How to pack medication

We are going on the Adventure out of PR in September, and my Mom and sis both have quite a bit of medication they have to take with them. My question is, should they leave the pills on the prescription bottles, or can they put them in small baggies to save room? My mom also likes to organize her vitamins in little bags to make it easy for her to keep track of what to take each day. Would this be ok? Thanks for any input.

I don't like to haul full-size prescription bottles with me, so I pack in smaller ones that aren't necessarily marked with their contents. I do, however, carry a printout of my prescriptions that comes with my refills so at least I have some documentation of what I'm carrying. I've never had anyone question what I have with me, though.

We are going on the Adventure out of PR in September, and my Mom and sis both have quite a bit of medication they have to take with them. My question is, should they leave the pills on the prescription bottles, or can they put them in small baggies to save room? My mom also likes to organize her vitamins in little bags to make it easy for her to keep track of what to take each day. Would this be ok? Thanks for any input.

We pack in original prescription bottles.

I pack all my medications in a pill case that shows me what pills I take on what day of the week, and never had any problems. We usually book longer cruises and some of the medications I don't take every day so I put a piece of tape on the case with the days I do take it marked. Make sure you bring your medications in your carryon in case you luggage is lost.

Unless your suitcase is filled to the brim with pills no one will question your medications. There is no TSA in this country that is trained to match what you have in a prescription bottle to what should actually be there. A prescription bottle is no proof of anything.

RCI could care less. Pack your medications the way that suits you.

Unless your suitcase is filled to the brim with pills no one will question your medications. There is no TSA in this country that is trained to match what you have in a prescription bottle to what should actually be there. A prescription bottle is no proof of anything.

RCI could care less. Pack your medications the way that suits you.

Not true at all, my DH has been stopped multiple times for additional screening at different airports and has had his med bag pulled each time. This is what the TSA website says:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/what-expect-if-passenger-needs-medication

Having the meds in their original bottles has saved him a lot of time. One TSA agent told him it was a good thing he had the bottles as this could have taken a lot longer if you hadn't. People will say to tell them they can't touch them and to call a police officer, but that will just make you miss your connection. Even if he did ask for a policeman, certain states require meds to be in original containers. Not worth the hassle when traveling sometimes weekly for work, original containers it is.

A lot of pharmacies will pack medications in blister packs that are clearly labelled with three or four spaces for the times each day you have to take them. I would think that may be the easiest thing. (it may cost a little more but probably worth the cost)

Just Google "Prescription Blister Packs" and look under "images". I tried to post picture of one on here but I can't figure it out.......might be more convenient and TSA/customs compliant?

TSA has looked at ours before.....

Edited by Shih-tzu
Added sentence

Anyway you want...no ones cares about your Rx's. If you take regular stuff (not narcotics), you can pack them in "daily planners" or zip-loc bags, or all in one bottle....no one cares.

Edited by cb at sea

Not true at all, my DH has been stopped multiple times for additional screening at different airports and has had his med bag pulled each time. This is what the TSA website says:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/what-expect-if-passenger-needs-medication

Having the meds in their original bottles has saved him a lot of time. One TSA agent told him it was a good thing he had the bottles as this could have taken a lot longer if you hadn't. People will say to tell them they can't touch them and to call a police officer, but that will just make you miss your connection. Even if he did ask for a policeman, certain states require meds to be in original containers. Not worth the hassle when traveling sometimes weekly for work, original containers it is.

Did you actually read the web page you cited?

"TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles,"

Again a TSA agent (or any police officer) is not trained to know if the medication in a prescription bottle matches the prescription. Sounds to me like the government just wants to randomly hassle passengers. TSA is not a state agency.

Even if the TSA looked at the PDR, useless you are carrying the original prescription most generics are not in the PDR.

Are these liquid prescriptions?

It would seem, from the replies here, the most safe approach would be to carry the meds in their prescription labeled containers. That's what I do (with one exception) and have not been questioned but would really, really hate to miss a flight or get jammed up by ship's security people over medications that were not properly labeled and id'd. But that's just cautious me and this kind of input is what the OP asked for.

Other than "can I wear shorts in the MDR", this seems to be the most debated topic on Cruise Critic! I remember one thread a couple of years back where an actual pharmacist, whose license to make a living depends on knowing the laws, was shouted down repeatedly on a similar thread.

1) The U.S State Department recommends keeping all prescription drugs in their original containers for international travel. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/checklist.html

2) The DEA, CBDP, and state governments (within the US) regulate transportation of pharmaceuticals. The TSA only cares if there's too much liquid, and they probably should call over someone if your suitcase looks like a CVS.

3) All bets are off overseas. If, for instance, you're traveling with a narcotic analgesic or a benzodiazapene tranquilizer (valium), or any other scheduled substance, I'd keep it in it's original container, and if you're going anywhere other than a U.S. territory, check the State Department web page for any restrictions.

I do routinely make short overseas trips to Europe, and routinely keep pills in a multi-day carrier, but I also recognize the theoretical risk in doing so. I would not do the same to any number of nations with a zero tolerance drug policy. And, although not a pharmacy license, I do have a license to practice a medical discipline, which would put me in a class who couldn't well claim ignorance of the law.

Did you actually read the web page you cited?

"TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles,"

Again a TSA agent (or any police officer) is not trained to know if the medication in a prescription bottle matches the prescription. Sounds to me like the government just wants to randomly hassle passengers. TSA is not a state agency.

Even if the TSA looked at the PDR, useless you are carrying the original prescription most generics are not in the PDR.

Are these liquid prescriptions?

Yes, I read the link. Here is the complete sentence that you partially quoted:

TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

You posted "no one will question your medications", that is just not true. There are many threads in the ask a cruise question forum posted by people asking about meds and people always post, no one cares. Many others post about experiences with TSA looking at bottles and even dumping pills into a pile to examine. Whether they are just trying to hassle people is irrelevant when you are trying to catch a connection, they do stop people. Having them in the original bottles causes less hassle from our experiences. It has been suggested on cruise critic, by a law enforcement officer, to have TSA call a police officer if there is a question with medications, this will also cause someone to be delayed.

We will continue to carry prescription bottles, especially when leaving the country, you do what you are comfortable with, but people do get stopped with less than a suitcase full of medication.

I refill by on- line request but each RX comes with a print out that matches the label on the bottle. I take this label and tape it with clear packing tape to a snack bag size zip lock bag. Count out enough pills for trip plus a few extra. Each week I fill my reminder cases with my pills for the week. These weekly cases go in a bright pink polka dot makeup bag that shouts don't forget me. I also ask my Dr to print out the record of my prescriptions from my medical record and to sign and date. If I have to see a Dr. The official record is there. Works perfectly! Never a problem in traveling to over 75 countries in the last 20 years. A last tip. Put a strong rubber band over each weekly container so they don't spill out and put all the snack bags together in a plastic zip bag for protection from moisture. Good luck

My husband is on lots of medicine including insulin which requires syringes...

We pre pour all of his meds in the the weekly med container... I place a sm. piece of tape on them just in case in opens.. also put it a ziploc bag just in case.. will tell the them we have syringes as well

I do carry on all the meds as well.

We use the CVS small pill zip lock bags.

Peel the label off the medicine bottle and apply to the zip bag. Count out the pills needed and put them into the zip lock.

Other than a hard bottle, it is all the same as being in the original container.

Takes up a ton less room!!

Costco prints off all our meds when we get a refill and we take that list with us.

It depends where I'm travelling really.

If it's in Western Europe I'll keep all my pills in one of those daily pill sorters (MT***SS) but if I'm travelling to places like the USA, UAE, Eastern Europe etc, where my European Health Insurance doesn't cover and customs are known for being difficult I'll always leave them in the original bottle.

Last thing I need is being stuck thousands of miles away and having my life saving medication confiscated just because I didn't want to carry a pill bottle.

Another handy thing to have with you is a print out of your prescription, or a doctor's letter (with contact details for them on it) detailing your medication - should you lose it you can get it reissued at a pharmacy/hospital.

Never put your medication in your hold luggage, always have it in your hand-luggage. You're a lot less likely to lose your satchel or purse than an airline or cruiseline is to lose your baggage. If it's essential life saving medication like mine I put a bottle in my hold luggage AND my hand baggage to be doubly safe.

Thanks everybody for the quick and helpful replies. For her painkillers we will probably keep in the prescription bottles, and the rest just in ziploc bags or a pill planner. Steveru621they are all in pill form.

I thought of this too a few weeks ago and had dh go to pharmacy and ask for smaller bottles with prescriptions on them . No pills . They ask why and he told them to save space. They said they had never thought of that but would do it on their next vacation! CVS gave him the bottles labeled FREE.

Since Mom and Sis both describe themselves as "walking pharmacies" we'll rethink our original plan and put prescription meds in original containers, along with a dr's signed list of prescriptions. I'm not sure if either one has any narcotics, if so, we will be very cautious in transporting them, and again, have the dr's note handy. I have been very adamant with them about making sure their medications are in their handbags or carry on, to make sure the don't get misplaced. We don't want ANY mishaps regarding their medicine raising questions, so we will try to stick by the rules and make sure everything is clealrly marked.

It is not difficult to carry the originals. Why chance dealing with some jerk on a power struggle.

As said, the TSA does not require it. By the way, the TSA does not require an ID either, but are ready for the hassle when you try to fly without it? Nope.

For your own safety, at least take a copy of the meds, or take a picture of each bottle. If you have a medical emergency, the first thing they ask is what medicine are you taking.

And, for heavens sake, carry pills ONLY in your carryon.

Though it will probably never come up, most states require the original prescription bottle. Drugs that are prescription only or are controlled substances may NOT be possessed without a valid prescription. The bottle is your evidence of a valid prescription. Further, it is perfectly legal for you to be detained or arrested for Possession of a Dangerous Drug or Possession of a Controlled Substance if you are stopped and do not have the bottles. I had a lady that came to my pharmacy all the time that was stopped, detained and taken to the city jail before they called us to verify her prescriptions.

If you don't want to take the full bottle ask the pharmacy for a travel bottle.

I hate to admit this but I am a medical mess :( That being said I take way too many pills for someone my age.

I fill up (2) week supply in Sun - Sat daily containers. I keep all my pills, insulin and needles and stuff in a lil pouch I bought on Amazon.

When I went thru security in San Juan, after the cruise, they were asking for ppl to have out their laptops, shoes, etc... and ALL MEDICATION. I thought it was odd since they didn't ask when I left IL but I pulled out my pouch from my carry-on and they looked at the bottles and checked a couple to make sure my name (and my DH name) matched our ID.

I don't know if this is normal for that airport or not, I am just glad I brought the pouch with me!!