Majesty 3 Day Questions

Hello,

I was just doing some cruise browsing, and wow. $340 per person AFTER taxes for a 3 night cruise on Majesty, over Easter. I was planning on taking a short Bahamas cruise with my aunt who lives in Georgia sometime soon. Our plans for this summer got shot, so we decided that March 2016 would be a good time. This date will allow her work schedule and my baby (not so baby anymore!) cousin to hop on too. I have a few questions about Majesty and CocoCay, so if anyone has any answers, they would be greatly appreciated!

1) I have no problems with age of a ship. I think ships that are meant to last. But my aunt has never cruised before. I want her to enjoy the experience, as she is 6 hours from Miami, 5.5 from Fort Lauderdale, 5 from Tampa and 4.5 from Port Canaveral. That's one of the reasons I want to choose Royal. But the question here is, will her age effect their overall enjoyment of the cruise? Does she lack things that even a first-timer would expect?

2) I cruises Royal once for 7 nights on the Enchantment from Baltimore. Terrible cruise, Hurricane Sandy ruined it, and my experience on Royal. That was until my ignorant self logged onto Cruise Critic and realized that that cruise is not how an RCI cruise should run. So I want to try again. That would give me 10 nights in the Loyalty program. I forgot the name of the tier, but it says something about a returning guest party. Carnival doesn't do these on cruises shorter than 4 days. Does Royal? Also, will I be able to bring them with me as first-timers?

3) What are the bathrooms like? I had an OV on Enchantment and it was HORRIFIC, everything was plastic, and super small. Two weeks after I got off, I think they remodeled them all with tile and whatnot. What about Majesty?

4) In the event that my uncle decides that he doesn't want to go (cruised a long time ago, didn't like it too much, said he would think about trying it again), that will leave 3 people in one room. I heard that Majesty's room sizes are super small. Should I try my hardest to make sure that there is an even number of people in the group? It won't be hard finding one of my other cousins.

5) What did Majesty receive in her Drydock this year?

6) Are the all day snorkel passes for CocoCay worth it? What is the snorkeling like on the island?

7) Any non-beach ideas from CocoCay? Watersports are fine, but my Aunt works at a beach all day on Tybee Island, and has no want to go sit on one in the Bahamas.

8) How much does parking cost at the Port of Miami? Are there any good offsite parking or park-and-cruise deals? Also, how does embarkation and debarkation go in the RCI terminal in Miami?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! I hope this means I can bring a new cruiser into the world of cruising, and I can get back on a Royal Caribbean ship!

Happy Cruising! :D

Edited by cruisexlife

Hello,

Just off the Majesty 3 day yesterday, so I can answer some of the questions for you

Hello,

I was just doing some cruise browsing, and wow. $340 per person AFTER taxes for a 3 night cruise on Majesty, over Easter. I was planning on taking a short Bahamas cruise with my aunt who lives in Georgia sometime soon. Our plans for this summer got shot, so we decided that March 2016 would be a good time. This date will allow her work schedule and my baby (not so baby anymore!) cousin to hop on too. I have a few questions about Majesty and CocoCay, so if anyone has any answers, they would be greatly appreciated!

1) I have no problems with age of a ship. I think ships that are meant to last. But my aunt has never cruised before. I want her to enjoy the experience, as she is 6 hours from Miami, 5.5 from Fort Lauderdale, 5 from Tampa and 4.5 from Port Canaveral. That's one of the reasons I want to choose Royal. But the question here is, will her age effect their overall enjoyment of the cruise? Does she lack things that even a first-timer would expect?

It would depend on what you are looking for. The Majesty doesn't have any bells and whistles that other classes have. Majesty has 2 pools, 2 hot tubs, the rock wall, and basketball. That's about it. However, I found it in good condition and the staff was very friendly.

2) I cruises Royal once for 7 nights on the Enchantment from Baltimore. Terrible cruise, Hurricane Sandy ruined it, and my experience on Royal. That was until my ignorant self logged onto Cruise Critic and realized that that cruise is not how an RCI cruise should run. So I want to try again. That would give me 10 nights in the Loyalty program. I forgot the name of the tier, but it says something about a returning guest party. Carnival doesn't do these on cruises shorter than 4 days. Does Royal? Also, will I be able to bring them with me as first-timers?

On cruises 5 or less nights, royal caribbean doesn't do welcome back parties for Gold members (Which you would be at the time of the sailing). They do a Top Tier party for Platinum members and above (However that was cancelled on our sailing).

3) What are the bathrooms like? I had an OV on Enchantment and it was HORRIFIC, everything was plastic, and super small. Two weeks after I got off, I think they remodeled them all with tile and whatnot. What about Majesty?

On Majesty, the rooms are smaller than Enchantment, and most of the bathrooms are similar to what you had on Enchantment.

4) In the event that my uncle decides that he doesn't want to go (cruised a long time ago, didn't like it too much, said he would think about trying it again), that will leave 3 people in one room. I heard that Majesty's room sizes are super small. Should I try my hardest to make sure that there is an even number of people in the group? It won't be hard finding one of my other cousins.

Majesty's rooms are quite small. I can't imagine putting 3 adults in the room.

5) What did Majesty receive in her Drydock this year?

This year's drydock was primarily mechanical. Really the only thing passengers will see is some new carpet.

6) Are the all day snorkel passes for CocoCay worth it? What is the snorkeling like on the island?

I haven't snorkeled on CoCo Cay

7) Any non-beach ideas from CocoCay? Watersports are fine, but my Aunt works at a beach all day on Tybee Island, and has no want to go sit on one in the Bahamas.

Really, CoCo Cay is a beach stop. Yes there are some watersports (Listed in the Excursions) but pretty much everything is about the beach.

8) How much does parking cost at the Port of Miami? Are there any good offsite parking or park-and-cruise deals? Also, how does embarkation and debarkation go in the RCI terminal in Miami?

I can't really help with parking as I flew in and out. But Embarkation started at about 10:30-11, and debarkation went smoothly.

Just a few notes: Majesty is a 23year old smaller ship. The crew was fantastic, but again it's a 23 year old ship and There aren't the things that the other larger ships have. HOWEVER, if you are just looking for a nice weekend getaway it is a great time!

Edited by Firefighterhoop

Your date is in kind of an akward spot for the Majesty- it's getting "retired" to Pulmantur a month after you sail on her.

IMHO, it does have good enough stuff for beginners- main dining only (there's a chef's table and a mexican place, but IMHO, they don't count for dinner). And for that, *mostly* first or second seating- not much MTD available. Still the service we had was quite good this past weekend. Her age more shows was the mega ships were back in 1991, when she was being built. (back then, these were the BIG ships of the world)

You are Gold level at RCI- and I would not expect much in terms of repeat features for this cruise- we were kind of surprised of the lack of repeat cruiser events. Back in Feb there were some, but none this past weekned. IF there is, there's a welcome back party- and as long as you have your invitiation, they don't check everyone. Go, have fun, listen, have a few glasses of cheap wine, and smile. :)

All but the JR suites and up have tiny bathrooms. Really tiny. Not much can be done about that. If you can swing a JR Suite- it's a full bathroom with a tub. (and it sleeps 3 a WHOLE lot more comfortably) I'd check the deals for 3rd and 4th passengers to see if that will give you a more comfortable deal.

The rooms are small. Again, this was about the mega ships 25 years ago. But now, not so much. See above about Junior Suites- they even sleep 4.

We've sailed on Majesty a few times over the past few years, and really didn't notice major changes from the dry dock- I think she's more preparing to leave the RCI fleet.

We do some basic relaxing stuff on Coco Cay- so can't help much there.

Do they load the 3 drink vouchers onto your seapass card or do they just have a nightly diamond event with 25% off drinks, free beer, wine, champs?? Or perhaps both of the above?? Is there a room set up to go to for the above discount?? What hours was it held??

Thanks for your reply.

Your setting your self up for disaster on this one. Your actually considering going on this ship 2 months before it leaves royal Caribbean ? This is the oldest ship in the fleet and has the an "enclosed" feeling. (Like being trapped) IMHO. If you have to cruise at this time I would jump on NCL SKY since drinks will be free next year. If you can cruise later on the enchantment is a much better option that starts from early May!

We've been on Majesty (and her identical twin sister Monarch) 15+ times. Never have felt "trapped" or "enclosed". No, she will never be a "disaster" for you. Have sailed on Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Voyager, etc. Have enjoyed Majesty just as much. Her smaller size is a positive, you get to know a lot of crew, staff, other guests. Most friendly ship on the high seas. That doesn't happen on the mega ships.

Sea if you can get a Junior Suite. Big enough for 3-4 people. Enjoy Majesty! We always have!

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

Do they load the 3 drink vouchers onto your seapass card or do they just have a nightly diamond event with 25% off drinks, free beer, wine, champs?? Or perhaps both of the above?? Is there a room set up to go to for the above discount?? What hours was it held??

Thanks for your reply.

3 On Seapass plus unlimited beer, wine, and same cocktails as other Diamond Lounges up in the Viking Crown Lounge. No charges.

All I'm trying to say is the majesty of the seas is a step down from the enchantment. If you had a poor experience on that I wouldn't step down classes I would simple look elsewhere for the time and days you have available. NCL has the newest ship in the quick 3 day trips from Miami.

LMaxwell.....when did this change? I thought on this ship having no DL/CL you only had the Diamond Evening Event with discounts on liquor. I knew about the free beer, wine etc.

I like what you said! I would be happy with the 3 vouchers and the free wine! DH needs the vodka!

All I'm trying to say is the majesty of the seas is a step down from the enchantment. If you had a poor experience on that I wouldn't step down classes I would simple look elsewhere for the time and days you have available. NCL has the newest ship in the quick 3 day trips from Miami.

We've been on EN several times also. She does have lots more to offer than MJ, no doubt. We love both ships. And having been on SKY in 2003, we are trying her again this July!

Rick and Deirdra

I have always loved Her Majesty....and her crew and staff make up for what the ship herself lacks. Will it give some of your fellow cruisers a "WOW" experience, probably not -- can it be a good weekend away, YES it can be.

We wished we were able to go on Her Majesty's final cruise in April 2016, but we can't so instead, we are cruising on her in February 2016, when it is convenient for us. During March and April 2016, I imagine there will be plenty of people 'very nostalgic' over Her Majesty leaving the fleet -- will that negatively impact your cruise -- not in the least. The staff will make every cruise as interesting as possible, food will be as it usually is....but the cabins are small, and the bathrooms are as well.

When we take our final cruise on Her Majesty, we have a JS booked, simply for the little bit of space and luxury we can have on our last cruise on her. We have usually sailed in a Superior Ocean View cabin on Deck 9, because they are a little bigger than other cabins.

Do what is good for you....I will never say, Her Majesty, will not give a cruiser a GOOD cruise.....now it depends upon what you expect from her. You can't expect to have the same kind of cruise her big and bigger sisters can give.

I've been on Majesty twice, and Sky twice, and both ships were nice. I would never consider sailing on Majesty a disaster by any means though. I will let you know though, that 3 adults in one oceanview room is going to be a nightmare. Majesty is known for having the smallest cabins, and you really do feel cramped, compared to the size of the rooms on the larger ships.

Enchantment adds $200 per person, and $550 for 3 days before parking is not an attractive price. For that kind of money, I would rather not go and save it and go on a 7 night cruise later on. I only really like Majesty for the price.

LMaxwell.....when did this change? I thought on this ship having no DL/CL you only had the Diamond Evening Event with discounts on liquor. I knew about the free beer, wine etc.

I like what you said! I would be happy with the 3 vouchers and the free wine! DH needs the vodka!

I can't tell you the date, but we were on her this past weekend, and it was "both" as LMaxwell pointed out. We had some stuff for the Diamond event (which it's more than the old "Event", but that means more than wine and nuts), and then had a drink in the theater.

Nice to have both.

Except that it sounds like the problem was more about the weather and less about the ship.

While I fully agree that the Enchantment is a nicer ship, I would not say that the Majesty is inviting disaster. We were just on her, and are planning to sail on her in January over a weekend.

One thing that we prefer the Majesty over the EN at the moment is the live Latin bands that the Majesty has and the Enchantment won't get until she's ported in Miami.

Also- since we fly in, Miami is much nicer than Orlando + the drive. Actually Ft. Lauderale is nicer which takes out the drive as a difference.

Everyone has their preferences.

Agreed. Much nicer ship.

Ditto.

Much better parking at Port Canaveral both on and off site. Enchantment leaving PC has many regulars upset as she will not be replaced until November 16.

Give her another chance. Great crew and officers!!!

I do agree, 3 in one cabin is not a good idea. If you cannot swing a Jrsuite, I would look for one of the handicapped accessible superior ocean views on deck nine. We have sailed twice on Majesty, for our honeymoon in 94, and again for the 4 night itinerary that includes Key West. Loved that itinerary, and if we could swing the days off, I would absolutely do that itinerary again.

For a quick 3 day cruise, you cannot beat her. Yes, she is older, but has a wonderful crew, who will go out of their way to make your cruise outstanding. I have been looking at the Enchantment, however the extra $400 for the weekend plus a 45 min drive from Orlando, really makes it hard to opt. For Port Canaveral. I am sure we will most likely cruise with her after majesty leaves the fleet and Enchantment takes her place in Miami. Which will be a very bittersweet day, since she was our first cruise, and our honeymoon.

Lastly, I would not recommend the Sky, unless the price is especially attractive. I would take Majesty any day over the Sky. The crew and dining cannot hold a candle to her.

Good luck! :)

I sail her a lot, so I'm probably biased. I think she has the nicest crew at sea and she will be missed after next April.

The reality is that the cabins are very small unless you get an SO or above, and it does not have all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships. But it's 3 days, not 7, and there's plenty to do. Cococay has the jet skis and certainly lots of other things to do besides laying on the beach.

I've been on Enchantment and she did not do a lot for me. But everyone has what they like. But if you can swing the extra day, there a are a lot of 4 day Thursday to Monday options on the much newer and larger ships.

Have fun no matter what you decide!