How to pack medication

I pack my medication and my travel meds (incase I need them) in orginal packaging and put them all in a medium sized zip lock bag. Not once have I ever had a problem or have to show them at the airport or the cruise port

I hate to admit this but I am a medical mess :( That being said I take way too many pills for someone my age.

I fill up (2) week supply in Sun - Sat daily containers. I keep all my pills, insulin and needles and stuff in a lil pouch I bought on Amazon.

When I went thru security in San Juan, after the cruise, they were asking for ppl to have out their laptops, shoes, etc... and ALL MEDICATION. I thought it was odd since they didn't ask when I left IL but I pulled out my pouch from my carry-on and they looked at the bottles and checked a couple to make sure my name (and my DH name) matched our ID.

I don't know if this is normal for that airport or not, I am just glad I brought the pouch with me!!

I carry 1 or 2 weeks of meds taken 4 X perday (I am a transplant recipient) and have never been questioned about any of my meds except the liquid Nystatin I carry, I carry everything in a weekly container divided into 4 bins per day and I print out my meds list keeping it with the pills. The other pills (pain meds etc) I keep separate in their bottles or a travel container as I do not want to be stopped for controlled substance without a prescription. Never had any issue but I ALWAYS carry with me (Never ever check them)

As someone said, you can have smaller bottles labeled for you at the pharmacy, so you don't have to bring a lot of extra pills.

At least take a list of what you're taking. Many people don't know what they are on by prescription name. They call it a 'pressure pill' or 'something for my back'. Just makes things easier if anything goes wrong.

I would always carry controlled drugs/pain medications in a labeled container.

Though it will probably never come up, most states require the original prescription bottle. Drugs that are prescription only or are controlled substances may NOT be possessed without a valid prescription. The bottle is your evidence of a valid prescription. Further, it is perfectly legal for you to be detained or arrested for Possession of a Dangerous Drug or Possession of a Controlled Substance if you are stopped and do not have the bottles. I had a lady that came to my pharmacy all the time that was stopped, detained and taken to the city jail before they called us to verify her prescriptions.

If you don't want to take the full bottle ask the pharmacy for a travel bottle.

Care to show us where to find the laws for all of the states?

I've only ever read of it in FL, and that's still only narcotics.

If states require that drugs are in prescription bottles, how on earth can any pharmacy sell a travel box for drugs, or the daily/weekly boxes?

I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but I do know this. The prisons of the world are not filled with people who didn't travel with their medications in their original prescription bottles.

Agreed.

Not true at all, my DH has been stopped multiple times for additional screening at different airports and has had his med bag pulled each time. This is what the TSA website says:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/what-expect-if-passenger-needs-medication

Having the meds in their original bottles has saved him a lot of time. One TSA agent told him it was a good thing he had the bottles as this could have taken a lot longer if you hadn't. People will say to tell them they can't touch them and to call a police officer, but that will just make you miss your connection. Even if he did ask for a policeman, certain states require meds to be in original containers. Not worth the hassle when traveling sometimes weekly for work, original containers it is.

Have you ever wondered if he's being stopped BECAUSE of the multiple, full-sized, bottles of medications he has in his bag?

"I remember one thread a couple of years back where an actual pharmacist, whose license to make a living depends on knowing the laws..."

Gracious. Pharmacists have enough on their plates to save us from the doctors prescribing us inappropriate things that don't work together. I don't want them to have to work out all the ever-changing laws for each state! Talk about being out of the scope of their practice, IMO.

My friend had a liver transplant. Massive box of drugs. Decants it all into her weekly/monthly boxes when she travels internationally, even to Central America.

DH used to (and might again, sigh) take an injectable drug that men very rarely take. (HCG) The only ONLY place he has ever had an issue with it is when he went to Australia, where it is illegal to have it until you have a prescription for it. Since we had looked that up and since it's a vial in a box that has the label on it, that was no problem. He told them about it, they looked at the label, it was all good.

So know if a drug you're taking is illegal and for what reason, and comply with the extra requirements for that, but other than that...

If states require that drugs are in prescription bottles, how on earth can any pharmacy sell a travel box for drugs, or the daily/weekly boxes?

Not that I am responsible for any other person's research, but here you go:

Texas Health and Safety Code, Title 6, Subtitle C, Chapter 483:

SUBCHAPTER C. CRIMINAL PENALTIES

Sec. 483.041. POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS DRUG. (a) A person commits an offense if the person possesses a dangerous drug unless the person obtains the drug from a pharmacist acting in the manner described by Section 483.042(a)(1) or a practitioner acting in the manner described by Section 483.042(a)(2).

(b) Except as permitted by this chapter, a person commits an offense if the person possesses a dangerous drug for the purpose of selling the drug.

© Subsection (a) does not apply to the possession of a dangerous drug in the usual course of business or practice or in the performance of official duties by the following persons or an agent or employee of the person:

(1) a pharmacy licensed by the board;

(2) a practitioner;

(3) a person who obtains a dangerous drug for lawful research, teaching, or testing, but not for resale;

(4) a hospital that obtains a dangerous drug for lawful administration by a practitioner;

(5) an officer or employee of the federal, state, or local government;

(6) a manufacturer or wholesaler licensed by the Department of State Health Services under Chapter 431 (Texas Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act);

(7) a carrier or warehouseman;

(8) a home and community support services agency licensed under and acting in accordance with Chapter 142;

(9) a licensed midwife who obtains oxygen for administration to a mother or newborn or who obtains a dangerous drug for the administration of prophylaxis to a newborn for the prevention of ophthalmia neonatorum in accordance with Section 203.353, Occupations Code;

(10) a salvage broker or salvage operator licensed under Chapter 432; or

(11) a certified laser hair removal professional under Subchapter M, Chapter 401, who possesses and uses a laser or pulsed light device approved by and registered with the department and in compliance with department rules for the sole purpose of cosmetic nonablative hair removal.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

Further the law says that on delivery (sale by the pharmacy) the drug must be in a container meeting certain requirements, failure to do so is also a criminal offense (felony).

Sec. 483.042. DELIVERY OR OFFER OF DELIVERY OF DANGEROUS DRUG. (a) A person commits an offense if the person delivers or offers to deliver a dangerous drug:

(1) unless:

(A) the dangerous drug is delivered or offered for delivery by a pharmacist under:

(i) a prescription issued by a practitioner described by Section 483.001(12)(A) or (B);

(ii) a prescription signed by a registered nurse or physician assistant in accordance with Subchapter B, Chapter 157, Occupations Code; or

(iii) an original written prescription issued by a practitioner described by Section 483.001(12)©; and

(B) a label is attached to the immediate container in which the drug is delivered or offered to be delivered and the label contains the following information:

(i) the name and address of the pharmacy from which the drug is delivered or offered for delivery;

(ii) the date the prescription for the drug is dispensed;

(iii) the number of the prescription as filed in the prescription files of the pharmacy from which the prescription is dispensed;

(iv) the name of the practitioner who prescribed the drug and, if applicable, the name of the registered nurse or physician assistant who signed the prescription;

(v) the name of the patient and, if the drug is prescribed for an animal, a statement of the species of the animal; and

(vi) directions for the use of the drug as contained in the prescription; or

(2) unless:

(A) the dangerous drug is delivered or offered for delivery by:

(i) a practitioner in the course of practice; or

(ii) a registered nurse or physician assistant in the course of practice in accordance with Subchapter B, Chapter 157, Occupations Code; and

(B) a label is attached to the immediate container in which the drug is delivered or offered to be delivered and the label contains the following information:

(i) the name and address of the practitioner who prescribed the drug, and if applicable, the name and address of the registered nurse or physician assistant;

(ii) the date the drug is delivered;

(iii) the name of the patient and, if the drug is prescribed for an animal, a statement of the species of the animal; and

(iv) the name of the drug, the strength of the drug, and directions for the use of the drug.

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to the delivery or offer for delivery of a dangerous drug to a person listed in Section 483.041© for use in the usual course of business or practice or in the performance of official duties by the person.

© Proof of an offer to sell a dangerous drug must be corroborated by a person other than the offeree or by evidence other than a statement by the offeree.

(d) An offense under this section is a state jail felony.

(e) The labeling provisions of Subsection (a) do not apply to a dangerous drug prescribed or dispensed for administration to a patient who is institutionalized. The board shall adopt rules for the labeling of such a drug.

Just because you have never had the problem, nor run into it does not mean it does not exist. This is why licensed pharmacy personnel (like me) have to take law classes and continuing education during every renewal cycle.

Edited by JasonTehGreat

Also, pharmacies do not sell the weekly planners with medications in them. If you violate the law that's your business. Pharmacies do tell patients that if they have a weekly planner they need to have the original bottles with them when they travel. I have had that very discussion with hundreds of patients in the various pharmacies I have worked at.

Also, adhering to Pharmacy law is an absolute duty of the Pharmacist and Pharmacy Technicians. If a prescription is dispensed in one state and it's packaging is legal in that state then the packaging is legal in states the person travels to with that medication. In Texas, for instance, it would be a felony for me to put a medication and sell it to a patient without being in the proper package. (see above)

This is the major problem with boards such as this:

A question is asked which may require even a slight knowledge of Pharmacy law and people respond, reasonably.

Then people come on and tell others, with knowledge of the situation, that they are wrong and use personal anecdotes to try and convince someone to ignore the proper and valid responses and to potentially break the law.