Sony A6000

c230k

Hi all...I followed your advice about taking my camera to the beach for my last cruise and it worked out just great. We now have a southern Caribbean Cruise coming up in December and I have some excursions planned including a land and sea Excursion and a catamaran sail with snorkeling. Is it safe to take my a6000 on those excursions or should I only take the Olympus tough camera that is waterproof? I hate to miss great pics out of the water. Thanks again you guys are great!

Hi all...I followed your advice about taking my camera to the beach for my last cruise and it worked out just great. We now have a southern Caribbean Cruise coming up in December and I have some excursions planned including a land and sea Excursion and a catamaran sail with snorkeling. Is it safe to take my a6000 on those excursions or should I only take the Olympus tough camera that is waterproof? I hate to miss great pics out of the water. Thanks again you guys are great!

Obviously, don't submerge the A6000 in water. Don't drop it in the ocean. Don't let salt water (or sand) get INSIDE the camera.

But if you're careful with it, keeping it in a water proof case when you're not actively shooting it, not using it in the middle of splashing water, you can be just fine. Just realize there is always a risk around sand and salt water. Typically, a few drops of water on the outside of the camera won't do any harm. But salt water is a bit more dangerous.

That's what I was thinking maybe keep it bagged up except for the land portion of the land and sea excursion. Even though I did fine with it on the beach in Cozumel I don't have an extra camera body or anything it's my one and only...maybe better safe than sorry. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me...as always I most appreciative

How big is too big? What is the largest size print you have made from a picture taken with your A6000 or 6300?

Just curious!

Vic

24x36 metal prints. We are replacing our old stuff and the metal really looks great. Both cameras fill a 24x36 very well.

Dave

I like how you tilted the camera diagon-ally!

Dave

The tilt absolutely worked, but was only partially intentional. I was using a gorillapod, placing it on a garbage can behind me, so I had to look down at the LCD from in front of, and above the camera... couldn't even get behind it. Gorillapods are great for light-travel, but they are a pain to get straight horizons. So I just went with the tilts.

Wish I had gotten the fire breathing, but I couldn't sit around waiting for it.

The tilt absolutely worked, but was only partially intentional. I was using a gorillapod, placing it on a garbage can behind me, so I had to look down at the LCD from in front of, and above the camera... couldn't even get behind it. Gorillapods are great for light-travel, but they are a pain to get straight horizons. So I just went with the tilts.

Wish I had gotten the fire breathing, but I couldn't sit around waiting for it.

Though I really did like the composition...I'm hope you realize you were standing in Diagon Alley at the time. :)

Got to love the double entendre!

Dave

Anyone have the Silver A6000 version. What are your thoughts compared to the black version.

Tom :cool:

I have the silver A6000. It matches silver and black lenses just fine; I have both colors. Several months ago, I picked up a like-new silver A6000 with a 16-50 lens for $428 on Amazon. It wasn't quite the deal I was expecting, but I was happy with it. I've never owned the black version, but have no reason to sell the silver version.

Is there any particular reason you ask?

My son as the A6300 (loves it) and was thinking of a backup camera. Thought the silver A6000 would be easy to find in his camera bag, when he wanted to user the A6000. Also his wife liked the color and the change would be fun.

5a13df_zpsi4agi296.jpg

My son as the A6300 (loves it) and was thinking of a backup camera. Thought the silver A6000 would be easy to find in his camera bag, when he wanted to user the A6000. Also his wife liked the color and the change would be fun.

5a13df_zpsi4agi296.jpg

I really wasn't mocking you before, Tom. The meaning was that there is no functional difference and the decision is purely based on aesthetics. Both of my A6xxx cameras are black and I have a mix of silver and black lenses. To be honest, I spend way more time looking at the back of the camera than the front and the color of the camera and lenses is way down on my list of factors when considering either.

I know that pros only use black cameras with white lenses...maybe that's why my images suck?

:)

Dave

Hey I swore I saw a white one when it first came out, it looked really sharp. I have the silver due the price difference when I bought it. I like having something a little different from everyone else to keep track of it.

John

Hey I swore I saw a white one when it first came out, it looked really sharp. I have the silver due the price difference when I bought it. I like having something a little different from everyone else to keep track of it.

John

Amazon still has them. Comes with a silver lens.

41APgM9GpKL.jpg

I remeber the Maxxum 8000i came in a white model. It was touted as "more resistant to heat in sunny conditions" with the same logic as the big white lenses. Short-lived fad. They just got too dirty to quickly.

white.jpeg

Dave

I have looked at this lens off and on for a long time and in most reviews it compares favorably with the manufacturer's versions with words like "hidden gem" in the conclusion paragraphs. The main complaint is that it, like any big-aperture prime, is rather hard to manually focus. Fortunately, I no longer shoot with an optical viewfinder and focus peaking would erase the main complaint. Near-equal performance to OEM lenses costing at or above the $2k mark from a $300 lens was tempting but I just never pulled the trigger with all the other things on my list demanding a share of our discretionary income.

711ZFEEqjFL._SL480_.jpg

So... Last year on Prime Day I was one of the multitudes that felt like I was driving by a garage sale with all the pages and pages of crap that Amazon dragged out of the dusty corners of their warehouses. Imagine my surprise when I saw the lens on sale for $228 as part of the 2:20 PM Lightning Deal!

I pulled out a few gift cards from the camera fund and did it. It's on it's way and I'll post samples and a mini-review when I get it.

I've had a lot of fun with manual primes and am more than a little eager to take this one for a spin.

Dave