Airline cutting it too close? What do you think?

Another airline person here. Been a flight attendant for almost 30 years and when I cruise I always travel the day before. Chances are that nothing will happen and you'll get there on time, but I've seen too many things happen and then that $93 dollar ticket is going to cost you a lot more. Not worth the worrying and stress the days before and the day of your holiday that you've planned and looked forward to for so long.

Another airline person here. Been a flight attendant for almost 30 years and when I cruise I always travel the day before. Chances are that nothing will happen and you'll get there on time, but I've seen too many things happen and then that $93 dollar ticket is going to cost you a lot more. Not worth the worrying and stress the days before and the day of your holiday that you've planned and looked forward to for so long.

20 years ago when we first started cruising airlines were more reliable and we would fly in the day of the cruise.

These days with airlines cancelling flights to save money wouldnt take the chance of same day.

I posted before and am an airline guy. Our industry does a great job moving millions of people. But it isn't a perfect world.

I never go the day of the cruise, even if I am driving 4 hours to get to the port. That isn't a perfect world either. I so agree with you, go a day before. Whether flying, driving, bus or train. And if cruising from Europe etc I would prefer to arrive 2 days early. Great advice from you.

Good point. For my Sensation cruise from Port Canaveral, I missed my morning flight to Orlando because I overslept! :eek: I had maybe 7 alarms set between my phone and wall clock, yet somehow I managed to miss them all. I was able to catch an early afternoon flight, no big deal, but if it was the day of, I most certainly would have missed my cruise.

I will NEVER fly in the same day. NEVER.

OP- inquiring minds want to know what you decided to do? :confused:

I agree, Never. Not even when I drive to the port 4 hours. Not worth it.

I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory on September 19th. I've found amazing prices on a non-stop flight direct from (CVG)Cincinnati - (FFL)Fort Lauderdale. FFL is about 39 minutes away from the port. This flight is scheduled to land at FFL at 10:20am. Boarding time is 12:30pm-2:30pm, so in a perfect, non-delayed, no traffic world, this would put us at the port right around or just after 12:00pm. But we all know this isn't a perfect world and things happen. This flight would give us about 3 hours max to allow for delays/traffic.

My question, would you go for this flight or would you pay more than double the price and fly in the night before? I've always tried to arrive the day before my cruise, but these airline tickets are only $93 each!

This time of year the odds are in your favor. Besides do you take insurance? I always fly in the day of and never missed a cruise yet (25) and if your late you'll have company and the ship will wait as long as possible. 10'20 AM landing gives you a big cushion.

I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory on September 19th. I've found amazing prices on a non-stop flight direct from (CVG)Cincinnati - (FFL)Fort Lauderdale. FFL is about 39 minutes away from the port. This flight is scheduled to land at FFL at 10:20am. Boarding time is 12:30pm-2:30pm, so in a perfect, non-delayed, no traffic world, this would put us at the port right around or just after 12:00pm. But we all know this isn't a perfect world and things happen. This flight would give us about 3 hours max to allow for delays/traffic.

My question, would you go for this flight or would you pay more than double the price and fly in the night before? I've always tried to arrive the day before my cruise, but these airline tickets are only $93 each!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

Isn't there or wasn't there a provision or something where the ship personnel had to have a passenger manifest to TSA or a port authority like an hour or more before the ship departure time? A co-worker had an experience last year on a RCCL cruise out of FLL where they had a same day flight that had issues. They were finally routed to FLL and arrived at the port in FLL and the OAS was still in port however they were denied boarding because they arrived after the passenger manifest was submitted. I'd think Carnival transfers would avoid this, but is this a possibility still?

• 5 weeks later...

Unless your Ohio weather causes a delay you should be fine. We are flying out of ATL into FLL and our plane lands about 9:55 am. Last March we flew out of ATL landed in FLL at around 9:10. We did not use Carnival Shuttle we used Quality Limo Service. They picked us up in a van with another couple and a single cruiser. PU was supposed to be 9:45. As soon as I turned my phone on in the airport it was ringing. It was Quality Limo. They said they would just wait on us to get out of the airport. We had a checked bag and still and NO FTTF either....we were on the boat and eating a Guys Burger on the Liberty at 11:10 am. AND best of all....Quality Limo cost HALF what Carnival charges. They were awesome. We are using them again this Sept. Last March me and hubby for 25th anniv. This Sept...me and 3 of my girlfriends....

Edited by hillcitygirl

We ended up getting a flight that arrives the night before. It also lands in Miami so we'll be right by the port. CVG (Cincinnati) has had a lot of delays over 2 hours lately and I just couldn't risk it. At least now we'll be in Miami the night before so our vacation starts a day sooner!

Also, check those other shuttle companies. There are tons. Like I said we paid half what Carnival was going to charge us for one way. Also, if gonna be around night before check into car rental. We rented a car for day on return in downtown Miami, Avis, I think. $50 including taxes and returned it at the airport. We had a Beamer....can't beat that for $50 for the day.

Fly the day before, it's simply not worth the risk of missing your ship.

Discounts are great, insurance really comes in handy when needed, but nothing is going to compensate you for the missed experience.

Having been married to the airline industry for more than 20 years I'm here to tell you, ANYTHING can happen. Don't be a victim.:eek:

We ended up getting a flight that arrives the night before. It also lands in Miami so we'll be right by the port. CVG (Cincinnati) has had a lot of delays over 2 hours lately and I just couldn't risk it. At least now we'll be in Miami the night before so our vacation starts a day sooner!

Smart move. Now you won't have to worry about getting to the port on time.

We flew down the same day as our cruise only once & I was a nervous wreck that something would go wrong. You'll start your cruise nice & relaxed if you arrive the day before.

Geez this thread has me worried, I'm arriving at the airport (Miami) at 11:40 AM for a 1-3 PM embarkation and 4 PM sailing, thought it was plenty of time :o.

Nope- this is far from "plenty of time" You have ONE chance to make your cruise. ANYTHING happens you aren't. Be prepared and take only carryon. Good Luck.

My husband was an airline employee for 30+ years, with me, nonreving very frequently.

I find many of these, "no problem" posts are highly naive thinking. NOBODY knows anything about flight arrivals until it happens. All those "claims" are hindsight. At the time- they didn't know if they were going to make it either. :)

There is only one bottom line- the closer you plan to arrive to the cruise departure- the less chance you have for any backup plans. The fewer options can go wrong for you to make your cruise.

Verify insurance policies, there are big differences between them. And great advice, always travel with a passport.

I don't know if you just made a typo but the airport code for Fort Lauderdale is FLL.

If you book a flight to FFL as you wrote, you will end up in Fairfield, Iowa !

My husband was an airline employee for 30+ years, with me, nonreving very frequently.

I find many of these, "no problem" posts are highly naive thinking. NOBODY knows anything about flight arrivals until it happens. All those "claims" are hindsight. At the time- they didn't know if they were going to make it either. :)

There is only one bottom line- the closer you plan to arrive to the cruise departure- the less chance you have for any backup plans. The fewer options can go wrong for you to make your cruise.

Verify insurance policies, there are big differences between them. And great advice, always travel with a passport.

Very solid advice. I have also worked in the airline industry for over 30 years, so I too know what can go wrong. Overall most flights go without a hitch, but there are enough that I would not want to chance it. I work in the dept that handles delayed and canceled flights so I see it 1st hand during the course of my job duty. When I see a resv that is a cruise resv, and is affected I cringe.

I usually fly confirmed to a cruise, but eventhen, I fly the day earlier including driving to a cruise always 1 day before the cruise date.

Happy sailing. Cheers.

You will be alright, especially if SAS takes you there. We are flying into New Orleans Nov 1.Day of cruise. Southwest changed their schedules and we would not be arriving until nearly 2:00. It would be 3:oo before we got to the port. Getting on the ship less than an hr before sailaway is way too close for me. We changed the time to a much earlier flight.

A few years ago SAS picked us up from FLL along with another passenger. This was about 3:00. Her ship was to leave at 4:00. SAS got in high gear and had her there in time. (way too close). I say all this because I think you will be fine.

I saw a couple posts in this thread that indicated folks who DROVE to the port left the day before. Now I can see that as a convenience and a relaxing way to begin but do some folks really think a 4 hour car ride carries too much risk? One could leave home at 5a and be at the port by 9a. Even a flat tire or bad traffic would make that noonish in a worst case scenario.

I saw a couple posts in this thread that indicated folks who DROVE to the port left the day before. Now I can see that as a convenience and a relaxing way to begin but do some folks really think a 4 hour car ride carries too much risk? One could leave home at 5a and be at the port by 9a. Even a flat tire or bad traffic would make that noonish in a worst case scenario.

Yes, I do drive down the day before. More of a cushion in the event something goes wrong. A flat tire is one thing, but what I am concerned about is something more severe with a mechanical problem with the car. My car is fairly new but anything can happen.

All in all a better way for me, including like you said, a convenient and relaxing way to start the cruise. Plus I don't relish having to wake up at 4AM for a 5AM departure from my home.

Happy sailing.

I live in Orlando area and drive to Port Canaveral -1 hr 15 min, Tampa - 2 hr, FLL - 4 hour and MIA 4 1/2 hrs. I have always booked hotel night before. Not only do I start fresh the day of cruise but my vacation starts 1 day earlier when I leave my home. Win-Win situation for me.

I live in Orlando area and drive to Port Canaveral -1 hr 15 min, Tampa - 2 hr, FLL - 4 hour and MIA 4 1/2 hrs. I have always booked hotel night before. Not only do I start fresh the day of cruise but my vacation starts 1 day earlier when I leave my home. Win-Win situation for me.

Yeah you are right, a win win. I feel the same. One extra day of vacation and start the cruise fresh.