Smuggling/stealing alcohol bad. Smuggling/stealing soda and water OK

There is no double Standard at all, because the rule is pretty clear cut. You are not allowed to bring any alcohol onboard, except the allowance of two bottles of wine or champagne. However you can bring non-alcoholic Drinks.

This is from my current cruise docs:

210zwxz.jpg

As you can see they even explicitly say you can bring stuff like water and Soda, etc.

They are subject to inspection and might be disposed if they contain alcohol.

So in reality only alcohol is prohibited.

The no Drinks at all rule was in effect years ago and I guess many Folks still repeat this on the boards, however it´s not true at this time.

It´s a Problem with message boards where many People will repeat some information over and over even if it´s not accurate anymore, sometimes just because they didn´t realize and sometimes because there´s People on here who might have never stepped onboard a cruiseship, but still Claim themselves as the biggest experts just by repeating from other Posters.

I took the last portion to refer to SINGLE bottles. i.e., a single water or soda bottle that could have been purchased/picked up on the way to port and carried in hand or tucked in a purse. Not the cases of water that people like to bring on. You CAN buy 1 liter bottles of water and soda. They can be easily carried in hand. One could simply buy a 1 liter Ozarka bottle, dump the water and fill it with vodka. These single bottles could be subject to search.

So, the last portion isn't contradicting the first paragraph. It's referring to something different.

However, allowing the cases of water and sodas IS a contradiction of their policy.

Again, highlighted in red :) To me that says no water or soda allowed. Period. They just dont enforce it most of the time.

But it does say, later, that water and soda containers may be inspected to see if they contain alcohol. This gives the implication, at least, that they don't really care if you're bringing water on. And this is confirmed my many people who have openly done so without issue.

I don't get bent out of shape about booze "smuggling," but I've been known to give some posters a hard time about it. But it's not so much the "rule" as it is some of the measures some people will take to try to get away with it. Seems a little childish. If someone says, "I'm going to put a bottle of vodka in my bag and hope it gets through, but if not, no big deal," it's not quite the same as talking about the efforts they go to to conceal in rum-runners, listerine bottles, etc.

Been one of my hot buttons also. Just can't figure out how people justify dragging the alcohol smugglers over the coals. Then do no criticizing of the ones that drag water and soda on board. Those are also a revenue streams for RCCL.

There I will get off of my soap box now.

People should be happy that they can drag on all the water they want - in spite of the fact ships water is perfectly acceptable and if you want it with ice and very cold go to the water dispensers. Same goes for soda.

Since "non-alcoholic" is listed under the "Alcohol Policy," my interpretation has always been that meant things like the non-alcoholic beers (e.g. O'Douls) etc. So I looked up the definition of non-alcoholic in several places and came up with the following common definition:

"Alcohol-free, or non-alcoholic beverages, are non-alcoholic versions of typically alcoholic beverages, such as beer and cocktails. These may take the form of a non-alcoholic mixed drink (a "virgin drink"), non-alcoholic beer ("near beer") and "mocktails", and are widely available where alcoholic beverages are sold."

So based on that, I would think water is allowed. Disney Cruise line spells it out much more clearly and adds "Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension."

BUT....technically non-alcoholic does means "without alcohol" .... and had RCCL stated that word elsewhere and not under the alcohol policy section, my interpretation would be different.

Sounds like RCCL needs to update their policies and specifically state "water" since it's open to interpretation.

I absolutely agree money is a factor in a decision to not allow alcohol to be brought aboard, but it's also a safety issue.

If the ship controls the liquor, it can cut people off who are clearly past where they should be. If alcohol is able to be brought aboard, it could POSSIBLY lead to folks going way overboard (hopefully not literally, haha) to the point they hurt themselves (either alcohol poisoning or so drunk they hurt themselves moving, etc).

While they may prefer folks to buy the Royal Replentish package, if someone brings some water or soda, from what I can see it's not nearly a big a deal.

I absolutely agree money is a factor in a decision to not allow alcohol to be brought aboard, but it's also a safety issue.

If the ship controls the liquor, it can cut people off who are clearly past where they should be. If alcohol is able to be brought aboard, it could POSSIBLY lead to folks going way overboard (hopefully not literally, haha) to the point they hurt themselves (either alcohol poisoning or so drunk they hurt themselves moving, etc).

While they may prefer folks to buy the Royal Replentish package, if someone brings some water or soda, from what I can see it's not nearly a big a deal.

Disney allows passengers to bring alcohol onboard.

I don't get the whole 'you break the rules and your a bad bad person' mentality. I read a thread today about the d.c. lounge and how someone poured three drinks into a cup and left with it when it clearly states you are not allowed to take drinks out of the lounge. then the person went on to say 'I only take one with me'. really? your breaking the rule (apparently, i'm not diamond and only can go by what was said) and your way is okay but the person who topped you is wrong? :cool:

precious!

don't beat me up, i'm just saying you can't complain if you break rules to. :rolleyes:

It has everything to do with Money and nothing to so with safety. Can drunk throw themselves overboard? Yes.... They can do that with RCCL liquor or their own. They could do it with 2 bottle if wine that RCCL let them bring on. Plus the statistical probability of that happening, compared to the amount of cruisers weekly worldwide, is low enough that its not a factor

Cruise line profits, especially carnival, royal, and NCL, are almost ENTIRELY in on ship sales. Booze, up-charged food, and merchandise. Thats the profit margin. Cost of the cruise covers costs of the company.... So its ALL about money

Scheduled for an October cruise on the Navigator out of Galveston. Looking at the website for that cruise, it offers a water package for $39 .... there is no way I can drink $39 worth of Evian water on a 7-day sailing. I'll just pick up my 12-bottle case and carry it with me. Just saying .. or we'll just go back to another cruise line that is more passenger friendly (not the other Galveston cruise line). Just saying.

Fascinating discussion and amusing positions from some awfully High horses. So from my trusty steed; although I understand what the policy reads, I do not believe anyone would consider it smuggling when I put a luggage tag on a 12 pack of diet Pepsi and the porters deliver it to my cabin? That being said, I would not be the least bit resentful it were confiscated. And quite frankly, I am surprised every time it shows up. Additionally, I always buy the soda package, but I would rather not have to leave my cabin to get a refill in the early morning or late at night and consequently pay for the can in the mini fridge.

I don't even know how the water can even be called smuggling. It's not being illegally hidden or done under the radar.

I had an unopened one liter bottle in my carry-on, they saw it, it went through security, they knew I had it. Same with putting a luggage tag on a case of water. They see it, the porters, employees know you have it. It's approved and is delivered to your room just like any other piece of luggage with a tag on it.

It's not being smuggled on board like a sneaky dirty secret people are trying to hide.

Spoke with a passenger on Enchantment in March. He filled a water bottle with vodka in Nassau. No check getting on ship. Interesting idea

Boarded with a water bottle in my purse on Thursday in Cape Liberty (Liberty of the Seas) and they checked it-shook it up to be sure it didn't bubble. Just boarded again in Bermuda and there were probably 8-10 water bottles sitting by the x-ray machine (and a couple of clear plastic cup/lid/straws that were 1/2 full or more of clear liquid...honestly looked like water or maybe lemonade). These were clearly confiscated, and I suspect they were all pretty much what they looked like...non-alcoholic beverages.

I purchase the soda card, and can therefore get the soda at any time on the ship. I also bring a 6-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper, which is my preference and NOT available. I bring the 6-pack because I occasionally like to have a few sips of soda late at night, in the night if I wake up or in the morning. If I have a bottle in the fridge, I can have a few sips when and if I decide to without having to get dressed and walk to a bar/promenade cafe on the ship in the middle of the night. I'm costing them ZERO. I've never tried to smuggle it or hide it. They also see that I've already purchased the soda package. Don't know if that plays any part in it or not.

Some things to consider , yes, because I'm board:D

How about this:

Inconsistancies and double standards abound on both sides, both with cruise lines and consumers...

Cruise lines practice selected enforcement which varies from port to port and ship to ship.

AND...Consider the tendency of personal human nature to be lenient

on self, while judgmental of others.

Common experience: How many of us get MAD at our OWN driving because we forgot to use our turn signal ?

But will react angrily to the one in front of us who made us slam on our brakes for same infraction, even though we were tailgating?:p

Other consideration: Rule of Law vs. a company's stated rules.

These are not equivalent.

Or even in legal arguement, the spirit of the law vs. letter of the law:

55 mph posted speed limit and the accepted law enforcemet action only at 10 mph above said limit?

Anyway, we will continue to let ourselves "of the hook" while we claim moral judicial powers when judging from obsevation of others, which BTW....is still a free entertainment option when cruising!:D

Enjoy!

Al

Nope re-read it.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port.

You are allowed to bring it onboard, just not for consumption or any other use on Boarding day or while in port.

So at sea you can use or consume it:D:p:p

I would love to watch someone use this interpretation (you can bring it but only consume it on Sea Days) during Embarkation and successful get their Scotch on board.

I'm no lawyer but I take the quoted part to mean no matter when you are bringing it on, Embarkation or Port Day, no matter if you want to drink it or rub it in your belly, you are not allowed to bring the following.