Off Menu Order?

Oxo

It's actually a lot easier to do on deck. Less flammables (think tablecloths for example - and clothing on formal night. Plus cooking equipment like that has more safeties.

Sparklers are dangerous but most don't meet sustained temps necessary to cause combustion in fabric as opposed to char (and you can get low temp sparklers)

Personally, I think the real issue is insurance. Any flame based activity requires special precautions and probably an insurance rider, which costs $$$ (flambe especially because you have flaming liquids, which are the most dangerous)

Possible, however, some cruise lines still do a BBQ on deck with open grills. Then you have the Baked Alaska with sparklers instead of flame. Sparklers are very dangerous and cause fire and burns.

I still think it is because of staff and budget.

As I noted, there is a difference between dietary and just because. Even so, there are some chefs who welcome a little variety and a chance to do something a bit different and there are some who are more like kitchen generals who prefer a set flow.

If you get the former, you are far more likely to get a request than the latter (we've had both on Princess)

I'm sure they consider people who order special items to be PITA's but they still try to comply. I can't see why the typical items they offer can't be sufficient for everyone but I suppose there are some that just want it their way. :p

While I've often read of people doing this I never felt I was all that "special" that I would expect them to go out of their way for something way off menu. Asking for a sliced chicken breast on the fettuccine Alfredo isn't something I would hesitate to do but asking for a special meal seems a bit over the top.

On our last Princess cruise, our friend really liked one of the cold soups and the next night asked the waiter if it might be available again another night. The waiter brought it for him that night and asked on the next few nights if he'd like it again.

Except its not up to the waiter...

Just so everyone understands, if you are asking for something not on menu and that cannot be modified from the current menu here is the process that has to occur:

1> The server or headwaiter requests the dish from either the Exec Chef or one of the head chefs of an area.

2> If they say yes, any ingredients not already in the kitchen have to be requested from stores. Depending on projected usage needs, the provisions manager may say no. Someone then has to go get them from stores.

3> Someone from the kitchen staff, if not the EC themselves has to be detailed to prep and make the item. This may be the same staffer(s) handling dietary issues, so if allergens are a concern they may need to use another area, etc.

4> The server needs to detour from the usual lines to get the dish and serve to you.

Now, I am not saying that the crew is not willing to do so, or that you should never ask, but its important to understand what you are asking for, and why they might say no to some requests.

And as noted, the complexity of the request will make a big difference. It's a lot different to ask for a plain chicken breast versus coq a vin...

Recently on our Royal cruise we had the best waiter we have ever had and he would get you anything you wanted that was not on the menu.

On our last Princess cruise, our friend really liked one of the cold soups and the next night asked the waiter if it might be available again another night. The waiter brought it for him that night and asked on the next few nights if he'd like it again.

That's not uncommon.

One night DW had a desert and I said gee I wish I'd had that it looks [and tastes after I pinched half of hers] so good. Next night (and every night thereafter) waiter asked would like it, not once did I ask for it. When i was asking about how it happened he explained that night 2 it was on the specialty menu, so wasn't a problem, then as a few from MDR had it on night 2 the kitchen kept producing a number each day, if they weren't used they'd have gone to staff DR.

But s different IMO to asking for something that has not been on the menu at any time.

Head waiters will often make special dishes and offer it to all tables. Doesn't have anything to do with whether he likes you or not. It's a thing they've been doing for years.

Possible, but it was quite obvious ours was the only table getting these special dishes. Who's to say the motive, but it was appreciated.

Possible, but it was quite obvious ours was the only table getting these special dishes. Who's to say the motive, but it was appreciated.

Your the 3rd person that I will ask - What were the special dishes you got? Thank you!

Head waiters will often make special dishes and offer it to all tables. Doesn't have anything to do with whether he likes you or not. It's a thing they've been doing for years.

I'm an Elite with Princess so I know what happens, but not this time. It was only for our table, we heard others diners ask what was being served at our table!

Yikes, so trying to get back on the subject...........

What are some of the special requests made in the dining room?

I like to order the pasta dish as an appetizer at dinner. I don't think that counts, as it is suggested on the menu.

Love the Melon Sorbet... could I request to have that every night for dessert on the first night?

If they have it made, yes. They may have some left from a prior cruise for example. If not, you may be asked to wait until its on menu...

A basic sorbet is also one that takes very little time to make and can be prepped off hours, so a chef may be more accommodating for that then something that needs to be made a la minute.

I like to order the pasta dish as an appetizer at dinner. I don't think that counts, as it is suggested on the menu.

Love the Melon Sorbet... could I request to have that every night for dessert on the first night?

I suspect that one would be a yes.

I ask for fries each night (never a no) and Ice Cream with my desert (sometimes can get last nights flavour other times no).

To the Op one dish that I like asking for is a Philippine dish called Pancit. A noodle dish with veggies and shrimp and other types of meat. We will order for the table and everyone seems to like it. The ship has all the ingredients and it usually takes a couple of days of planning.

To the Op one dish that I like asking for is a Philippine dish called Pancit. A noodle dish with veggies and shrimp and other types of meat. We will order for the table and everyone seems to like it. The ship has all the ingredients and it usually takes a couple of days of planning.

Wow, I make that and the last time we requested that was years ago. One of the Headwaiters was from the Philippines who we knew. He had it made for us and there was so much we could not even make a dent in it. He said it was OK, as whatever we did not eat they would share it. It was fantastic.

Now that is a special request!!!!!!

I've seen it made many times over the years for Filipino quests. My old boss use to bring it into work for us around the holidays. I really liked it. There are many Filipino crew members so they do had the items to prepare it. And yes they do make a lot and do share.

Your the 3rd person that I will ask - What were the special dishes you got? Thank you!

One day we were told not to order an appetizer and Darko brought out a very large tray of marinated grilled vegetables as an antipasto that was incredible. We were definitely the only table that got this dish anywhere around us.

Another night we were told he had something for our table and he brought out a HUGE tray of shrimp scampi that he had marinating all afternoon. Again we were the only table he brought this too.

Another night he brought out a whole cheesecake instead of the typical small birthday chocolate cake.

There were a few other smaller dishes he brought throughout the TA but those were the truly memorable ones.

Edited by Dudleydog73
clarity

One day we were told not to order an appetizer and Darko brought out a very large tray of marinated grilled vegetables as an antipasto that was incredible. We were definitely the only table that got this dish anywhere around us.

Another night we were told he had something for our table and he brought out a HUGE tray of shrimp scampi that he had marinating all afternoon. Again we were the only table he brought this too.

Another night he brought out a whole cheesecake instead of the typical small birthday chocolate cake.

There were a few other smaller dishes he brought throughout the TA but those were the truly memorable ones.

Fantastic! One in a million!

There are many things that are a snap to add or make because the ingredients are on hand. Something like french fries, as mention by someone above, would be acceptable to ask because it's on the children's menu (many have said they will order something from that menu...there's no age restriction).

And head waiters will make a big show about special items. I would imagine if passengers at a table saw him give a special item to one table and asked if they can try it too, he would oblige, even if to say he'll get them the item the next night if it takes some advance preparation (and there was only enough for one table). No way is a head waiter going to say no. But our experience has been for the head waiter to come to each table and say he's making something special so save some room. On our last cruise, he was still on another table and we were ready to leave, so we did without getting the dish. Not a biggie. And we usually don't watch other tables to see what they're getting so I don't know if we missed out on any special food. Again, not a biggie.

But I would never impose on the chef and his staff by requesting something off the menu, especially not something that would take some preparation. To me, that would take away service from others. I'm not that inconsiderate or selfish.

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

This is just a guess but as the ships get bigger and bigger the special orders will probably go by the way side. What they offered to the guests 10 to 15 years ago will probably not work as well going forward.

A few years ago I saw Pineapple Crème Brule on the menu and remembering how wonderful their Raspberry Crème Brule had been in the past I asked if they would be serving the Raspberry variety latter on the cruise. I was told no, but if I would like they could have it for me the next night. The following night they served me two of these wonderful treats. I didn’t intend for any special treatment or for them to go out of their way to prepare something not on the menu. I was just inquiring if it would be served later on the cruise.