Bigger balcony

dam64

Obstructed deluxe balcony forward cabins on Royal Princess, which balcony is bigger on the Lido deck or Marina deck? From the Princess website it doesn't give the exact measurements. Thanks.

Are you asking specifically about the forward-facing deluxe staterooms? If so, here's an image that might help...note too that Lido Deck cabins 101 and 102 having bigger balconies than their counterparts on Marina Deck:

9143908146_46dc0d3e63_b.jpg

:D

That these cabins, except when the ship is stopped at a pier will have a 20 to 40 mph min wind blowing directly on you.

When at anchor they will steer the bow into the wind and drop anchor... so again on of the windiest possible aspect of the ship are you sure you want that??

Here's a closer look at the L101 balcony

L101_balcony.jpg

14 people from out roll call fit with room to spare.

How was the wind while at sea? Did the front bow direct any wind above you if sitting in the chairs like a windscreen?

That these cabins, except when the ship is stopped at a pier will have a 20 to 40 mph min wind blowing directly on you.

When at anchor they will steer the bow into the wind and drop anchor... so again on of the windiest possible aspect of the ship are you sure you want that??

This is why we don't look at these. ;) It would be comparable to sitting outside on an upper deck not near the blocked areas. Altho on a hot weather cruise, the wind might feel cooling at first, I sort of get "irritated" after awhile and relocate. Things flying around. Dh would hate to try reading papers and magazines with the wind whistling by constantly while on our balcony. maybe you can move the chairs close to the ship to avoid the wind a bit..but then what's the advantage of the nice big space? It's a personal decision.

Edited by eandj

How was the wind while at sea? Did the front bow direct any wind above you if sitting in the chairs like a windscreen?

It depends ***** the speed of the ship and the direction of the wind. On one sea day the wind was strong, however, that day the Retreat Pool was also not usable because of the strong winds. The other sea days and most evenings the balcony was usable. This was in the Caribbean in March, I don't know about other itineraries.

It depends ***** the speed of the ship and the direction of the wind. On one sea day the wind was strong, however, that day the Retreat Pool was also not usable because of the strong winds. The other sea days and most evenings the balcony was usable. This was in the Caribbean in March, I don't know about other itineraries.

Your picture looks enviously great to me. :)

But yeh, I see you aren't at sea at that moment. That indeed might be a different picture.

Edited by eandj

We had cabin M104 on the 18 April Royal Princess cruise. We had no problem with the wind on any of the 7 days of the cruise. Guess it depends on the wind direction. The large balcony was much more comfortable than the ones we have had on Emerald Deck.

We were in L102 on the Regal Transatlantic last October. We just loved it! We have booked L101 on the Royal for the October Transatlantic in 2016.

For the money, you get a larger cabin with a loveseat and a wonderful balcony. We had one day that it was really windy and we didn't go out, but it was wonderful coming into ports and leaving, and we spent some relaxing time on the balcony. I hope everyone doesn't like them though, because we will be booking them going forward!! LOL

Here is a really great thread that will help answer pretty much any question you have about these cabins (specifically L101, which is identical to L102) from people who have actually stayed in them. There is also a YouTube video linked with a tour of the cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1977490

And a quote from another thread:

I just returned from 3 weeks aboard the Regal in forward facing balcony cabins. The first week was in L102, the next 2 weeks in L103. Both cabins were great although I preferred the balcony on L102. A bit less storage than I'm use to but doable. L102 had a third birth that dropped from the ceiling so an extra life vest was required and they took up all the closest shelf - no place for my sun hats. The rooms were comfortable. We seldom had any harsh wind on our balcony unless we stood at the rail. We sat out there most days/evenings for a while. A couple of nights it sounded a bit loud outside, but I could still go outside without being blown away. The noise was from some lines going from the top decks down to lower decks like the line that contains the necklace. There were at least 4 of lines plus a small amount of equipment over the bridge. It was white noise and did not keep us awake. Most of the time it was just really quiet out on the balcony and in the cabin. I would take one of these cabins again in a heartbeat.

Regarding the Marina Deck balconies: The Lido deck balconies can look down on the Marina deck balconies and see you if you are at the rail. No biggie in my opinion but be aware. Just at the rail. Also, M101 and M102 balconies are smaller than L101 and L102, see the picture posted by Dave above. And you can't see the noise making lines in the picture.

I do recall the vibration that Japap96 was talking about but it only lasted for a while until they dropped anchor at Princess Cays Feb. 2nd. The ship was using side thrusters to maintain position for lowering the life boats used as tenders. Once the anchor dropped the vibration pretty much stopped too. And I can't be sure, but the thrusters were probably all used on one side of the ship to maintain the position, not just the forward thrusters. We missed Princess Cays altogether on Jan 26th.

Wifi reception wasn't the best, usually just 2 of 3 things on my i-thingies. And sometimes not usable on the bed and never on the balcony.

We did have a few days of rough seas and I felt the boat move everywhere I was on the ship, but it is pretty stable so not really bad. It was much worse looking out the windows on deck 5 or 6.

Hope this helps.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959