lost luggage

We heard a crazy story on our recent cruise. We met a gentleman who got his suitcase delivered to his cabin. When he opened it it wasn't his belongings. He took the wrong bag off the airport carousel. This was a TA so he had no clothes for 7 days. Be sure to check if the suitcase is yours.

Edited by artvlay

Not lost, exactly. Due to a delayed connection our bags didn't make it on a flight from LA to Auckland. That was the cruise where I learned to 1) cross pack and 2) carry on enough to last the week or so if necessary. It took two days for the first bag to catch up with us ... DH's clothes. Mine made it on the third day. We actually were sitting on our balcony when we saw a taxi pull up and saw the driver took it out of the trunk.

I have to give Southwest Airlines, New Zealand Air and Princess credit for getting them to us.

Our first cruise was out of NYC. We flew from Buffalo. A couple of our bags did not make it. After numerous phone calls the airline told us our bags were still in Buffalo. They were taken off the plane because the plane was overloaded. The airline would would not even guarantee that they would send the bags first thing the next morning. Luckily, we were in New York a day early. After wandering around Times Square for a few hours in the morning we went back to our hotel around noon to leave for the port. Our bags had just arrived at the hotel. We have not flown Delta since then

We have had our luggage not make it to us. We went three days without it. The cruiseline worked with the airline to get it to us at our first port.

After that, I always bring three changes of clothes in my carry on (light dresses). Our travel insurance would have covered clothing purchases, but that was after a grandeur crash and there were no supplies... another thread in itself.

We met the greatest people who "loaned" us clothes, plus received free "ship shape" shirts from RCL. We had the most fun regardless:D

Yes - with flying more than 100 flights annually I feel lucky that it has only happened 3 times in 10 years. Lost two of four bags on family Alaska cruise and we learned we need way less for a great week. Have always cross packed so that worked out. End result is that we pack in two 22" carry on bags so that there are no checked bags to get lost and wash a few things mid way through the cruise.

I pack my carry on as if I will never see the rest of my luggage.... So far so good, I know the first time I fail to do this that my luggage will fall off the pier unnoticed :)

Gee, thanks! A new worry that never occurred to me before. ;)

I have family members that drove to port in NYC. There were two Carnival ships in port. One piece of luggage went on the the ship that went to Canada while they sailed to Bahamas. It was not good.....can only buy so much on the ship and in port. And....they wanted to go to upscale restaurant on ship for anniversary dinner and they were denied because they did not have proper attire.....really:eek:

I've only had 1 piece of luggage disappear but it was on the way home from Hawaii. It was delivered the next morning. This is what I do especially on a long trip or multiple airports. I always cross pack and carry essentials in my carry-on. I put a detailed description of the trip in the outside pocket and inside the luggage of each piece. Then I put the address of the hotel that will be our first stop or the ship along with my cell phone number in the luggage tag holder on each piece. When we head home I reverse the process. That is how the airline found us with the lost bag. That was the first trip I had added the phone number.

However, If you can change your flight so the connection time is longer, I would.

We lost our carry on luggage between the airport and hotel in Fort Lauderdale the night before our cruise. The shuttle area was quite busy and it was dark and one of our suitcases didn't make it in the shuttle van. Fortunately, we were able to locate our suitcase at the airport lost and found the next morning (after they opened).

Even though we flew with just carry on luggage, we did cross pack and were prepared to go without that suitcase, if needed.

We learned our lesson to watch for all our suitcases to get loaded in the shuttle van so we don't repeat that "not so fun" time!