And then there were four...

the_dylaness

We used to cruise a LOT.

Then we had a baby, took her on the Disney Magic @ 8 months, got noro, it was awful, haven't returned to cruising since.

Now we have two :)

Considering taking them (they'll be 4.5 and 14 months at time of cruise). Trying to determine best line... I'd like to try Azamara, Regent or maybe Crystal but I know they are not going to be great for that age group.

I know we want to cruise on a line that has a nursery/babysitting option. RCCL has in-room but it is 19/hr (WOW!). Would be good if babies can swim with swim diapers. Good food is a must. Would prefer a 2-bedroom cabin option. (We are considering taking a 16 y/o friend of a friend to nanny but most likely that will not happen. If that were the case we'd just get two separate rooms.)

I am thinking this means we want Royal Caribbean, Disney, or Norwegian. Am open to other ideas except Carnival unless a really strong case could be made. Would love some advice from veteran family cruisers- thanks!

RCI has nurseries on several ships that can be used for under threes. The nurseries are $6 or $7 per hour. On Oasis and Freedom class ships, they also have baby splash zone for kids in diapers. I believe Disney offers the same services on their ships.

Edited by RSLeesburg

Very few ships allow diapered people in the pools....some do have "splash pads"..not really a pool, just a wet spot for diapered people.

Some ships have "nursery" services for babies...andy "in room" babysitting is gonna cost you....

Good food.....that's so subjective. If you like Applebee's or Chili's...the ship's food will do the trick. If you're looking for Ruth Chris or Mortons, etc....you won't fine that on any mainstream cruise line.

Edited by cb at sea

If you wait until the 14 month old turns two, you can use the kids clubs on Cunard or Carnival.

If you need a nursery for a 6 month old - 3 year old, your options are limited to Royal Caribbean's new or refurbished ships, or Disney.

One other possible option to consider might be Princess. Children under 3 are allowed in the Kid Zone with parental supervision. That's not as easy as sailing on a ship where you can drop off your child, but I think you have sailed Princess before so you can decide if the line's advantages outweigh the loss of a drop off nursery. The Kids Zone staff is excellent, and they spent a lot of time helping my then two year old do arts and craft activities.

CB at sea is right. If your toddler being able to swim with swim diapers in the kids area is a priority for you, the ONLY ships that allow this as of May 2015 are all Disney ships and SOME RCI ships (Oasis and Freedom Class ships).

I have read here that an idea is to take an inflatable tub and fill it/dump it out in the shower on the pool deck on all other ships.

Edited by mobu2015

Norwegian's newest ship, the Escape, has been advertising a for-fee drop-off nursery for children under three, but it's only that one NCL ship.

They don't allow swim diapers anywhere.

I see from your signature you've done a number of lines.

1) Where are you looking to cruise to (just get away or tour cruise)

2) We just did our first with little one in March (he was 20 months at the time)

on Celebrity Summit (Eastern Caribbean)

At 20 months he didn't require much independent activity. We used the "toddler time" in the kids room to let him play. Other than that we walked around in port (he was in the stroller) or in the stroller around the ship.

We did use the babysitting 1 night and keep in mind you get 2 people for $19/hr which is actually a pretty good deal.

I go back to #1 as where you are looking to go as that may help determine the line. We had been looking at Cunard - but didn't go with them mainly because of an overnight flight with an <2 yr old

If it is more of a touring cruise - as of right now I would recommend Celebrity or Cunard

Disney. Disney has bigger rooms, and allow swim diapers in the splash pad area. Food is good. Disney had the nursery for littles, kid club for older. We dont use nursary to drop, but did use the open play time.

RCL was not kid friendly, and well, is likely are worse cruise.

We're going on carnvial, due to low price, but I can't comment on carnival with kids yet.

(we don't use babysiting)

If you wait until the 14 month old turns two, you can use the kids clubs on Cunard or Carnival.

If you need a nursery for a 6 month old - 3 year old, your options are limited to Royal Caribbean's new or refurbished ships, or Disney.

One other possible option to consider might be Princess. Children under 3 are allowed in the Kid Zone with parental supervision. That's not as easy as sailing on a ship where you can drop off your child, but I think you have sailed Princess before so you can decide if the line's advantages outweigh the loss of a drop off nursery. The Kids Zone staff is excellent, and they spent a lot of time helping my then two year old do arts and craft activities.

Plus, if you wait, kid will be potty trained and that solves the swim diaper issues!