Panama in Dec-Jan

colbe

I am looking to do the Dec 18 Panama cruise on Amsterdam leaving San Diego on December 18. This will probably be my only time doing the canal. Are there any reasons why this would not be a good time of the year?

Suggestions for a moderate price Hotel pre-cruise? Best place for an OV on board? Thanks.

If you look on the Panama board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

you will see December can be wet, but that is just a fact of life in Panama. Otherwise it is a good time for the Canal.

If you look on the West Coast Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

you will get lots of info about San Diego, including that there are about 5 or so hotels within walking distance of the pier. You may need to define further what is "moderately" priced.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Did the canal twice, both in December, both great trips, hardly any rain but can be quite warm.

I loved my OV room on Amsterdam lower promenade deck. When it got too warm for me outside I went to the room, actually sat in the window well and kept watch on the bow cam on the TV. This way I had good views from window and TV and could quickly trot outside for camera shots. We were just aft of the atrium "behind" the elevators and second room from the outside doors. Fabulous location. Never heard the elevators and being just off the atrium it was quiet, just steps from the giant, shady "balcony". Enjoy, m--

Have done this cruise and loved it. the Canal is fascinating and HAL boards a Canal lecturer for the passage. Originally we were going to watch from our balcony but the lecturer was too good so we went up on deck or to the Crow's Nest. They may open the bow of the ship so you can get up close and personal! It was hot, humid but we had no rain.

One tip on excursions - if you have the option, do them early in the day. We had a 7 AM one in Costa Rica and while we hated to get going that early, we sure were glad we did when the people who were on the Noon one came back to the ship all exhausted and HOT!

Edited by DaveOKC

Many thanks for all your helpful replies. I am now working on the logistics of flying New Zealand-San Diego and Florida-NZ. When that is sorted I can start the bookings.