Sony A6000

c230k

We recently spent five days in Paris and came back to the U.S. on the inaugural transatlantic of RCI's new Anthem of the Seas. It was a fantastic trip, but what has just happened in Paris is so horrific. It's hard to believe we were there just a few weeks before the attacks. My heart goes out to the people of Paris.

I took this in Notre Dame with the Rokinon 12mm lens

Notre%20Dame%20nave%20UWA%201024x500_zps39ou9xru.jpg

Among the lens carried on my last trip was the Sigma 19mm on the NEX-7.

Dave wrote highly about the lens.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/tommuitommui987/DSC00473_zpsa2swwzc4.jpg

Don't know who these people in the photo were but what impressed me - along with the other shots taken with the 19mm was the detail captiured.

If you loupe the first doorway on the left, you can read the name on the doorway!

Even after fumble-fingers delivered it, the Sony 18-105 "G" f4 lens is fine, in one piece - well packaged luckily.

Fooled around a little with it and I think I will enjoy having it as a capable "do-it-all" type lens.

Definitely heavier than kit lens', but with the Black Rapid strap it is easy to carry and once up to my eye it is wonderfully balanced and comfortable to use.

The zoom range is very adequate for my use - wide enough for some architectural stuff but can reach out to a decent amount when needed.

Got a few test shots at the local arts center - indoors at 1/50 to 1/25 are nice and sharp and well exposed:

18bG27hX2vLNmJT7sTMS2BpmXdETFAXcyEeu5QCARxgmfxyX2IqBvsjYf8Jdwic9nN4IwNJfwv_Zowk6TL6XjKGZ4eu-ptW1k89t3BgdauFqBHt49MJp9MnO5gnSI8MPQ0o7oI-rDM9hmqy_uXvfcK7T3Kl7xOBgC7bX-z0-8GF-pwYUXKJOdGkRio0wtBUaR7qAdwbmdzOCgV900LcXM5kKirnLBWNHsf_IyUUMlvjcncT3qpqgBJZhuJzXi0M3tV14PYk_OMox40jC_AhpV400HP8DtCKYEJThp3fpq3oMf4QNz3pFERwhlZOaD9RCRJnns3fGYrCnTxTZ7NDzvkXp51cTmFrOpOkaujVq1Toh737H0tZ2EC8hRU-xKJoPt9Thss3XK02iJhnLdHRnG-q7nhHvkZ9Ie017nv28HNblqKUuJHPxZkBt-aLe_O0YMh6CBK6SjC0yM_F6J0S0vpqwSvXEhurbhJKHqJZoWdsfoJnIwzJ9fAbQ6sHEjhlCeoTpovgcyQJNQRFpae0vdY2Ze_ZMyY5z=w1006-h671-no

Outside they are crystal clear zoomed in fully with expected fast shutter speeds and medium apertures:

PDANEZOJTLrqCKAe6Yn3o4oLEBbFAZ8_rtLXZZsCYZPFAnKMN815lo-8nG7oI6hLTrxI-K2DVmOVyYPiJrgiPfzAAPOYwZplQMK1wdUmUbuaQ6kBRDXDxxon5D31Eh7bLQn--2nVBLVrdWZhuZTi90bDk_6osV0jMQZRN2cpUIkdXGtaDqeTbMl01rXV9CEcGwsF0qsJU3g5WK7VBNXI0uO5NeFU5hCVnIAoXxwlnaPCbb2W04-PL3yP3BD8H-exsvmYtLtm1QpCNKD18l-ap9y9UVEH0rkuYVadhlaRLM2Esh9R_lVoJikl1VqMczJr0CnIKcsquX_QR-I45BrRrqP1wDkBVDAWwR26RG7aIdGfaxNXaBF0Z5sTGO3x4rKPfMOWNq3nS96Hdt7rwFmxNJUiMpfC3DXAYp2tl9KkB7e_HT67iR6Xj5u4bu1FVwmTPeVBa57Be8I4rn-vhZfTDYyvmKEQRATzdMShWbIgZFCYKPb7TBtJNGAzafn7q7X8PmIC1AME7wiPiW10NiwRLgdx64Rf10AU=w1006-h671-no

Indoors with the camera flash aimed at the ceiling is equally wonderful:

PyBJehctdvzFgtcLMeA8WRrmNdeIx9emMlfhN5UevICjt4PweZGWg_6oaj7sKZp2gQ0GqLZfw8vf8rgqG3vwPtXsdMAG9kxCTgFxuTquSZE_-0XKKpRJOQX7yuHvDyDAO-pi_bZKQ33LYhzlB0jsNHicbYvE3vyAbVXZHw2Z-urkP6Lm6tqoIJem6nX7ac6DTMGQaj2x929HfmGMvDOoku5UBXJXeSZHTupYg6h4wjKnB_3jlnjuJY2pF8Ooo-fhjWVYIvD32fpg5F44oU-wEuH0uxtlCNQcLFQY0858jgAfSxwbO-DXa8H8vwHcrnBtmqrlD8_mMSA1eFetRUYbUlFpSd8MQnnjIPIze78F1WZ38OPUjpHYyxfic3OOze4shfXQEhDVR4kjsC12GAa2oZwwhADtNBLCyCmBxpSZJxAr22X-0v1nXUBSFS2D4dPsQWZePBEPqQpL5aUEWfSQBq2p4k0MkDXDeeDrMBjUy-XweTNB2x2fCtwWLl0as7CP2FRfDsR_ilfzZ653U8lzcOLdnyLNwK0T=w1006-h671-no

I am looking forward to next week with the holiday and the grandkids - this should work well getting natural light shots from more of a distance than the 50mm.

I have a wedding scheduled for next year and this little item seems to be a good idea to eliminate frequent battery changes on a heavy shooting day. Would likely leave it home for travel but good to have for the abovementioned purpose and maybe star trails.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-Vertical-Infrared-Batteries/dp/B014QVDFJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448297451&sr=8-1&keywords=neewer+a6000

Gary Fong did an unboxing video on YouTube:

81Lmk2FUAbL._SL800_.jpg

Also: Seasonal pricing on A6000 - $398 Body only, $548 with the 16-50 and $697 with the 16-50 and 55-210.

That's an awful lot of camera for just north of $500.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I just returned a canon g16 in favor of 6000. I had the opportunity to shoot with both side my side. I just hope this 75 yr old man can use it. Going to Alaska next June and what some excellent pictures. I am sure I will have plenty of questions. Also just booked a southern carb cruise for 17 just use camera

on sale at Samy's with 2 lenses for under $700.

Couldn't find iy but I assume it would be with the 16-50mm kit lens and the 50-210mm zoom. Sounds good though,

Still debating about a 42mm-105mm as oppose to a 27mm=150mm lens (35mm equivalent) = of course the former is a "FE" with great DxO ratings and the latter has a better range for us lazy types.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

(But Tom says Christmas is only once a year - :-)

Ordered mine a couple days ago from Best Buy using their early access to Black Friday Pricing. Camera, two lenses, case and memory card for $699. Excited to get it in and get some practice before Christmas and our next cruise!!

Merry self-gifting!

Enjoy the new camera!

Dave

Anyone using a metabones adapter on their A6000? I have a bunch of Nikon lenses I'd like to use.

New entry in the market has support for electronic connection and AF for Nikon lenses. Brand new available for pre-order on eBay. Caveat emptor is my advice but reviews will doubtless pop up soon after it is available.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/in-case-you-missed-it-its-relisted-commlite-nikon-f-to-sony-e-af-autofocus-electronic-lens-adapter/

Dave

Edited by pierces

Dave:

Thanks for the reply and link. Looks like the jury is still out on the autofocusing capabilities. No phase detect autofocus on the A6000, just contrast, which usually means slow autofocus. I'll pass on this one.

Edited by robjan245

Dave:

Thanks for the reply and link. Looks like the jury is still out on the autofocusing capabilities. No phase detect autofocus on the A6000, just contrast, which usually means slow autofocus. I'll pass on this one.

Yes... I'm going to consider the eventual a6100/a7000 if it supports phase detect with the adapter.

Dave:

Like I said, caveat emptor! ;)

Anyway, even with an adapter that only passes electronic communication, manual focusing with the A6000 is very easy with the focus magnifier and focus peaking. On my DSLR, the Lensbaby was very hard to manage because you could hardly tell where the sharp spot was. With peaking on my A77 and now on the A6000, it couldn't be simpler to spot where sharp focus is. Working with a traditional manual lens like the Rokinon 12mm is even easier.

Get adapter, focus manually, rinse and repeat!

Dave

Edited by pierces