After 20+ Cruises I finally got my First Upsell Offer!

Rosethorn40

We went thru Costco to book on HAL. Would we still potentially get upsell offer or does trip have to be direct thru HAL?

Has anyone used the big box store C and gotten an upsell offer? That would be interesting to know, as I would think they are too big to mess with it for you.

The upsells are a great deal and are one of the reasons we use a HAL PCC.

Edited by DaveOKC

We have taken 24 cruise, not all with the same line, and for the first time got an upsell on our last cruise on the Royal Princess. For $250pp we upgraded to a mini-suite. We did it mostly for the location, midship. The other one we had booked was on deck 15 all the way in the front. So it worked for us. :D

Edited by travellovers2

Has anyone used the big box store C and gotten an upsell offer? That would be interesting to know, as I would think they are too big to mess with it for you.

The upsells are a great deal and are one of the reasons we use a HAL PCC.

The big C will make the calls for you, but they do not monitor and call you. If one is available they will process it. They also offer more perks than HAL direct. In fact, they quoted a lower price than HAL PCC did.

The big C will make the calls for you, but they do not monitor and call you. If one is available they will process it. They also offer more perks than HAL direct. In fact, they quoted a lower price than HAL PCC did.

I am a bit confused. If C does not call you on upsells, how are you supposed to know about them (for them to process it for you)??

In my experience, you generally have to wait for HAL to decide to offer the upsell (the ones within 4 weeks and the very good deals) an then HAL sends out a mass email to direct bookers and TAs (for everyone else).

I do not doubt that C is cheaper to book, at least for some cruises, but it seems that you give up the very good upsells if you go with them. Now, if you do not care about upsells, then it would seems that C is the way to go.

I am a bit confused. If C does not call you on upsells, how are you supposed to know about them (for them to process it for you)??

In my experience, you generally have to wait for HAL to decide to offer the upsell (the ones within 4 weeks and the very good deals) an then HAL sends out a mass email to direct bookers and TAs (for everyone else).

I do not doubt that C is cheaper to book, at least for some cruises, but it seems that you give up the very good upsells if you go with them. Now, if you do not care about upsells, then it would seems that C is the way to go.

We normally book in the category we want to sale in, VS or Neptune. I don't want to book in an OV and hope for a VS. We won't be doing long cruises, over 30 days for another year. DW is still working. When we do the longer cruises then we will look at playing the up sale game from an OV.

We normally book in the category we want to sale in, VS or Neptune. I don't want to book in an OV and hope for a VS. We won't be doing long cruises, over 30 days for another year. DW is still working. When we do the longer cruises then we will look at playing the up sale game from an OV.

I understand your thinking. However, I was wondering if you do or do not receive upsells from C??

I understand your thinking. However, I was wondering if you do or do not receive upsells from C??

We have to call them. They then call HAL while we are on the phone. My old TA would call me with opportunities. She is with a credit card travel company.

Chiming in late on this topic...we have cruised with HAL twice. We booked directly with HAL as soon as the cruise we wanted opened for bookings.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam we booked a Signature Suite (SS) mid-ship, port side. We received an upsell offer to a Neptune Suite but HAL could only tell us it would be for a SB or SC (all the way forward or all the way back). Don't remember the price; we said no. The Signature Suite was a dream! Spoiled now, thanks HAL.

On the Volendam we booked a Vista Suite (A) mid-ship, port side. We worried it would be too small, but the ship has no Signature Suites and the Neptunes were pricey. We received an upsell offer to a Neptune Suite and they gave us the number (mid-ship)--directly across from the portside entrance to the Neptune Lounge. We took it after some HAL regulars replied to a post about any possible noise from the Lido Deck above being a non-issue. The Neptune Suite was a dream! Spoiled even more now, thanks HAL.

We just booked the Koningsdam directly with HAL as soon as bookings opened for our cruise for a Signature Suite (SS) mid-ship, port side. We like being spoiled. We would definitely consider a decently-priced upsell to a Neptune if SA, around the Neptune Lounge. If not, that's okay we have a cabin to be spoiled in.

We say no to upgrades. We might not like the cabin category or location. We're at that stage of cruising (thanks HAL) where the stateroom is an important factor in the overall enjoyment of a cruise. We book what we want and get surprised if we get an upsell offer, but we don't hope for one.

I wasn't expecting an upsell and accepted! I picked a comfortable inside cabin back when I booked in December. I even got a secret cabin! (Sorry Ruth, I had to give it up). A few weeks after I booked there was a huge price drop. Then in February there was a wee price drop (it all adds up!). Anyway, Friday afternoon I received an upsell offer for my cruise departing on Sunday. Net result--went from an inside "J" to an "A" category vista suite in a very good location for $1 per person less than what I originally paid!

Net result--went from an inside "J" to an "A" category vista suite in a very good location for $1 per person less than what I originally paid!

To go from "that" cabin ;) to one with a balcony, and save a buck in the process... Hummm. So long as you don't need the space (I do) in "that" cabin, I don't blame you one bit.

I'd be tempted to do it, too.

Enjoy.

What would be a fair upsell price to the PS from the Neptune?

In MAY they wanted $1700 per person for a 15 day cruise on the Maasdam. We passed on this.

IMO, I think $1000 pp would have been fair.