Drone video of the Dawn Grounding.

FIRELT5

? Didn't the caption know it was there.

You mean the Captain? Didn't know what was there, the drone or the reef? If you mean the reef, well he'd be an unbelievably clueless captain not to know about the reefs of Bermuda and nobody that clueless would become a captain. Well, maybe for Costa or the Exxon Valdez. Anyway, when your ship suffers a steering casualty, it doesn't matter if you know where every square inch of reef is located.

You mean the Captain? Didn't know what was there, the drone or the reef? If you mean the reef, well he'd be an unbelievably clueless captain not to know about the reefs of Bermuda and nobody that clueless would become a captain. Well, maybe for Costa or the Exxon Valdez. Anyway, when your ship suffers a steering casualty, it doesn't matter if you know where every square inch of reef is located.

Umm.... well let's see how this unfolds. If there was a mechanical issue, how could she leave for home the next day?

Umm.... well let's see how this unfolds. If there was a mechanical issue, how could she leave for home the next day?

The mechanical issue was because of the loss of power. It wasn't malfunctioning on it's own so it didn't need fixing.

I like that the OP found video of the Dawn GROUNDED. What I was hoping to see was the Dawn GROUNDING, as mentioned in the thread title.

I think it wasn't a real video at all, but a superimposed video. Why would the ship have a boat hooked on it midship? If it was real, why did it get pushed into the reef? Quite a coincidence a drone was there, isn't it?

I think it wasn't a real video at all, but a superimposed video. Why would the ship have a boat hooked on it midship? If it was real, why did it get pushed into the reef? Quite a coincidence a drone was there, isn't it?

After looking closely, I think the pushing effect was really from the circling of a drone.

The mechanical issue was because of the loss of power. It wasn't malfunctioning on it's own so it didn't need fixing.

Well.... I admit to being a bit skeptical. But, here is what USA reported:

"The team confirmed the structural integrity of the ship, and the technical issue (that) caused the steering malfunction was identified and corrected," the line said Wednesday afternoon in a statement."

How come the statement is from NCL is so vauge? I don't see where NCL stated "loss of power"

Technical could be ??? Should I start the list??? Steering Malfunction??

* Wrong coordinates used

* nav system failed

* power loss due to?

* The person at the helm?

Help me here... I would like to know specifcially what happened.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Paranoia & a lack of maritime knowledge may result in above posting. :D

Just kidding RB!

Impressive video, seeing her there sitting on that small reef, no lights or neon on. Captain must be ashamed to the max!

Well.... I admit to being a bit skeptical. But, here is what USA reported:

"The team confirmed the structural integrity of the ship, and the technical issue (that) caused the steering malfunction was identified and corrected," the line said Wednesday afternoon in a statement."

How come the statement is from NCL is so vauge? I don't see where NCL stated "loss of power"

Technical could be ??? Should I start the list??? Steering Malfunction??

* Wrong coordinates used

* nav system failed

* power loss due to?

* The person at the helm?

Help me here... I would like to know specifcially what happened.

One of the articles stated that steering was affected from the power outage.

In an article I had read, the ship lost power resulting in loss of navigation. The captain used the thrusters to settle the ship onto the limestone reef so that it wouldn't be bobbing like a cork. Dive teams inspected and found no hull damage, so the ship was floated off the reef at high tide and anchored in deeper water till sunrise, at which time it was sailed back to King's Wharf and full inspection of power and navigations systems was done.

This all sounds like a plausible explanation to me and if it's true, I applaud the Captain for his quick thinking. I would MUCH rather be "grounded" on a reef and floating around aimlessly in a very narrow channel.

Cruise ships are generally not designed to hit reefs, thin steel hulls and being close to port (seeing all those small boats around her in the video) help could have make a quick rescue (tug boats). So I am not sure..

NCL PR department isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but even they should quickly played the Captain saved the ship card if that was the case?