Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

It's always great to have a couple of chances as it improves the odds . And here's hoping that you'll have weather as great as the scenery ! :) :D

Yes, hoping to get up the funicular and get some great shots but will only go up if the weather is suitable.:D

Scubacruiserx2,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review. I have the Silhouette booked in April. It will be my first cruise on Celebrity. Different ship than the one you were on, but similar; different itinerary, but similar, and some of the ports are the same.

Your pictures are incredible! I also enjoyed how you took quite awhile to finish it. I had something to look forward to many mornings.

Scubacruiserx2,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review. I have the Silhouette booked in April. It will be my first cruise on Celebrity. Different ship than the one you were on, but similar; different itinerary, but similar, and some of the ports are the same.

Your pictures are incredible! I also enjoyed how you took quite awhile to finish it. I had something to look forward to many mornings.

Wow Saudi Arabia . That must be an interesting place to live ! We have enjoyed both of our TA's with X , with a good mix of sea days and ports . And we're sure that you will enjoy your cruise also ! :) :D

I look forward to my morning quite time before our grandsons arrive (15 hour days) and DW wakes up . They keep us very busy during the summer . I'm a hunt and peck typist , and that further slows the review . But , at least the reviews move faster than home building ! We once built our own home doing 95 % of the work - and that took 14 months !! :eek:

Our flight to St. Petersburg took about 3 hours and was mostly uneventful . However , DW was unable to clear her ears well when landing and she experienced pain in one ear , during landing . We were both congested and coughing , and hoped to get some OTC medicine at the store , to help speed recovery . We were also both concerned entering passport control , after gathering our bags . This was our first visit to the new airport in SPB , and between the change in the political climate between the U.S. and Russia , and our sniffles and coughs , we were concerned that we may encounter some difficulty when entering Russia .

Unlike many countries , you enter Russian passport control one at a time instead of as a family group . Taking a deep breath , I went first . The pretty , uniformed , young lady took my passport and looked at the picture of me with dark hair , and then looked at me with my now salt and pepper hair ( mostly salt ) . I know that it's their job to stop the riff raft from entering their country but in my suspicious , paranoid mind , I felt like I was that riff raft . " How long will you be staying in Russia , where are you staying in Russia , will you be leaving St. Petersburg ? " , were all very valid questions . But because she was smiling now , I became more concerned . If you ask people who have only visited Russia on a cruise ship , I think that most of them would say that the immigration officers don't smile . " Welcome back to Russia " she said . " Are you traveling alone ? " , she continued , " No , my wife is just behind me " was my reply . The smile faded a bit and she said " just a moment " . After returning my passport she said , " Enjoy your stay in Russia , Next ". In my passport was my machine printed immigration card , a change from all our previous visits where you must hand print your card . Patty breezed through , and we were off to look for our guide and driver .

It was our first time using her , so we didn't know who to look for . But soon after finding our guide , Polina , we were off and running . For those who haven't been to Russia before , in general , Russians tend to walk very fast and drive very fast . But old Americans dragging luggage , tend to walk like they type - very slowly . Traffic was the worse that we have ever seen . It was rush hour and a coming holiday weekend , so the roads were clogged with many people going to the country for the weekend . Polina is a young lady about our children's age . She is a very good driver , stuck in a very challenging traffic jamb . And like our children , drives with one hand on the wheel and the other on her smart phone . I was a little concerned until she let out a laugh . " There are tanks moving down the road that is slowing traffic , they are about to turn off and we will be moving soon " . She had been monitoring the traffic with a real time app ! But as soon as we started moving , she was all business with both hands on the wheel .

We had requested a visit to the Piskarevskoe Memorial Cemetery , where very few , if any , tourists will ever go . It is a memorial to the 2 million people , mostly civilians , from Leningrad (SPB) who died during the 900 day blockade in WW II . It is also a mass graveyard to the about 500,000 people buried here . It was a grey , windy , rainy , cold and gloomy day . Our tour began with a stop at the small visitors center .

DSC03079_zps0jh1faks.jpg

There is a eternal flame at the front of the cemetery .

IMG_8027_zpsenc8cij8.jpg

It is about 300 meters from the flame to the statue . Along the way graves are mass marker by stones with the year and Red stars for the military and a hammer and sickle for civilians .

IMG_7992_zps36xzlojo.jpg

As you can see , many of the people were carrying flowers , in memorial . As we began the long walk , the funeral music and singing birds were a strange contrast in a surreal scene .

Drawing closer to the statue of mother Russia

IMG_7998_zpsfi5lziqb.jpg

IMG_8019_zpsqsikga51.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I am so interested in this part of your trip as we are considering a spring TA on Princess for 2017(hoping they offer the same route they are in 2016) which b2b's with a Baltic cruise to St. Pete and then back to Copenhagen where it ends....25 glorious nights!!!

So I'll be watching this part of your review closely for hints on what to do/where to go for the 2 days we would be in St. Petersburg!

I am so interested in this part of your trip as we are considering a spring TA on Princess for 2017(hoping they offer the same route they are in 2016) which b2b's with a Baltic cruise to St. Pete and then back to Copenhagen where it ends....25 glorious nights!!!

So I'll be watching this part of your review closely for hints on what to do/where to go for the 2 days we would be in St. Petersburg!

That sounds like a dream cruise ! Our first trip to Europe was a Baltic cruise on the NCL Dream in Sept . 2006 . We added an overnight stay in London post cruise . We then realized that SPB and London were our favorite stops and we wished that we would have spent more time there , when our hair was dark !

2d80ef72-7cc5-4843-8a60-ec9eba98d3e7_zps0anqq0jv.jpg

Our original plan for our first TA on the Connie in 2009 , was a B2B with the Baltic as a second leg . That plan morphed into jumping ship in SPB ( with the Captain's permission ) and staying in SPB , with a visa for a couple of nights . We would then rejoin the cruise in Copenhagen , and later , stay in London . And that plan changed into , a TA , but no Baltic cruise , a week in an apartment in SPB and 4 days in London . And that's what we did ! :) :D

That sounds like a dream cruise ! Our first trip to Europe was a Baltic cruise on the NCL Dream in Sept . 2006 . We added an overnight stay in London post cruise . We then realized that SPB and London were our favorite stops and we wished that we would have spent more time there , when our hair was dark !

2d80ef72-7cc5-4843-8a60-ec9eba98d3e7_zps0anqq0jv.jpg

Our original plan for our first TA on the Connie in 2009 , was a B2B with the Baltic as a second leg . That plan morphed into jumping ship in SPB ( with the Captain's permission ) and staying in SPB , with a visa for a couple of nights . We would then rejoin the cruise in Copenhagen , and later , stay in London . And that plan changed into , a TA , but no Baltic cruise , a week in an apartment in SPB and 4 days in London . And that's what we did ! :) :D

Ah...nice picture of you guys....so you've spent quite a bit of time in St.Petersburg!! How lucky!! After our visit to London this year it quickly became one of our favorite places too....but hasn't moved ahead of Rome yet!!! But will be happy to give it another try!! :)

Thoroughly enjoying your tremendous travelogue and glorious photographs Scubacruiserx2.

Can barely wait to pick up where I left off.

Have to book a Solstice Class soon, they are really gorgeous.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

If you enjoy the thread , it may be good news . We had hoped to finish it within 3 weeks , before we left for our next cruise . But it may run longer now . My wife slipped and fell yesterday , landing on her left Patella ( kneecap ) , breaking it into 3 pieces . :eek: We are getting ready to meet with the surgeon in an hour or two , and we fear that our trip may be in jeopardy. :( We'll update and continue when we return home .

If you enjoy the thread , it may be good news . We had hoped to finish it within 3 weeks , before we left for our next cruise . But it may run longer now . My wife slipped and fell yesterday , landing on her left Patella ( kneecap ) , breaking it into 3 pieces . :eek: We are getting ready to meet with the surgeon in an hour or two , and we fear that our trip may be in jeopardy. :( We'll update and continue when we return home .

Oh, how terrible, I hope they can get her repaired enough to make the trip...please let her know I'm thinking of her and wishing her a quick recovery.

I do hope that your wife recovers swiftly and that you can make your next trip.

I have loved your travelogue and look forward to your postings each morning. Having lived in the UK most of my life I hadn't heard about Woodhenge, just goes to prove that every day is a school day.

Debbie

Och no. I hope the surgeon will give her some good news.take care. All your 'cruise mates' are all thinking of you both.

Edited by Issyalex

I do hope that your wife recovers swiftly and that you can make your next trip.

I have loved your travelogue and look forward to your postings each morning. Having lived in the UK most of my life I hadn't heard about Woodhenge, just goes to prove that every day is a school day.

Debbie

Me too , but having met with surgeon today , the trip is off and the surgery is on . We were happy to get that little bonus surprise of visiting Woodhenge . With so many places to see and things to do , it's easy to miss things nearby sometimes . Some of the places that I now visit regularly , and love to spend time at , were unknown to me until visitors pointed them out to us . Thanks for posting , and let's try to get this tour back on track . ;)

Thank you so much for the review. I really enjoy it.

Now I just need to patiently wait for my TA in November next year :eek:

You're welcome , and thanks for sharing that sentiment . It's a long time , but well worth the wait . Perhaps some free time to consider post cruise plans - if possible .

Thoroughly enjoying your tremendous travelogue and glorious photographs Scubacruiserx2.

Can barely wait to pick up where I left off.

Have to book a Solstice Class soon, they are really gorgeous.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan , the Solstice Class are really nice . Perhaps a Caribbean ? They have some good prices on the Eclipse before the years end .

I feel moved just from looking at the memorial pictures as they really do tell a thousand words. War is such a waste.

Boy , that's for sure . Being in SPB for Victory Day strangely reminded me of my baby boomer , childhood days in the 50's , when our country used to really celebrate the end of WW II . But in the big picture , the number civilian causalities in SPB exceeded the total number of American military lives lost . :( :(

The day before Victory day was both somber and sobering .

IMG_8025_zps4xofhwnc.jpg

In addition to artillery shelling , and bombing , the primary aim of the blockade was to starve the people of Leningrad . As cruise ship passengers , it's hard to imagine not eating , but it may be better considered through the printed description and some art work .

6f84c0ce-1c4a-46ce-9e09-f65ff0345572_zpspspjyrdy.jpg

28ff9b1a-24a4-4b5d-8748-88e9a05c120e_zpsmovnuaxa.jpg

Even though the residents are now well nourished now , you can see the remembrance etched on some faces .

IMG_8016_zpssdopd9r9.jpg

And current desire to capture the moment

IMG_7997_zpsjah5hfcy.jpg

For all future visitors to SPB : We are trying to interject some history as well as showing the sights that you may care to visit . After our first visit , we felt somewhat surprised and overwhelmed , so we hope to help prepare those going in the future . Our next stop was at a soggy Palace Square where we would pick up our SPB cards .

IMG_8030_zpso4es6e5t.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Oh no, how devastating.:(