After 20+ Cruises I finally got my First Upsell Offer!

Rosethorn40

Just to repeat what's been said before, you never have to wait for an upsell offer, you can always inquire to see what's available. I don't know that I've ever received an unsolicited upsell offer, but I've frequently inquired and sometimes taken what's offered.

I agree. When I originally booked this cruise I booked an interior. About a week later the price for an interior had a significant price drop-for new bookings only (I was past final payment date). I called HAL directly to see if I could move into an OV for no increase, as it was now lower than what I had paid, and I received two offers. The first was to upgrade to a veranda for a fee. I can't remember what it was, but it didn't seem like that great of a deal. The second offer was to upgrade to a signature suite-guar. for $550 pp. I ended up paying $50 less per person for the Signature Suite, then the interior price I would have paid on another cruise line for nearly the same cruise, around the same time. This is why I am so happy with what I have :)

BTW-Thank you everyone for not pointing out to me my horrible math skills. I realize $899 + $899 does not =$1900, but closer to $1800. And I work for a bank :rolleyes:

You can counter offer it as well. Offer $499 or $599 and see what happened. I find the suites well worth it and you get the nice perks including laundry and Neptune Lounge on board.

Have fun

You might be able to counter. I've been told once I could and once I couldn't. It likely depends who answers the phone.

I have booked only 5 HAL cruises - all GTYs directly with HAL, no TA involved. I have received upsell offers on 2 of the 5 and hoping for a third (I sail on July 13). Is it possible HAL gives preference to those who book direct?

I think it's more likely. I used a ta for years and only saw an upsell once. Now I book directly and I see them for most cruises. If a ta has a special relationship with hal they will see them or if your bestie is the uosell manager at hal you would too. It goes without saying you are more likely to see them with lower level cabins than if you book neptune suites.

I think it's more likely. I used a ta for years and only saw an upsell once. Now I book directly and I see them for most cruises. If a ta has a special relationship with hal they will see them or if your bestie is the uosell manager at hal you would too. It goes without saying you are more likely to see them with lower level cabins than if you book neptune suites.

I suspect that the TAs all get the upsell offers, but some are better than others on following through on it (getting it to you in a timely manner). Most of the better upsell offers get taken quickly, so if the TA is slow on getting it turned around you likely would not get the cabin anyway.

As to counter offers, I have tried this a couple of times. HAL merely says "no" in most cases, so you have nothing to lose, plus it can put them on notice that you are interested in an upsell if prices drop later on. I did this once and a week after they said no, I got a call from my PCC saying that they called him directly with a new upsell, before the mass email went out to everyone. I got my pick of cabins and got a great (IMO) location.

We have received two rounds of upsells on both our last two HAL cruises, with prices significantly lower on the second round. The first cruise was booked with a TA, and she forwarded the emails to me which of course added time. I might have taken advantage of the second round of upsells, but by the time she forwarded the email to me we were already en-route, so too late.

The current trip we leave on tomorrow was booked directly with HAL. The two upsell emails came directly to me, with the second round of upsell prices WAY lower (more than 55% off the first round) so we decided to take advantage of it. Fortunately cabins were still available.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I'm a TA and don't have any particular relationship with HAL.

Back in the '90's the upsell offers would come either by phone or fax and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason (past passenger or first time on HAL).

These days, they come by email and usually within the last two weeks before departure. Naturally, I receive more offers for the larger ships and have received up to three or four within a two week span for the same sailing with the upsell amount dropping as it gets closer to the sail date. Sometimes even up to the day before sailing. In a few cases the passengers were surprised with a nice upgrade (for no additional cost) at the port.

I don't think it makes any difference in receiving the upsells whether you book directly through HAL or with a TA. I do think it helps, at the initial booking, to "tick" the box asking if you are willing to accept an upgrade (I can't remember the exact wording).

Edited by Aramis1932

Interesting theories. I have been told that "upgrade" offers are created by one department at HAL and "upsell" offers by a different department. Your comment about an "upsell manager" suggests this may be the case.

My experience has been that "upgrades" are higher priced than "upsells" and you usually lose your perks (however this can sometimes be negotiated). "Upgrades" tend to be available anytime prior to your cruise date and the price may vary depending on what you paid originally for your booking. In other words, the more you paid originally, the less the price of the upgrade. "Upsells" tend to be cheaper and you can keep your perks but they are only offered close to your cruise date. Also, the upsell prices are fixed regardless of how much you have paid previously for your booking.

These are just theories and certainly not hard and fast rules but I was wondering of others have seen the same behavior from HAL.

We have received two rounds of upsells on both our last two HAL cruises, with prices significantly lower on the second round. The first cruise was booked with a TA, and she forwarded the emails to me which of course added time. I might have taken advantage of the second round of upsells, but by the time she forwarded the email to me we were already en-route, so too late.

The current trip we leave on tomorrow was booked directly with HAL. The two upsell emails came directly to me, with the second round of upsell prices WAY lower (more than 55% off the first round) so we decided to take advantage of it. Fortunately cabins were still available.

Your experiences makes my point about booking with HAL directly if getting upsells is a big factor for you. No middle man involved (not even my HAL PCC).

We smile about upsells. We were going on a cruise (where we finally achieved 4 Star status) when we got a surprise e-mail from our TA about an upsell. We had booked one of our favorite forward porthole cabins on a long Prinsendam voyage for about $22,000 (total cost for 2). The upsell offer was for an additional $9,999 (I kid you not) to move up to a large suite. In terms of the published costs of the cabins it was actually a pretty good deal but the TA and I had a good laugh about the "bargain offer." We sent HAL a counter offer of $4999.99 to which they never even responded. And the cabin/suite in question was empty for the entire 2 month cruise (except when used a few days by some guest entertainers).

Hank

I'm a TA and don't have any particular relationship with HAL.

Back in the '90's the upsell offers would come either by phone or fax and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason (past passenger or first time on HAL).

These days, they come by email and usually within the last two weeks before departure. Naturally, I receive more offers for the larger ships and have received up to three or four within a two week span for the same sailing with the upsell amount dropping as it gets closer to the sail date. Sometimes even up to the day before sailing. In a few cases the passengers were surprised with a nice upgrade (for no additional cost) at the port.

I don't think it makes any difference in receiving the upsells whether you book directly through HAL or with a TA. I do think it helps, at the initial booking, to "tick" the box asking if you are willing to accept an upgrade (I can't remember the exact wording).

It does not matter whether you tick that box or not. Many, many posters have reported that they do not want an upgrade but they do receive upsell offers.

It does not matter whether you tick that box or not. Many, many posters have reported that they do not want an upgrade but they do receive upsell offers.

I normally check the do not upgrade box, yet I still get upsell offers.

Interesting theories. I have been told that "upgrade" offers are created by one department at HAL and "upsell" offers by a different department. Your comment about an "upsell manager" suggests this may be the case.

My experience has been that "upgrades" are higher priced than "upsells" and you usually lose your perks (however this can sometimes be negotiated). "Upgrades" tend to be available anytime prior to your cruise date and the price may vary depending on what you paid originally for your booking. In other words, the more you paid originally, the less the price of the upgrade. "Upsells" tend to be cheaper and you can keep your perks but they are only offered close to your cruise date. Also, the upsell prices are fixed regardless of how much you have paid previously for your booking.

These are just theories and certainly not hard and fast rules but I was wondering of others have seen the same behavior from HAL.

Your second paragraph confuses me.

Upgrades are no additional price to the guest

Upsells are for money over and above what has already been paid.

Your second paragraph confuses me.

Upgrades are no additional price to the guest

Upsells are for money over and above what has already been paid.

Glad I wasn't the only one.

I do hope the poster returns and explains himself.

I think the poster means when you upgrade yourself to a higher cabin.

Thank you Cruz Chic, that is exactly what I meant. Whenever I see a price drop after final payment, I call HAL and use this as an opportunity to try and get a cheap Cabin Type upgrade. Once in a while this works to my satisfaction, but usually not. The offers are not that great and I usually lose my perks.

My strategy when booking HAL cruises is to book an OV GTY directly with HAL with the intention of moving to a verandah or suite using the upgrade/upsell path. I often get free Cabin Category upgrade offers but what I am really after is the Cabin Type upgrade or upsell.

I was wondering if HAL gives preference to direct bookers over those who book with TAs when it comes to paid for upgrades or upsells.

Thank you Cruz Chic, that is exactly what I meant. Whenever I see a price drop after final payment, I call HAL and use this as an opportunity to try and get a cheap Cabin Type upgrade. Once in a while this works to my satisfaction, but usually not. The offers are not that great and I usually lose my perks.

My strategy when booking HAL cruises is to book an OV GTY directly with HAL with the intention of moving to a verandah or suite using the upgrade/upsell path. I often get free Cabin Category upgrade offers but what I am really after is the Cabin Type upgrade or upsell.

I was wondering if HAL gives preference to direct bookers over those who book with TAs when it comes to paid for upgrades or upsells.

We"ll never know. I believe they do but of course those that use TAs or are TA's don't want to believe that. I remember one cruise on the eurodam in 2013. Many people on the roll call got upsell offers. My ta didn't so she called. They told her I didn't qualify for it. I paid a very high price for the cruise so it didn't have to do with that. To me that tells me TAs do not get the same offer unless your ta has a special relationship to the upsell dept.

We"ll never know. I believe they do but of course those that use TAs or are TA's don't want to believe that. I remember one cruise on the eurodam in 2013. Many people on the roll call got upsell offers. My ta didn't so she called. They told her I didn't qualify for it. I paid a very high price for the cruise so it didn't have to do with that. To me that tells me TAs do not get the same offer unless your ta has a special relationship to the upsell dept.

I agree and it makes sense. I am sure HAL covets direct bookers because of the commission they save but cannot afford to alienate the TAs by giving direct bookers better deals transparently. This is a non-transparent way of creating loyal direct bookers.

I agree and it makes sense. I am sure HAL covets direct bookers because of the commission they save but cannot afford to alienate the TAs by giving direct bookers better deals transparently. This is a non-transparent way of creating loyal direct bookers.

Someone at HAL once told me that it's a combination of things, direct booking plus price paid. Just what I was told, I don't know. We have been upgraded 99% of our cruises, and we book direct.

Someone at HAL once told me that it's a combination of things, direct booking plus price paid. Just what I was told, I don't know. We have been upgraded 99% of our cruises, and we book direct.

Thanks for the info. I kind of heard the same thing, although I got the impression the price paid does effect upgrade offers but does not effect the last minute upsell offers.

This made sense to me because the upsell managers are attempting to improve overall revenue from the cruise and are probably not concerned with the revenue already in the bank. A flat upsell offer of $999 probably looks a lot more attractive to bookers of cheap fares so they will jump on it quickly. HAL gets $999 instead of a lesser amount from someone who paid a higher fare.

Thanks for the info. I kind of heard the same thing, although I got the impression the price paid does effect upgrade offers but does not effect the last minute upsell offers.

This made sense to me because the upsell managers are attempting to improve overall revenue from the cruise and are probably not concerned with the revenue already in the bank. A flat upsell offer of $999 probably looks a lot more attractive to bookers of cheap fares so they will jump on it quickly. HAL gets $999 instead of a lesser amount from someone who paid a higher fare.

Agree! And would explain the ridiculous last minute upsell offers we have gotten.

• 3 weeks later...

Our last couple of cruises we booked directly with HAL, on the phone. Sometime after that, we had a call from a PCC at HAL suggesting she become our agent. We said fine, what could she do for us.... Actually nothing on the cruises we had already booked, although she called me when we got back from Alaska on Wednesday, and said she would be on the lookout for us for an upgrade/upsell or more perks on the next cruise, and would keep in touch. We still haven't booked anything with her, but we'll try that route next. Just have to figure out where we want to go!:)