Beverage packages for wine enthusiasts

...also known as winos :D We're sailing on Adventure of the Seas in three weeks and are considering a beverage package. Does anyone have experience with the various packages and if so, what recommendations do you have? Hubby and I might partake of a Bloody Mary or a poolside cocktail here and there, but for the most part will probably be drinking wine. We're not wine snobs or anything, but after years of living in California we are somewhat particular about the wines we drink. Is it worth it to pay for the more expensive drink package in order to have access to higher quality wines? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!!

If you are particular about wine, then I'd skip the packages and just buy bottles. The packages only cover wines available by the glass, and there are many more choices that are only available by the bottle.

If you are particular about wine, then I'd skip the packages and just buy bottles. The packages only cover wines available by the glass, and there are many more choices that are only available by the bottle.

I would tend to agree. But they do make really good Bloody Marys. . .

Thanks for the information re: by the glass vs. by the bottle! That's helpful. I've been trying to educate myself via the RCCL website, but there's just not that much information there about the packages.

I have two additional questions:

1) Does anyone know if there are lists available that tell which wines are available by the glass vs by the bottle? Honestly, as long as there's a decent pinot grigio and/or sauvignon blanc available by the glass hubby and I will be satisfied.

2) The website says drink packages have to be purchased four days before departure, but do they allow you the option to purchase once on board? (This is what we did on a Disney cruise years ago, it allowed us to make a more informed decision).

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide!

...also known as winos :D We're sailing on Adventure of the Seas in three weeks and are considering a beverage package. Does anyone have experience with the various packages and if so, what recommendations do you have? Hubby and I might partake of a Bloody Mary or a poolside cocktail here and there, but for the most part will probably be drinking wine. We're not wine snobs or anything, but after years of living in California we are somewhat particular about the wines we drink. Is it worth it to pay for the more expensive drink package in order to have access to higher quality wines? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!![/quote

We got off The Liberty last Saturday. Our situation exactly like yours except we don't live in California! We just bought bottles of wine so we were able to drink the wines we liked. Remember, they will cork it for you and you can have it in the dining rooms or take to your room.

Marg

We just returned from an RCL cruise and purchased the "Premium" package.

If you are a wine enthusiast, you will likely be disappointed with the selection. Choices are very limited and those that are offered within the plan guidelines are brands you wouldn't even consider off the ship. On the third day, we cancelled the beverage package and received a refund for the remaining days on board. My recommendation is to not to get your hopes up in general and pass on the packages in particular.

Thanks everyone for the information - it's very helpful! We're going to wait until we board to make a final decision, but it sounds like perhaps buying bottles is the better way to go. Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions - it's much appreciated :)