sure to take blanket/coat/something to help with the cold) but SOOOO BEAUTIFUL! You feel like you are at the very top of the world watching the sun come up!!! Everyone actually cried it was so very beautiful!!! You might be able to google pics/stories about it, but it was something I will never, ever forget beautiful!!!

Or the observatories at the summit of Mauna Kea, at 14k'. So fascinated that there was snow on the ground in June. I was told that it often sticks around until it begins to snow again. I'm going to try to copy links to a couple pix I took up at the summit.

http://treven.smugmug.com/HawaiiUFanning-Island/i-rscGTZr/0/L/Mauna%20Kea%20Summit%20023-8223640-O-L.jpg

http://treven.smugmug.com/HawaiiUFanning-Island/i-ZDmNqxK/0/L/Mauna%20Kea%20Summit%20025-8223643-O-L.jpg

http://treven.smugmug.com/HawaiiUFanning-Island/i-39G8vKL/0/L/Mauna%20Kea%20Summit%20024-8223641-O-L.jpg

Glad to see they worked.

Edited by Treven

I did the Hawaii cruise on the Island years ago. Wouldn't do that again and here is why: There was only one day on each island- except (Kona and Hilo-- same island.) The rest of the cruise are a ton of sea days going and coming.

Much better value if you want to spend more time on the islands without all those sea days is to do NCL 1 week round trip Honolulu. That gives the best for the buck. (I did this when the ships were American Hawaii cruises.)

We are doing the Coral New Years partial transit. For dh and myself, the full transit includes to many Mexican ports (been there, done that)- We just want to have a day going through the canal- the other ports work for us-- wish there were less sea days. If you love sea days then either cruise would work.

So if you don't really care about the ports then do which cruise gives you more bang for the buck. If you want to have a day at canal, go for it. But the ports on this cruise Jmho doesn't lend itself for wandering off. If that is important to you, then the Hawaii ports would be a much better option for that.

Thank you all so much for the responses so far. Very much appreciated. You have all made some very compelling arguments in favour of both itineraries and rather than making my decision easier, it's actually gotten a bit more difficult!

I don't mind sea days but I've never done more than 2 in a row so I don't know how I would react to the 4 or 5 days on the transit to/from Hawaii. I *think* I would like them but I guess I'll only know for sure when I actually do it.

As for doing a full transit of the Canal rather than a partial, I totally agree but unfortunately, a full transit is just a bit beyond my means financially at the moment.

Taking into account all of the advice you've shared with me, I'm now leaning towards the Hawaii cruise.

However, it also seems like perhaps January isn't the right time to do that particular journey. For those of you who have been recommending Hawaii, would waiting until late February/early March make an appreciable difference weather-wise or do I have to wait until April? (Remember, I'm attempting to escape winter for a bit).

Thanks again.

I have done the r/t LA or SFO - Hawaii 5 times and love the itinerary for many reasons, but mainly because Hawaii is such a lovely spot. Plus I LOVE sea days, and have done as many as 8 in a row.

However, in defense of the Panama Canal .... that was my very first cruise ever and it's a great, as well as unique, place to visit. I did a partial transit cruise out of FLL, but with a Princess excursion was able to actually make a full transit. We got off the ship in Gatun Lake and boarded a smaller ship which took us the rest of the way thru the Pacific side, and then boarded a tour bus and were drive back across Panama to the waiting ship. I have no idea if a similar excursion is offered on partials from the West Coast, but it would be worth looking into before you give up on the idea. Experiencing the locks from the deck of a small ship is entirely different from seeing them from the perspective of a large cruise chip.

Direwolves, having done both, and I want to do them both again, I can say that they both are spectacular in their own way.

Edited by Treven

Also the Hawaii cruise will have 10 days at sea where as Panama has much fewer. I tell my wife if she wants to go th Hawai that we will fly there and spend more time on land.

I lived 10 + years inHawaii ... Arriving by air is tepid at best and arriving in Hawaiian airports is as exciting as Toledo. Instant gratification with lots of instant but short on the gratification.

The wonderful experience of feeling you are going somewhere and anticipating the journey. Day by day feeling the weather evolve.

Taking the time to learn in depth about Hawaii.... Getting into the swing of things . Discovering the islands as they were discovered....makes it a true feel of discovery you can not get from air travel.

You will have 5 full days then the opportunity to reflection what you saw and did....An important aspect today we often overlook...

Flying to Hawaii and traveling island to island is obscene in cost... cheap air between the islands is about $100pp one way per island....and takes 1/2 a day...you will easily spent thousands more and see far less.

Its an urban legend that you have to be on land to get the feel of Hawaii... its a crock!!!

Hands down visiting Hawaii or Tahiti is best done by ship....not land

Hawaii in Jan will be high-79 low 68. low humidity.

Much better value if you want to spend more time on the islands without all those sea days is to do NCL 1 week round trip Honolulu. That gives the best for the buck. (I did this when the ships were American Hawaii cruises.)

I fail to see the "better value" when you spend the SAME amt of time on each island regardless of the Honolulu start or the mainland start. ALSO, the cost of airfare and then the cruise cost REALLY change the value vs having everything included in your cruise.

I am tickled by the fact that those of us that have LIVED there have sailed the islands as well and found it so wonderful, while those that "vacation" there think they know the islands better....whateva brah!!!!

Edited by Debe7ing

As the OP, I figured I'd close the loop and thank you all, again, for your insights, advice, and recommendations. The decision has been made: I've opted for the 15-day Hawaii cruise. Yes, I'll be spending most of my days at sea and, yes, I'll only get a short time on each island. But that's Ok with me.

Counting down the days until I'll be cruising again.

As the OP, I figured I'd close the loop and thank you all, again, for your insights, advice, and recommendations. The decision has been made: I've opted for the 15-day Hawaii cruise. Yes, I'll be spending most of my days at sea and, yes, I'll only get a short time on each island. But that's Ok with me.

So happy for you, be sure to let us know what you think!!! Jealous for sure!!!! ;)

Congrats! Yes, please come back afterwards and let us know how things went and your experiences. Have a good trip.

Okay...time for my 2 cents worth of travel guide opinion. My lean is toward a Hawaiian cruise. My background? 3 Hawaiian Cruises (2 Panama Canal Cruises), local born (Kama'aina), and now part time resident of Hawaii.

First and foremost, I think it really DOES matters who you have as your Hawaiian Ambassadors (ELUA), as your Cruise Director (CD Dave Cole), and naturalist on board. They will make all the difference in your experience. You begin your adventure once you board the ship.

If you have never been to the islands, this is a terrific first time exposure so that you can decide which island you want to return to. I agree, there isn't enough time on each island, but sufficient. My preference would be to stay in Hilo longer (you can skip Kona). I agree, you can't see everything in one day, but you can put a big dent in your list. I agree, it depends what kind of traveler you are (adventurous or sightseer).

Hilo: Either Volcano National Park or the natural beauty of the islands (waterfalls, gardens, lava tree, blacksands, Hamakua Coast, etc). Best to rent a car and do on your own.

Honolulu: Around the island drive (4-6 hours) or Pearl Harbor and other historical venues (Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Punchbowl, Pali Lookout, Waipahu Plantation Village, etc)

Maui: Whale watch for sure (January-March). Save Road to Hana and Haleakala Sunrise for a land visit.

Kauai: Rent a car for Waimea Canyon, Poipu, Hanalei, Kilauea Lighthouse. Save NaPali Coast zodiac or Tubing the ditch for a land visit. Be sure to watch the ship go in and out of Nawiliwili Harbor. It is a marvel "almost" as exciting as the Panama Canal (well, not really).

Take advantage of the hula and/or ukulele lessons on board the ship. Attend all of the port talks (not port shopping talks). You will need the 5 return days to relax and sleep after your busy 4 port days.

Other:

I've done the NCL cruise around the island. Was not impressed except for the itinerary. I didn't have to pay for air fare nor hotel accommodations/meals before the trip.

I've taken advantage of the fly to any/all islands in 8 days promotion way back when for cheap. Still had to pay for car rentals, hotels, food, etc.

And please...while you are visiting our fair shores, be adventurous and try the local foods. You can eat at McDonalds when you return home.

Edited by cr8tiv1

least I think I know my math. My point was that you get 7 full days in Hawaii by flying in and out of Honolulu. Now for many people who just love a lot of sea days, and are fine with the 5 days in port out of 15 days, that's just fine.

I had a perfectly nice time on Princess Hawaii cruise, but that is when I realized that having that many sea days in a row, just isn't for me. To each his own.

least I think I know my math. My point was that you get 7 full days in Hawaii by flying in and out of Honolulu. Now for many people who just love a lot of sea days, and are fine with the 5 days in port out of 15 days, that's just fine.

I had a perfectly nice time on Princess Hawaii cruise, but that is when I realized that having that many sea days in a row, just isn't for me. To each his own.

I respect your position and humbly disagree. What is missing with the NCL cruise is the history and cultural lessons learned during the sea days. So if you count those days also, you actually have much more "time" experiencing the islands.

Plus, how many visitors to the islands actually go to all the islands during their one land trip? I can say that I have been to every inhabitable island with the exception of Niihau, but it took me 50 years to do so. Even been to Kalaupapa and that should be everyone's number one destination before the residents are all gone.

I do not disagree with you. NCL has the very best itinerary with 2 overnight ports, a night sail by the Big Island (although very little lava is trickling into the sea), and a spectacular sail by of the NaPali Coastline. But there is so little Hawaiiana going on during the cruise or doing the day since everyone tends to be in port.

I do not disagree with you when it comes to doing a land visit either. I return month after month; year after year to these beautiful islands. But, I am sold on cruising over to the islands. Will I do it again...you betcha. I am fortunate to be able to spend months here too. Living the best of both worlds.

E Komo Mai. Welcome to the islands. Support our economy. Spend your money here.

I respect your position and humbly disagree. What is missing with the NCL cruise is the history and cultural lessons learned during the sea days. So if you count those days also, you actually have much more "time" experiencing the islands.

With all due respect…

I booked the Golden because Elua was to be onboard, but they switched to a Japan cruise at the last minute…so maybe I missed the superstars.

But my "cultural lessons" included learning the hula - something I found so tedious that I quit halfway through and stuck to Zumba - and braiding a lei, a summer camp activity if ever there was one. The passengers' uke show was cute, and there was Hawaiian music, but nothing more cultural authentic than the late, lamented Kodak Hula Show. Hawaiian art onboard? The usual Thomas Kinkade dreck and the paintings of drunken olives. Yes, there may well have been Hawaiian history lectures that I missed (I'm too lazy to check my Patters) but my experience onboard wasn't even remotely equal to just spending a single day at the Bishop Museum, the Arizona, and the Mission Houses.

The Canal cruises? There are always lectures on the politics and engineering of the Canal, something I find more interesting than dancing to "I Want to Go Back to My Little Grass Shack." There's also an excellent documentary film on the building of the Canal. I love Cartagena's fort and old town. On my partial transit, I did the Princess excursion to an Embera Indian village and found it a lot better and more authentic than I'd expected, and on that cruise, my pal Dr. Ray lectured on the geology and oceanography of the region. And, of course, one day is devoted to a journey through the locks, with onboard commentary.

So I'd say that in my experience, the Canal Cruise was actually more culturally/educationally/whatever more rewarding than the Hawaii cruise. Yes, I love visiting Hawaii, but let's not try to make the Princess' Hawaiian cultural program more than it is.

Edited by shepp

...NCL has the very best itinerary with 2 overnight ports, a night sail by the Big Island (although very little lava is trickling into the sea), and a spectacular sail by of the NaPali Coastline. But there is so little Hawaiiana going on during the cruise or doing the day since everyone tends to be in port...

OT: It is too bad that NCL has dropped the ball on this. The now-defunct American Hawaii Cruises used to do this itinerary, and had an onboard Kumu teaching the history and customs of the islands, making the itinerary come alive. Lots of Aloha onboard, and my most memorable cruise to date. I can still taste the Maui onion salad dressing. Yum :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78